Thursday, April 9, 2009

Of summer loves (thanks to Betty), outlets and new avenues.

Betty had written a note in Facebook aptly titled "Summer lovin'." Like her, the past 3 summers meant going to CCP after work to attend workshop in the evenings. She once again dubbed me as the National Artist for Workshops, hahaha.

I have to admit, I'll miss attending a workshop this year, as I have opted not to enroll for any of the workshops. I remember rushing straight from the office just to get to CCP in time that first year because heck, the "old school" punishment of singing in front of the entire class when you're tardy was implemented. The only time I arrived late, people had forgotten about the punishment because we were all literally beginning to be wrapped up in the world of our upcoming recital. Literally because that was the first day of script reading.

(By the way, I was so glad I found that Whose Line Is It Anyway is airing again on Star World. Hahaha, a couple of days ago, I saw this "game" called "Sit, Stand, Lie." It reminded me of the improv exercise we did during BA workshop that was similar to it, only instead of lie, the third person just has to be on the floor. That was pretty fun. It was the first improv exercise I wanted to do over and over again, hahaha.)

That second year wasn't as ngarag as the year before because there wasn't as much work to be done in the office that time (though I still had to rush from Makati to CCP). Last year was the complete opposite of both because I had resigned from work to return to school. I had so much time on my hands that I arrived in CCP early (with a side trip to McDonald's and the vending machine) to meet with Trency and Rayna so we could study our scripts together.

This year, I got a text from Gino saying that he's enrolling again for a workshop. Stage management, this time. I chose not to enroll, not just because of time and budget, but because I do manage to learn a lot in stage management (and get paid for it, ahahaha) through projects like the annual Virgin Labfest.

Opa had once hinted that she might enroll in one of the workshops this summer, and Betty started thinking about it as well. If they both do enroll, I may end up envying both or either of them, but I guess there are still so many avenues for me to explore.

At the beginning of the term, I found this ad in school about auditions for a production of A Midsummer Night's Dream (in Filipino, Isang Pangarap sa Gabi ng Gitnang Tag-Araw). Another thesis production. I mulled over the idea for a while, then shrugged it off as I walked to class. During class, I changed my mind and messaged the contact person, and told Lara about it as well. I auditioned in front of the thesis group and a camera, a spur-of-the-moment decision. Unlike Lara, I stopped thinking whether this was going to be a Tartuffe fiasco or worse, something like that whole Kapeng Malamig issue. So maybe I learned that I should do more research about the production before getting into anything, but of course, we should also learn to give people the benefit of the doubt (but not too much). So I tried out, read some lines, and got to talk to one of the people behind the thesis. They seemed professional enough.

Didn't hear anything from them for a month, until after the Crossroads stint ended. Dumb luck, hahaha. And on that first day, I never expected who would turn out as the other actors, so I guess I underestimated this thesis group. I was humbled and flattered at the same time that I almost didn't want to enter the room during the script reading, hahaha.

Well, Summer's Nights, Summer's Dreams will only last until the 17th (please watch, by the way, hahaha). Then Betty, Opa and I are gearing up for something in May, plus there's also Songs For A New World, but that latter one isn't even my project.

Of course, there's also the dance lab under Kyla. Hope I can still catch up after next week. Red and I are involved in the same production anyway, so maybe I'll join his one dance and check out the rest. This is one new outlet I'm dying to try, being the frustrated dancer that I am. I have yet to find out other details soon after Holy Week.

Well, here's to both old and new outlets and avenues to explore for y'all as well.

6 comments:

  1. Lucky you!
    My summer is as non-theatrical as it gets. xD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I agree. Give people the benefit of the doubt. But of course, you can't help but doubt sometimes, hehe. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, hahaha. Though sometimes there could also be such a thing daw as being too wary. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dibale na walang workshop basta busy pa rin!

    ReplyDelete