Thursday, October 18, 2012

Voiceless, but that's no excuse to practice.

So I lost my voice again. This sucks. And I have to go back to work tomorrow, plus I'm getting back in shape before my teacher takes me under his wing again next month. So I'm going to be mute when I take another dance class tomorrow.

When I was at the nationals last Saturday, Julius invited me to join a class at this dance studio in Makati Cinema Square. I was curious, but not quite yet. Then Ian told me (as a comment on one my photos of the nationals on Facebook) that we start my workshop with him this November, and possibly with Simon, the partner that he found for me. Well, that's what he said.

Of course, I didn't want to just sit around idly waiting for that. I needed to practice so I won't get rusty. And because there wasn't a ballroom class at Big Shift this season, I decided to ask Julius about that class that he mentioned. It was actually a dance fitness workout class held everyday, so I clocked out early from work yesterday to check it out.

Dancing Queen studio was still closed (like the rest of the shops) when I had arrived at MCS, so I waited until 10am, when Julius and his co-worker, Brando (who was the one conducting the class), arrived.

I got introduced to Brando and Val (the nice lady who gave me a flyer and a form to fill out), and then class immediately started, with me only having enough time to quickly strap on my shoes.

The dance fitness workout is called Le Bran, and like Zumba, it's focuses on fitness, weight loss, toning, and all that jazz. The only difference is that it's actually designed from the Latin ballroom dances. And yes, you probably guessed it, the one who designed it was Brando himself. During the class, I was back to dancing the rumba, the chachacha, the samba, the jive, and even some salsa. Super fun!

After the class, I got to talk to Brando, Val and Julius about the Le Bran sessions plus the other ballroom dance classes, and I couldn't believe my ears when they said that I've got the potential. They had noticed I knew most of the 5 Latin competition dances (I haven't been taught the paso doble), and they had assessed that I can easily catch up with the Bronze bar level class next month if I take special classes now with Julius. Wow, a syllabus class. I never experienced a syllabus class because I'm the only regular student at Big Shift while the rest just come and go, so Ian just teaches an open class.

I'm coming back tomorrow for Le Bran and a class with Julius. And if the price is right, I might keep this up along with Ian's workshop to prep myself up for my first competition ever.

In other news, due to a cough, I lost my voice again. This is the third time this year. I don't really mind, really, but it means clocking in less hours at the office, when I need to be earning more to pay for classes. Plus I'm doing the first reading in the mass of Aris and Karla's wedding. What a lousy time to lose my voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment