Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Bea Garcia as Ilse in Spring Awakening.

I first got to watch Bea Garcia onstage when she played one of the ducklings in Trumpets' production of Honk! around 6 years ago. I got introduced to her a few months afterward when she was a guest artist/singer for an Akafellas concert where I was a stage manager. Even back then, her singing prowess and performing talent matched her unbridled enthusiasm and passion for the theatre, and even until now, nothing has fazed her no matter what role she encounters.

Q: So how does it feel to be performing in this Tony Award-winning musical?
A: I feel very lucky and grateful! I think this was God's gift to me this year because Spring is one of my dream shows!

Q: When you auditioned, was Ilse the role you really wanted? Or was there another role in particular that appealed to you?
A: I also wanted to try out for Wendla in the beginning... but when Chari called me back for Ilse, I was sooo happy. Because I love Ilse's song with Moritz and Ilse was the other role I wanted. I completely forgot about my desire to play Wendla after studying Ilse. I fell in love with the role. :)

Q: Was there anything special that you did in the auditions that the panel liked in particular?
A: Oh, you should ask Chari. Hehe. I have no idea. Well, maybe the thing I did different from the other auditionees is I memorized all the lines in the script they asked us to learn. Not to impress them really, but to be able to get into character more.

Q: What was your first thought when you found out the role [of Ilse] was yours?
A: "OH MY GOD, OH MY GOD. WAAAH THANK YOU LORD!" First thing I did was pray then call my mom.

Q: Considering the fact that each character in this musical has certain complexities and trauma, what did you do to prepare for the role?
A: Haha. A lot. Well, to name some, firstly to try to veer away from my prior judgments about what my character goes through, to learn not to judge her and really feel what she's feeling. I also had to have a younger mindset. Research din about abuse and about the bohemian life. :)

Q: Are you anything at all like Ilse?
A: Yes, in a way because I am free-spirited and pleasant. But Ilse went through so much more than I did as a child. I am happy to have not gone through the things she did.

Q: What's the most challenging thing you had to do in rehearsals so far? And what was the most memorable thing?
A: Everything is a challenge, really. And for sure everything will be remembered. But I especially enjoyed choreography. Primarily because I am not the best dancer in the world so I struggled to make things right in the choreo. I will remember all of Chari's notes and the serious acting that has to be done for this show. See, I have been doing happy shows for children before this so this is definitely something different. :)

Q: Try to describe each of your co-actors in one word.
A: JOAQUI - KAIBIGAN
KELLY - WENDLANG-WENDLA
NICCO - MAGALING
SITTI - LOW-MAINTENANCE-STAR
MIGUEL - STUMESTEP-UP
YANAH - LOVE ♥
AVA - GANDA-NG-BOSES-OMG!
NAR - JOY&LAUGHTER
JC - COUNTRY'S-NEXT-LEADING-MAN
INNO - BABY BOY
JETT - JETT PANGAAAAN!
CHESKA - MOMMY :)

Q: I know almost the entire cast had said that they can't seem to find just ONE favorite song in the musical, but if you were to choose, what's your favorite? And why?
Pwede top 3? Hahaha. Don't Do Sadness/Blue Wind, My Junk and Left Behind. Left Behind yung pinaka-favorite ko because of the melody and what the song is talking about. It's such a sad and beautiful song. :)

Q: What's the best advice you received? Both in life and in acting/theatre?
A: Life is uncertain so you must make the most out of it and do your best every single time. Walang mark-mark, 110% lagi.

Q: What's the best advice you could give to anyone?
A: Same advice I got, I guess. It's what will make you happy with yourself and your work. :)


Spring Awakening will run from September 25 to October 18, 2009 at the Carlos P. Romulo Auditorium, RCBC Plaza, Makati. For tickets and other inquiries, please call Atlantis Productions at 8927078 or 8401187, or you can check out their website at www.atlantisproductionsinc.com.

2 comments: