Monday, October 15, 2012

Dance to stand out, and some musings while watching a competition.

Last month, I got to watch A Chorus Line (the 1985 film) for the first time.

Of course, we all know the story of the play. Chorus dance auditions. Precision, moving as one. Then there's Cassie, a dancer in need of a job, but she was told that she was too good to be in the chorus. When she was allowed to audition along with the rest, she couldn't blend in at first.

That's when I started thinking about it. I took all those theater workshops, and I was just content to just be cavorting in the chorus. Did I really want that?

Then I started watching dancesport competitions. Last Saturday was the second competition that I got to watch. You had to dance your ass off in order to be seen. No blending in with the rest of the dancers. You just have to keep showing off what you can do best.

So yeah, I went to watch the 16th DSCPI National Championships at the Ninoy Aquino Stadium last Saturday. I was glad the venue was closer this time, so it's easier to go there. I went by my lonesome, but I didn't really mind. At least I get to sit anywhere I want if and when I need to transfer, and don't have to drag anyone along with me.

The first part of competition was the Standards, so I didn't have to rush in the morning, because I wanted to see all of the Latin events. But of course, it was still a delight to watch the Standards because of its elegance and beautiful dresses. But I still don't get why anyone would choose a color like neon orange, neon pink, neon green, or even florescent yellow? Aside from the fact that you really will stand out in those, I mean.



Another thought that came to mind that day was that I actually enjoyed my anonymity. Like in the local theater scene, practically everyone knew everyone else. In that venue, I felt like an alien in another world. Every time someone would pass by, even in our area for spectators, someone would wave and say hi to a whole bunch of people. And there was me. Someone who sat next to me did ask who I was watching. I mentioned the name of my teacher, and he instantly knew who I was talking about. Of course, he did assume right away that Ian and Bon were actually twins, and I just had to laugh.

Then there's also the fact that you have to compete with your friends. I wonder what that felt like, considering that you both want that pretty trophy, or at least rank the highest that you can possibly can.

Pushing that last thought aside, it amused me how supportive everyone can be. By the time the Latin part of the event rolled around, a lot of people started cheering for the participants, shouting out their numbers all throughout the events.





For this competition, they added a Latin Wheelchair event, which totally amazed me.




Even in those wheelchairs, those dancers rocked the floor! There was even one couple where the guy in the wheelchair managed to somehow wheel over his partner while she was on the floor during one dance (was it the jive?). Everyone went crazy and cheered when they saw it. Too bad I didn't get to take a video of it.

Ian and Ate Helen placed 2nd in one of their 2 events (Special Event 2F C: 3-dance). The couple that came in first had a plus-sized girl that I had actually been watching since the midyear ranking. I admired her because even though she was plus-sized, she danced as fiercely as the rest of the skinny girls, and she made the champion title. And who said that just because you're skinny and pretty, you can have them all?



In the other event that they were in (Special Event 2A: 5-dance), Ian and Ate Helen placed 4th, while Bon and his partner Beth came in 2nd.



This is only the second time that I watched a dancesport competition live, and I always leave it inspired. It made me feel a little more excited when the time would come that it would be my turn to compete.

I found Ian, Ate Helen and Bon outside the stadium after the whole event, so I said hello and congratulated them. Ian then told me that he already found a partner for me, and that I resume classes with him soon to prep up for next year's first quarter ranking and competition. My golly, he really wants me out there by next year. So yeah, after brief exchanges on Facebook after I had posted photos and videos of Saturday's event, I start next month. I have 2 weeks to get back in top shape before I go back under Ian's wing. Let's do this!

No comments:

Post a Comment