Sunday, May 24, 2009

Curtains: Make Believe '09.

Lara had asked me at least once if I wanted to help out and join Make Believe, and I'm seriously considering it for next year. Of course, before then, I have to figure out the route to the venue within subdivisions, because going all the way around Paranaque just to get to the village is too time-consuming. Parang pumupunta ako ng QC when I timed how long it took me to get there. I really hate taking the service road, hahaha.

So I braved the service road for one last time yesterday for the Make Believe showcases. Started the morning slow and easy while I had breakfast with some of the Make Believers and waited for the kids to arrive. Got to meet Christina (assigned to help backstage), one of Lesley's friends from AC who she said is also an awesome actress. Hahaha, as I joined a little chat for a while, it amuses me how the world just keeps getting smaller.

When all the kids had all arrived, it was time to run through the plays. Tech run, so we had the kids rehearse with the lapel mics. Hahaha, even though I managed to memorize my lines, I still get mental block because of the effort of memorizing the names and matching it to the kids, plus matching it to their respective instruments. Thank goodness there was Nini hidden behind the platform, ahahaha. Still buckled a lot though, ahehe. The biggest challenge was keeping the kids quiet and in their seats. Especially Naomi, who keeps complaining why she has to appear last. Haha, I had to learn to be creative with her since the day before in terms of keeping her backstage before her own scene. Plus I adapted Sophie's yaya's "seatbelt," having Naomi sit on my lap to keep her from loitering about.

Rehearsals for the pre-teens began immediately after a short 5-minute break. Because of how Andro had performed the day before, Lara had decided to keep him as an additional actor for the improv scenes. Didn't rehearse most of the improv, mostly just the scenes and songs plus that one monologue. It didn't feel like a complete show, really. When we began with the first improv, Pat would always decline what Mads offers. Made a mental note to remind them of the rules of improv, but I ended up forgetting to tell them, eep.

Saw that Patton had arrived sometime during the pre-teens rehearsal. Hahaha, he actually made it. Because Lara was kinda busy scurrying around, attending to a lot of things, I ended up having lunch with Patton, but managed to get Lara to sit with us for a while... until we realized that we had to change clothes pronto. We both left Patton and dashed to the ladies room to change, then I dashed backstage for make-up courtesy of Nina. Hahaha, Nina gave me an additional accessory to my all-white ensemble, which was a long sheer piece of shimmery white fabric that I had to use as a shawl or hood or whatever. Dumped my stuff on the table at stage left, then struggled with the fabric until I gave up and let Nina fix it herself, hahaha.

Showtime. The streetdance showcase was up first, and the kids were getting impatient. Javi ducked under the prop table at our side of the stage to keep Naomi from straying away, hahaha. Julia was happily content sitting in her chair while Sophie was locked in "seatbelt mode" by her yaya.

The Power of Four (the kids' showcase) was next, and Javi and Mike sprung into action in the opening scene. Checked the order of the names for the last time before I stepped onstage, ahahaha. But I loved sharing the stage with these kids. I let Sophie and Jenny romp around (with Nini keeping a watchful eye) while I did the scene with the four other kids.

The kids were super adorable as they each did their solo scenes and dances. I heard loud applause from their respective families) after each dance. Braced myself for the finale where I had to dance "All For One" from High School Musical 2 with the kids plus Mike and Javi, hahaha. Hay, Lara, the crazy things I do for you, HAHAHAHA!

A short fashion show was after the kids' showcase, so I flew to stage right to change into my all-black outfit for the pre-teens showcase. I had to duck into the small dressing room there and try to rub off some of the shimmery make-up that I had, ahehe. Flew back to stage left when the lights were still off to finally settle back at my own post.

Spotlight (the title of the pre-teens' showcase) was so-so. Pat and Mads had more energy during the DTR. Pat still kept declining offers during the improv, as if she was ever so reluctant doing the improv exercises. Oh well. But the apprentices were hilarious. When I asked suggestions for situations and places from the audience, I managed to find Lara easily. Hahaha, she got Noelle and Patton to participate. The moment I spotted Lara standing next to Noelle, I was surprised to find her there. Brief starstruck moment, but stayed in character, HAHAHA. Nina helped provide the props for the final improv, as she got items from the audience as well. I couldn't resist a little playtime by actually posting a list of characters next to the actors' names when my character had to give out the roles of the characters.

After the showcase, I was asked the same question by 2 different workshoppers. Mads immediately came up to me while we were still onstage, asking if I was returning to Make Believe next year. "I might," was my reply, and she gave a little whoop. Haha, when Julia found me in the ladies room while washing off my make-up, she also asked the same thing, and I was amused that she beamed when I said the same answer.

So yep, I do think I want to return to Make Believe next year. I made great friends who were equally quirky as I am, and I fell in love with the kids.

Patton and I shared a cab so we can fly from Merville to CCP for the Labfest auditions. Wahahaha, both of us had our geek modes on as we mostly talked (or raved, hahaha) about Star Trek, G.I. Joe, and Transformers during the ride to CCP. Yes, we were comparing original TV serials with existing and upcoming film versions, ahehehe.

Got off at the South Entrance so we can directly go to the Conference Room. Ahahaha, I had to endure some weird stares probably because I had arrived with Orlando Bloom clone while Tad was off in Tagaytay. Ano buh. Oh well. Then there's quite a surprising moment, hahaha. After registration, Patton and I went around CCP in search of a friend of his in the BP department. Ended up finding his friend upstairs at the BP's executive office, so we had to wait because he had to get some papers (schedules and contracts) for his other friend. Then we went back down to the hall leading to the Conference Room (which was the waiting area of the Labfest audition).

Chatted up a storm that evolved from work opportunities to the best zombie movies (yes, we still end up shifting to geek mode, harharhar). When Trency arrived, I introduced her to Patton, and for a while, all three of us started improvising this stupid idea that began with an empty Starbucks cup and a half-finished bottle of orange juice that was on the empty chair in front of us. "Food Finishers... we finish your food for a fee!" HAHAHAHA! Oh, the crazy ideas we came up with.

After our audition, we realized we were already starving, so Patton and I went to Harbour Square in search of food. We were supposed to go to Teriyaki Boy because we found out that we were both addicted to the spicy tuna sashimi, but because of the darn blackout, we had to settle for Jollibee. More crazy talk abound, from the Coke shirts people wear ("The guy who wrote those statements must either be high or really brilliant), to politically incorrect terms ("No parking on both sides... how can you do that at the same time?"), to other pa-deep topics ala High Fidelity (I ended up saying "Heeeey! That's sooo true!" loudly even though I knew I was risking embarassment, ahehe). By the way, this was the first time I've seen a guy eat a double patty burger with a fork, HAHAHAHA! It's been ages since I last (and first) saw Patton, and it was great to hang out with him again. Dontcha worry, Lars, he was in good hands, hahaha. We took care of each other, hahaha. "What time is it???"

Patton had to leave to go to a party back in the south, so I headed back to the Conference Room, as Betty and Opa had arrived. A heck of a lot of chika ensued while I was with them until I had to go (kamusta naman ang mga side comments ni Betty while we were loitering in the halls, hahaha), way before they had to audition. Man, I miss my Ingenue girls.

Ended up back in CCP this afternoon despite the annoying blackout. Met up with Ed, Opa and Alpha prior to the orientation with the Labfest SM's, then I also joined the orientation as well. All were brand new SM's to the Labfest, but it was pretty cool to see Matt and Tin among them. Hahaha, Opa and Ola reunited for the Best of Labfest 4. I have to say, throughout the meeting, I was so glad there were more developments for Labfest this year. OK, so maybe I regret declining Tuxqs' offer to be his SM for Doc Resurrection, plus that dig Ed made about listing me as Chris Millado's SM because he requested for someone that he can really rely on. Oh well. Never mind, hahaha. There's still more to look forward to anyway. I can't wait to see all the plays, hahaha.

Wow, this was one long entry. I miss making these uber-long posts, hahaha. And to you who finished reading this from top to bottom, I congratulate you for your paitence, hahaha!

No comments:

Post a Comment