Thursday, May 7, 2009

Blogging on a rainy evening (unrelated title).

Last night at the Avellana Art Gallery, Nuki had asked us about our take on performance art, and how different it is from the conventional types of theater arts that most people are familiar with. What's weird was that we were asked if we were offended by those people who pursue performance art, considering we are also involved in theater arts. Hmmm... I never really saw it as offensive, because it's still "performing arts," isn't it? It's still an artist's way of expression. What about you guys, what do you think? Or for the benefit those who are curious, what's the difference of performance art from the other theater forms?

We were super glad Miss Tess came to watch our performance of Nemesis last night, and I super appreciate all her comments, as well as her sincere effort to come and watch us, even though we missed a whole chunk of lines, ahahaha. We all had a blast anyway. Thanks to Sir Albert Avellana and Joey Cobcobo (who celebrated his birthday yesterday) as well.

I forgot to mention in my last blog entry that I had visited Roeder and Onyl's Acting in Musical Theater workshop class once last week, and half of it was choreography of their recital's [opening?] number. It was so amusing to watch, as Roeder taught them these Fosse-like movements, and showed them his trademark steps in recitals, mentioning that it was a tribute to me, hahaha! That was because I had to do that particular dance when I was in his class a couple of years ago. Anyway, when they took a break, I got invited to join the pizza party because one of the workshoppers (Paul?) was celebrating his birthday that day. That was when Roeder introduced me as his former student, specifically from the Blue Jeans recital video clips they had found on YouTube. Anyway, after the break, they started talking about the story of their recital that the workshoppers had conceptualized. It was so so funny. Too bad I won't be able to watch it tomorrow. When they started music rehearsals with Onyl, I silently bid Roeder goodbye and made my French exit.

Oh, how I miss workshops when I sit in at classes like this.

I remember on the first (or was it the 2nd day?) of Beginning Acting, when Miss Tess had quoted Rolando Tinio, that to be a good actor, it takes 20 years to learn, and 20 years to unlearn (which I had started to work on that very year). When I read a book on Stanislavsky, it said almost the same thing. An actor needs 20 years to master his profession. At least 20 years. Hahaha, when I shared this with Lara during on YM chat, she said that she had already spent almost 20 years, and I couldn't help but laugh out loud at that simple but innocent remark (sorry, Lars). It not always based on how long you take training and honing your craft, but it's also on how you actually grow and improve as an actor. Oo nga naman pala diba? Just because ang tagal mo sa isang industriya tulad ng teatro doesn't necessarily mean bonggang bongga at bakulaw ka na sa galing. Dapat pa rin kasi na i-prove mo sa tao at most improtantly, sa sarili mo, ang capabilities mo as an artist in your chosen craft.

Speaking of craft, I stumbled onto one of Reggie's photo albums on Facebook labeled "Art Attack!" She mentioned this store in Robinson's Galleria called Saizen, which is a "wasteland" (as some people would call it) of P85 stuff. She posted photos of her purchases, which included "medium density fiberwood" which I'm hoping is similar to balsa wood so I can try something new for my craft cravings. She also got shrink plastic! Wheeee! I've always wanted to have Shrinky Dinks, and this is perfect! I'm going to check out that store tomorrow, hehehe.

4 comments:

  1. Hey, if you're going to Galle and want some company (ahem :P) let me know. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha, with my sched today, I'll just be in and out of Galle because I have to fly pa to RCBC.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sayang, I was in San Pedro when you went to Galle. Glad to hear you had a great show and people you loved watch. So proud of you! :D

    Sorry I couldn't watch. If I had a clone, I would.

    Thanks for helping us out with Make Believe. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Lars!

    Hahaha, hardly anyone I knew watched. I was super glad (yet afraid of pressure, hahaha) that Miss Tess watched.

    Can't wait for Make Believe. =)

    ReplyDelete