Thursday, April 26, 2012

Taking ballroom dancing seriously. Well, something like that.

In my last blog post, I talked about attending a sampling class for ballroom dancing under Big Shift studios before they formally began their summer classes. I had so much fun during that one hour of dancing that I finally decided to enroll. So I did, and even availed of their limited buy one, take one package promo, which doubled my class units even though I opted to get the smallest unit package.

I had enrolled last Monday, and my class was scheduled at 1:15pm that day. I had the same teacher who facilitated our sampling class, and when class began, I realized that there was just me and another girl, whom I recognized as the advanced dancer in the sampling class. I forgot her name though.

Ian (the dance instructor) was pretty cool. We tackled the basic rumba that afternoon (basic footwork first for me, more on technique and hip movement for the advanced), and it was so much fun. Another advanced dancer joined us after a while, and I found out that the younger girl had been Ian's student since she was little, and the elder one had already been dancing for 3 years. I looked at their pretty dance shoes with little envy, while I was dancing in my socks as so my footwork could be observed.

Anyway, it was pretty fun dancing along with the advanced students, and I did manage to pick up a lot fairly quickly. And because of that, we even managed to cover the basic cha cha cha (yes, it's not called just the cha cha) before class had to end.

I eagerly returned to class the next day, just so I can make good use of all my class units. As it turned out, I was going to be the only student that day, but Clang, the kickboxing and Zumba teacher, decided to join the class. We reviewed the rumba and covered more of the cha cha cha. Clang was amused that I was really enjoying the class and encouraged me to keep going, and maybe even try competitive dancing. Wow. It's like that offer I regretted accepting 4 years ago.

I attended my 3rd session this afternoon, and this time, I was really the only student. There were 2 moms who tried to check out the class because their kids were enrolled in the class that was going on at the same time at the other studio. They also got to join in right on until the very end. We did the mambo, and to my relief, it's simpler than the last couple of dances we've done. But of course, being the only (enrolled) student, we worked pretty fast, going through all the steps quickly and making pretty good use of the time. Super fun!

Ian even quipped that I might actually become a "ballroomista," if that even is a real word, hahaha! Who knows? Maybe I will. But I first need to get a pair of dancing shoes.

No classes again tomorrow, due to the dance studio's formal inauguration. But at least there's still the Saturday class. And of course, I want to go back to belly dancing again in CCP in the morning. I missed 2 Saturdays already.

So far, with everything I've been blogging these past few months, this year has been pretty different. And I'm enjoying it so far. I wonder what the rest of the year has in store for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment