Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Sitting-in at another workshop class.

As I had promised, I visited Robbie's class in Rep this evening. 

Hahaha, by the time I arrived, I suddenly forgot that people who sit in are required to participate as well. I mean, I joined the warm-ups for kicks, but when I isolated myself when they were done, Caisa was gesturing at me to join the circle of workshoppers. Hahaha, I looked at her blankly and went over to her instead. That's when she reminded me that sit-ins have to join the workshop exercises, so I finally joined the circle and participated in each of the activities.

Observation #1: Before I knock on other people, I should start with myself. I gotta learn to cut others some slack. This is a basic acting class. I guess I came to the venue feeling sort of cynical, even though I have some friends in the crowd. Plus I'm only a visitor, so I don't really have the right to act all bossy even though some don't have a clue as to what to really do.

Observation #2: I suddenly felt pretty old, considering this is an adults class. We had to do this game of charades, and some of the categories were TV shows and pop songs. Holy kamote, in the former category, when Ed had suggested the game show called 1 Million Dollar Chance of a Lifetime, almost everyone's eyebrows shot up. They didn't know what show was that. Sure, I understand that they didn't know Mork and Mindy (Robin Williams, hello!), which was what I had suggested, but I didn't realize that there are hardly any people who still grew up in the 80s in this group, hahaha. Even when our category were pop songs, once again, hardly anyone knew "Rosanna" by Toto. I mean, c'mon guys, it's TOTO! HAHAHAHA! (Yes, I'm a fan, ahehe.)

Observation #3: A lot are still pretty naive. First, when we broke into groups for a final activity on gibberish, we were told to listen to each other during the scenes we had to do because some people keep talking over other people's lines. But there are some people who still won't practice that advice when we discussed it within the groups. It's common sense, really, to listen.

Observation #4: If someone does know me and a couple of my other friends, he or she would at least be gracious enough to come up to me, say hi and introduce himself/herself, right? Hahaha. At least that way, I could finally figure out who that mystery that's been haunting Tin and me, ahehe. I mean, I don't really know all the people from the previous workshop class, but I was pretty flattered that some people, like Bianca, warmly greeted me even though I barely knew them then.

But hey, at least I had fun. I sure hope that the next time I'd sit in (even though they're more likely to be working on rehearsals for their showcase) they'd do improv, haha. Now that's my favorite.

For some reason, I suddenly remembered the latter part of Sir Dennis' Philippine Theater History lecture last Saturday. He had mentioned Rep as one of the prominent companies during the 60s, and had also mentioned each company's purpose. Very interesting info, hahaha.

Now it's back to my own regular routine.

20 comments:

  1. ang galing galing mo talaga mag english.

    hahahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahaha, kailangan eh, para di dumugo ang ilong ko in situations like these. HAHAHAHA!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha, ano buh!
    In fairness, masaya ang deluxe cheeseburgers, hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha! Naki-cheesburger na rin. Opa! Miss na kita! =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. awww... i miss you too! manonood kami ni ria ng mga recitals for sure. cheeseburger ko ha? hehehe.. kahit yum with cheese pwde na. hahaha!:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. hahaha, this class is waaaay different from rob's other classes. super newbies!!! =/ oh well papel.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi hoagie! maybe one day you can sit in one of DREAMPLAYS workshops too. only they're for kids. Now that's when you'll really feel old, either that, feel young again. Come and help should you wish. Our baby company needs people like you too. Check out our site: www.dreamplays.multiply.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pano ba naman, kapatid... May Ph.D. ka na pag dating sa theater workshop. Kumbaga sa graduation, isa ka sa mga taong mukhang alien sa dami ng mga anik-anik na naka-sabit at naka-kabit sa toga nila. Ibang level na to.

    Gus to ko rin ng cheeseburger.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hahaha, tantanan ang cheeseburger! Tagal mo nang alam ang pa-English efeect ko no! =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haha, I know. Oh well towel. Sabihin mo kay Robbie na let's do improv when I visit next week (haha, tama bang ako ang mag-control ng curriculum)! =))

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Cherie! Sure, will do. I have lots of free time after Labor day. I'll let you know then when I can visit. I'd love to help out. =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ph. D.? Haha, I doubt it. Gaga ka, ikaw ang magpa-cheeseburger diyan, hehehe. =P

    ReplyDelete
  13. nakakadugo ang ingles mo.. :) hahah! :) good luck hogi! :) chesseburger? :) haha! :)

    ..at naman, di naman makaluma ang toto.. :) hahah! :)
    ingats! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wahahaha, nakaka-nosebleed ba? Kailangang mahasa ang Ingles pag ganyan ang pupuntahan eh, hahaha!

    Diba? Toto, hello? Hahaha! Pinapatugtog pa rin naman ang mga songs nila ngayon eh! Oh well, I guess nagsimula ang mundo ng music for most nung nagsilabasan na ang Backstreet Boys at Spice Girls, hahahaha. =)

    ReplyDelete
  15. hehehe!!

    thanks for dropping by...sabi sa yo e ;) newbies (at nagsalita ang 'veteran'? -- ano ako, bangko??!!! wehehe!)

    at least you had fun :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hahaha, and to think you already warned me the week before. Pero fun pa rin. Hope to be back next Monday! =)

    ReplyDelete
  17. pssst huy, miss ganda! at least you know who your mystery friend is na.:D

    ReplyDelete