Sunday, November 4, 2012

Hello, November. Let's do this.

I was reading the last couple of chapters of "A Little Bit Wicked," Kristin Chenoweth's autobiography, this evening. I loved all the little bits of words of wisdom and advice that she said all throughout the book, and I especially loved this particular one:

It's been said a thousand times, and it's true: if there's anything else you could be happy doing, you should do it.

I've been taking Le Bran classes at Dancing Queen studio once or twice a week, plus one-on-one sessions every once in a while. Julius was out of town this past week, so Bran was the one who took care of me when I came to the studio this Wednesday. He paired me up with Myron, one of their scholars (and the tallest one, at that), and had me learn the Bronze syllabus so I can quickly catch up with the Bronze bar class that will begin this week. Myron and I managed to cover the chachacha, the rumba, and the jive. We didn't have time to cover the samba and the paso doble, but Bran and Val got us to dance and review the chachacha and rumba with the others, and even took a video of it. I was glad that Bran liked that I managed to memorize the syllabus routine in such a short span of time.

By the way, when I was talking out the syllabus with Myron while I was writing them down, I mentioned a term for one of the steps in chachacha, and he said that the term was too advanced already. So when I looked them up online, I realized that Ian was already teaching me stuff from Bronze all the way to Gold, especially for the rumba!

Anyway, so the Bronze bar class will begin this Tuesday, and even though I have no idea how to come up with the money to pay for it (but Val and Bran did mention an early bird discount), I'm really considering taking the class so I won't get rusty until Ian takes me under his wing again.

I texted Ian earlier this evening about taking the classes at Dancing Queen, unless we start the workshop soon. I told him that I had to ask him first, given that I consider him his mentor, despite the fact that he teaches open classes instead of syllabus.

Ian called minutes after my text message, while I was reading the quote by Kristin Chenoweth that I posted at the beginning of this entry. He said that we'll be starting the workshop soon... next Sunday! He said we need to start soon because he really wants me to make my dancesport debut in March. So I need to keep practicing, as we'll be working at his studio with Simon by then. He told me to work on my turns (one of my biggest weaknesses), and stretch my body as much as I can so I can execute splits. I'm somewhat pressured, as this guy that will be my partner had already ranked 3rd in competitions.

Yikes. Can I do this? I'm excited, anxious, and nervous all at the same time!

2 comments: