Friday, May 4, 2012

This could just be a phase. But then again, maybe not. Shall we dance?

I'm nearing the end of the second week of my ballroom dancing classes, and I'm loving it even more. I've been attending every off-peak afternoon class since they began, and even though I'm still struggling with some of the technique (the curacha is a basic movement, but still a challenge for my hips, plus I still have a lousy turnout), I always look forward to every session. I don't think I'll ever get sick of learning the rumba no matter how challenging it can be.

After having so much fun during this afternoon's class, I had quite a realization. True, I've always been fascinated with ballroom dancing since the seventh grade, and always enjoyed it when there comes an opportunity to dance it. One of the things I recently love about this dance class is that it makes me forget about all the bad vibes that's happening to me outside the dance studio. Looking at myself in the mirror while dancing, I may have a little look of concentration, but once I get the hang of it, I notice how I instantly light up and relax.

It somehow feels so different from the acting workshops I used to take. I remember that there were some days when I feel so anxious before coming to workshop class, anticipating every step, already afraid of doing the wrong thing even though nothing had happened yet. Not that I didn't enjoy taking the workshops. I do love it, as theater is still one of my passions. But I guess my interest in performing took a different turn this year. Thank goodness an opportunity to dance ballroom finally opened up for me.

There's also this funny thing about my name. Everywhere I go, I'm usually called by my nickname. At the dance school, where there is literally no one who knew me anywhere else prior to the beginning of the classes, I'm known as Christine. Heck, Ian even calls me Tin. And I have to admit, it feels nice to be called only by my given name again.

I remember telling Lara through text about blessings in disguise. I had wanted to re-enroll in a rehearsal and performance techniques class in TP, but it wasn't offered this summer. Plus I had been offered to work backstage for a play that I've always wanted, and rehearsals begin this month. It was immediately plucked away when I was about to reach for it, because I didn't reply right away. Those doors were closed, but then came the window of opportunity when I saw the ad for this new dance school that was offering summer workshops. One free sampling class later, and I had signed up. And here I am, dancing the rumba almost every day alongside the occasional professional dancer.

Shall we dance?

4 comments:

  1. I shall watch you dance, Christine / Tin. :D Glad to see you're enjoying!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, my "secret identity" has been revealed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dumadanseuurrr si Ateeeeeee Christine!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wahahaha! Nagfi-feeling lang. =P

    ReplyDelete