Monday, June 2, 2008

2 more recitals.

After class and hanging out with Drei and Ting yesterday, I headed off to Onstage Theater at Greenbelt for Robbie's workshop class showcase of Jekyll and Hyde. Peachy had recruited me as a front-of-house volunteer, so I decided to watch the DTR, knowing that I won't get to watch the opening. Too bad the rehearsal had already started by the time I got to the theater.

I had forgotten that this was a beginner's class, but there are some people in the cast that seemed promising. One girl even took over someone else's role just that very day. Did someone get "fired" or something? The girl who played Lucy was pretty okay, though she did give a pop-ish feel to "Someone Like You." And the guy who played Hyde (Harold's lookalike, hahaha!), holy kamote, I fear for his voice. Sundee had simply said that he sings that way because he's a rocker, but hello, even rockers have to take care of their voices, right?

By the second act, I was sitting in the same row where Robbie and Peachy were at, with the projector table. Peach handed me a bag containing all of the tickets that the workshoppers had reserved for their guests, as well as a whole bunch of SRO tickets, as the show was already sold out (huwaw). She told me a few basic things about the tickets, then Harold volunteered to assist me (relief!). Etienne suddenly appeared minutes later, saying that there are a whole bunch of people already lined up outside, so I headed out along with one of the OJTs (I forgot her name, sorry!) to man the FOH table.

FOH was... crazy, hahaha! Remember how much I sucked at math every single time with Atlantis shows? But Harold the human calculator saved the day. In time, we got things under control, but we couldn't leave the table even when the show was starting. Poor guy, Harold even paid for his ticket and he didn't get to see the opening number. But I don't get it, if this workshop showcase is under Rep, why don't they have their own people manning the FOH? *shrug* Harold and I ended up catching the last quarter of the first act while sitting on the stairs by the time we were done.

After the intermission, I ended up sitting on the stairs again, this time next to Andrei and Toff at the loge section. Better view, yay, and I didn't really mind where I sat because I had seen those parts already except for the last few scenes. Andrei and Toff had to leave early so I finally managed to get my bum on a seat cushion, hahaha.

Congratulations to Robbie, Caisa, Peachy (the birthday girl!), Janina and the A6 class! You guys did great!

This afternoon, after Tad had come over at my house, we headed to Starmall here in Las Pinas for my cousin David's school recital. Yep, I'm so darn proud of my cousin's music school. Hahaha. Kaths, my closest cousin in the world, was also there as one of the two hosts along with David's friend Angie. Hahaha, half the time that Tad was there (he had to leave early so he can rest for a shoot early tomorrow morning), we were chuckling at those adorable Korean kids who had taken voice lessons. There was also this one 6 year-old boy who played the drums with his teacher's band. That kid was amazing. For a while, you'd think that he was slowing the band down, but when you start to listen, it was actually the band that wasn't following his consistent beat.

Wahaha, one of the voice students, this sassy pre-teen girl (who had 2 noisy and equally sassy and annoying friends behind me) sang "Someone Like You" from Jekyll and Hyde, hahaha! As if I hadn't had enough of it last night!

The last part was my favorite part of the recital, where the teachers have their turn to perform. God's Awesome Power Choir's rendition of "Kruhay" and "Manila" was very catchy and lively, I love it! And Patrick, my voice teacher last year, even sang "All I Ask of You" from Phantom of the Opera with my teacher-to-be, Anne.

Despite the lack of technicals and lighting, I would say that the recital was a success. My oh my, I can't wait to re-enroll for more voice lessons. Of course, I had better crack open my Solfege book first. Dave, don't forget our new agreed-upon family discount, hahaha!

14 comments:

  1. Nice to see you're still using the phrase "holy kamote". Hahaha :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha, hindi pa rin yan nawawala. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "But I don't get it, if this workshop showcase is under Rep, why don't they have their own people manning the FOH? *shrug*..."

    in rep, nothing is free... and we couldn't afford to pay FOH... ergo asking FRIENDS like YOU! haha! thanks for the HELP!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha, kaya pala. No prob! All for the love ito for you guys! =) Congrats again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. eh kasi we were running super short on finances and we'd have to pay rep employees for that! we had to pay rep for a lot of things. crazy, y'noe... that's why we needed the love of hogi cadlum. woohoo!!! :)

    hahah the name of the other ojt is elai :p

    anyway super thanks again for helping out! twas a happy bday gift!!! HAHA :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahaha, wala lang, just weirded out. Napaisip lang ako na since the workshop is under Rep, they have to take care of the entire workshop, including showcase. Ganun sa Playshop and TP eh. So usually di na dapat yun extra expense, haha. Pero well, the love of Hogi Cadlum is pretty cheap, lambing lang ang presyo, hahahaha! =)

    Hope you enjoyed your birthday, Peach! Mwah! =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. well, like rob said.. there's no such thing as FREE in rep! HAHA :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hahahahahaha! Beg, steal and borrow pa rin talaga in any way possible.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hahaha. Buti na lang di tayo warfreak mode nun! :P

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hahaha, oo nga! Super thanks for volunteering as well, even though you did pay for your ticket! =)

    ReplyDelete