Monday, December 7, 2009

P-R-O-P-O-S-A-L: My Favorite Moment of the Bee.

"You're back???" Miss Bernice had asked when I was the one who greeted her at the door at Atlantis' 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee's preview show.

Nope, I'm not back with Atlantis. I'm just ushering for this run of Spelling Bee. Charo, the usual head usher, had gone to the US, so Lawyn's sister Johanna and I took her place, alternately briefing the celebrity and audience guest spellers for each show.

I have to say, it's been a while since I've been with ushers from Blue Rep, but every batch is equally quirky, and I get pretty amused just watching them.

And so far, I have to say that last night's show was pretty eventful. First of all, there were no pasaway guest spellers unlike the previous ones since preview, hahaha. (Oh, the horror of those spellers from adult night.) Nikki had already been briefed the night before while I was chatting with Geli on YM. And Jinky? She followed everything to the letter, but she was laughing so hard while she was onstage that she was practically in tears, hahaha! Nice to know that she hadn't changed a bit after years of not seeing her.

Other than that, there's one special moment that made last night's show very memorable. Joel had proposed to Emy in front of the entire Spelling Bee audience! Woohoo!

But let me backtrack a bit.

Sometime last week, before one of Spelling Bee's preview shows, Lawyn and I were sitting in the audience just hanging around and waiting. Joel was talking in hushed tones with Bobby and Chari several rows in front of us. I accidentally overheard something that Bobby had said and tried to tune it out. I suddenly remembered this one guy who had also proposed to his girlfriend at Spelling Bee's previous run. Interesting.

Then another time, Joel approached the front-of-house and asked Ate Sally if he could let her accommodate a couple of his friends who just want to watch the curtain call of one show. The hushed conversation I accidentally saw slipped from my mind, and just assumed that these friends probably just wanted to see the Christmas medley that the cast performs for this run, hahaha.

(Maybe I'm just rationalizing, but I can't help but include this. The night before the proposal, I had a dream that I was being proposed to also. Weirdness.)

Anyway. I found myself slipping inside the theater during mic check before Sunday's evening show (to look for Lawyn, I think). I saw Joel, Bobby and Chari talking again in hushed tones, and this time with Cathy. I slipped back out of the theater so as not to be rude, but I was suddenly thinking, could this be the day? My question was answered when Bobby and Chari handed cameras to Lawyn to cover the show's curtain call. Lawyn's look confirmed what was going to happen. Hahaha, it was all super secretive, that even the cast (save for Cathy, of course) didn't know. Lawyn was even looking over a seat plan to find which seats were vacant so she could position herself there with the cameras. Because Lawyn was tasked to take photos and video, she handed me the video recorder so she won't harass herself doing both.

Before the show was about to end, Chari instructed us to cover the Christmas medley as well so we won't miss a single moment of the whole thing. So during the final song, Lawyn and I positioned ourselves into 2 vacant orchestra seats that had a decent view of everything. My gahd, funny thing was that my hands were getting clammy. Hahahaha, pati ako kinabahan kasi baka shaky ang pagkuha ko ng video.

Anyway, so after the Christmas medley, I was still recording and Lawyn was still snapping away. Cathy (still in character as Miss Peretti) then made an announcement concerning an audience member about some confiscated item, and called Emy up onstage. Murmurs and whispers filled the air, and once Joel had assisted Emy to center stage and went down on one knee, even the cast members' jaws dropped to the floor! Despite my giddiness, I'm still hoping right now that the video I recorded of the proposal wasn't too shaky, ahahaha.

Of course, because this was Joel, there had to be a classic Joel Trinidad moment. When he was about to slip the ring on Emy's finger, he had no idea which hand, hahaha! "It's my first time to do this." HAHAHAHAHA!

Congratulations to Joel Trinidad and Emerita Alcid! We're all so happy for you! And we're also glad to witness this awesome moment with you.

After the show, that's when I started thinking again about that dream I had. I once had a dream that I was pregnant, and it turned out that someone I knew was also pregnant. And strangely enough, I had a recurring dream of childbirth, but unfortunately, the same friend suddenly had a miscarriage. And now, I had a dream of a marriage proposal, and someone I know proposes to his girlfriend.

I was pondering over it with Nicco last night and he said na may powers daw ang dreams ko, hahaha. Labo. Hehe, sige, doncha worry, bro. If I dream of Glee's Jenna Ushkowitz, I'll be sure to let you know, hahahaha!

31 comments:

  1. HAH. quirky. i'm guessing that's what we all have in common.

    i don't know if i was just stupid enough to not connect the dots. i also saw joel approach ate sally to ask if his friends could watch curtain call, but i also thought it was just for the christmas medley. during sound check they announced that there's gonna be a proposal, but i thought it was between audience members. after that, i saw joel hand his camera over to the FOH, but i remember him taking pictures during our first few meetings for the show he wrote so i thought it was one of those i-just-want-documentation moments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha, so they knew pala that there was going to be a proposal, but didn't know it was Joel's. No wonder Felix's jaw dropped to the floor that hard, hahahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. EXACTLY! he's gonna pick up his jaw on friday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Who knows, baka pina-laundry na rin yung jaw niya along with the rest of the costumes, hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a cute and nice experience hogi!!! : ) sana next time ako naman mapanaginipan mo - except the buntis part tho hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a cute and nice experience hogi!!! : ) sana next time ako naman mapanaginipan mo - except the buntis part tho hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hahaha, I actually got so giddy watching! I never even got to check if the video was OK, hahaha! =)
    Hehe, weird dreams talaga. Natatawa lang ako na may powers daw ang dreams ko, ahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  8. haha!!! sana mapanaginipan mo na may mananalo sa lotto... i'll tell you kung kelan ako makakataya, tapos tulog ka agad. wahaha!!!

    i think i can send you the link of the video. :-) i don't want to watch it anymore...super sweet e...i still get teary eyed hehehe :-)

    ay, how about a stalker dream, wala ba? *lol*

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lotto talaga eh, hahaha! Ay sorry, hindi ako nakakatulog agad, hehe. =P

    Ay, di mo man ni-check kung matino yung pag-record ko? Hahahaha! I wanna see the video! Too busy being kilig to watch, pero nakakatawa lang itsura ng ibang cast, ahehe.

    Naku, di na kailangan panaginipan ang stalker no! HAHAHAHA!

    Oist, di kita naaabutan sa YM. Text mo ko about later. =P

    ReplyDelete
  10. Saw the video na. Hahaha, I'm so relieved that it's not too shaky. Medyo nag-panic lang kasi ako sa start ng video kasi parang hindi ako makapag-zoom in and out. Clammy hands, grrrr.

    Pero oo nga, hindi masyadong marinig si Joel amidst the crowd, ahehehe. Good thing kuhang-kuha ang permanent jaw-drop ni Felix, HAHAHAHA.

    ReplyDelete
  11. WE LOVE THE VIDEO!!!!!! Video of the day namin un kanina sa bluerep room. Hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hahahahaha, video of the day talaga eh. =)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aba, baka maging video of the month niyo pa yan, hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sa haba ng post na ito, yan lang ang nag stick sa utak ko. Hahahaha! Yiheeeeeeee! XD

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bwahahahaha! Nakakatawa ka, Mae! Pramis, naloka ako nung napanaginipan ko yan kaya tinext ko si Tad agad paggising ko, hahaha! =P

    ReplyDelete
  16. ...sana you dream about winning the lotto para manalo ako. chos.

    Joel classic moment talga eh! :p

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hahaha, papayag ka ba na share kayo ni Claire?

    Naku, classic Joel talaga, hahahaha! Kaloka talaga yun. Did you see the video na?

    ReplyDelete
  18. WOW nasabi na pala ni claire.

    HAHAH *not reading*

    hello claire lets half :) haha

    ReplyDelete
  19. hahaha!! mag-ko-comment na nga sana ko sa sinabi ni peachy kanina, sasabihin ko dapat, "ako muna peachy ha, tapos ikaw naman sunod na mananalo sa lotto.." X-D

    pero depende din kung magkano ba ang jackpot price.. wahahahh!!!

    uulitin ko lang ulit yung napagusapan natin about the proposals that happened during the Bee... na puro pilgarlick men ang nag-propose (Joel and Charles)...so who's the next in line na pilgarlick guy?

    si ceejay?
    waahahah!!

    X-D

    ReplyDelete
  20. Word for the day ni Claire ang "pilgarlick," dahil yan ang isa sa mga words ni Joel kanina, hahahahahaha!

    Naku, ayaw pa ni Ceejay, corny. May mauuna pa raw sa kanya, hahahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Good luck sa pag-share ng Lotto prize. Hahaha, teka muna, wala pa nga akong panaginip, pinaghahatian niyo na, hahahaha! =)

    ReplyDelete
  22. naku, sana zillions ang mapanaginipan mo, Christine. *ehemmm* X-D

    ay, teka, gusto mo ba ng balato from us ni peachy, if ever?

    wahahaha!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Dapat lang! Ako ang nakapanaginip eh, hahahaha! =P

    ReplyDelete
  24. pero wait lang sasali muna ako sa lotto. tapos ic-cue kita kung kelan ka na pwede mag dream :) sige si claire muna ngayon. haha on cue yung sakin ha!

    (gusto pa eh, haha.)

    ReplyDelete
  25. CLAIREEE nakakainis wala kang guestbook! reply na reply pa naman ako!! :p heehee!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oist, hindi ito parang dream on demand ha! Hahahahahaha!

    ReplyDelete