Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Nicco Manalo on Spring Awakening.

Nicco Manalo, who will be playing the role of Moritz Stiefel in Atlantis Productions' Spring Awakening, seems to look like a boyish shy guy when you first see him, but will shed off his shyness and unleash his makulit and friendly side once you get to talk to him. I've known Nicco since his college days (when he really was very shy) and he has grown to be one of my pretty close friends. He does say that he's really shy when it comes to interviews, but I managed to get him to answer a few questions.

Hogi: So how does it feel to be performing quite a demanding character in this Tony Award-winning musical?
Nicco: Scary and exciting.. but mostly scary. I'm always scared.
Hogi: When you auditioned, was Moritz the role you really wanted?
Nicco: Yes. When I auditioned, the form we had to fill out had a question... "What role do you think suits you?" I wrote "MORITZ!"
Hogi: Was there another role in particular that appealed to you?
Nicco: I can't remember. Since the first time I saw a video of this musical, my eyes went straight to Moritz's hair.
Hogi: What was your first thought when you found out the role was yours?
Nicco: First thought was "Oh my god!!! Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaah"
Hogi: Considering the fact that your character has all that angst, trouble, (trauma) and "blah blahs" in his head, what did you do to prepare for the role?
Nicco: I studied the role. Went back to my old younger self. Interviewed a friend. I was once a Moritz... Still am, in a way.
Hogi: Why do you say you were once a Moritz?
Nicco: I'm shy. I was afraid of girls. Still am. I'm paranoid. I get affected easily. I love my friends.
Hogi: What's the most challenging thing you had to do in rehearsals so far?
Nicco: Keeping my energy up and singing high notes while jumping up and down.
Hogi: How about the most memorable thing?
Nicco: Blocking "The Dark I Know Well." Chari goes, "Boys, face up." Everyone facing downstage (facing the audience) turned to face upstage (facing the back of the stage). I looked up at the ceiling.
Hogi: Ahahahahaha!
Nicco: What? She said "face up." I have a point.
Hogi: Hahaha! Okayyy. Try to describe each of your co-actors in one word.
Nicco: Joaqui - leader
Kelly - lutang
Bea - happy
Nar - lungpower
JC - stressed
Miguel - "mahiligtumambaysabandarea"
Inno - bunsoy
Yanah - unicorn
Ava - mature
Sitti - surprisinglysimple
Jett - rockguru
Cheska - mommeeeee
Hogi: I know almost the entire cast had said that they can't seem to find just ONE favorite song in the musical, but if you were to choose, what's your favorite?
Nicco: Left Behind
Hogi: What's the best advice you received? Both in life and in acting/theatre?
Nicco: Life--Life goes on.
Nicco: Theatre--Manood ng mga nagsusuntukan sa kalye at kumain ng fishball.
Nicco: For both: Wag magmadali.
Hogi: Haha, seryoso yun?
Nicco: Ang alin?
Hogi: Yung sa theatre?
Nicco: Yes, very serious.
Hogi: What's the reason behind that?
Nicco: I asked a teacher kung paano gagaling, sabi niya parang tinantanong ko kung ano ang definition ng life. Siguro ibig niyang sabihin ay namnamin ko ang buhay.
Hogi: What's the best advice you could give?
Nicco: Pikit ka tapos dilat tapos tingnan mo kung ano nagbago. Be aware.


Spring Awakening will run from September 25 to October 18, 2009 at the Carlos P. Romulo Auditorium, RCBC Plaza, Makati. For tickets and other inquiries, please call Atlantis Productions at 8927078 or 8401187, or you can check out their website at www.atlantisproductionsinc.com.

12 comments:

  1. "Hogi: What's the best advice you could give?
    Nicco: Pikit ka tapos dilat tapos tingnan mo kung ano nagbago. Be aware."

    Naks! Mabuhay ang Niccow Manalow.. continue to inspire people's lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yan ang napapala pag nag-share ng dreams sa isa't isa eh, HAHAHA. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. May sense naman mga sinabi ni Nicco eh, hehehe. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. naks hogi! pwede ka nang pang-Playtime :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahahaha, trip-tripan lang nga yang interview na yan eh. =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hogi, m excited na with the play. See you there!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I should not be laughing this hard. XD

    ReplyDelete