Sunday, September 13, 2009

Seeing the big picture at N.O.A.H.

I got to watch Trumpets' N.O.A.H. (No Ordinary Aquatic Habitat) at the Meralco Theater yesterday afternoon. It's been ages since I last saw a Trumpets production.

I had seen its original puppet version (Mr. Noah's Big Boat) 5 years ago at the Music Museum, so I really wanted to watch this new pumped-up, "human" version. And for this staging, there were also seats onstage (the ark, or the gallery) that you can also purchase. You can watch the entire show from there as well as watch the "theatrical magic" (behind-the-scenes action) unfold.

Of course, just to have a different (or not-so-different in some cases for me) experience of the show, I wanted to watch from the gallery. Super thanks to Joel, a good friend and one of the sweetest guys I know, I got that opportunity. At first, I was to watch it alone, then Joe messaged me yesterday morning that I could invite friends along. I sent out text messages to some people but unfortunately all of them had to pass. Haha, I even called a bunch of them to ask. One was out of town, one was having his hair done, another was working, and one was still asleep. Finally, Dingdong was the lucky duck who was free that very afternoon, so I got him to go with me instead of going to the gym (hahaha).

Arrived early in Ortigas, so I grabbed a bite at McDonald's across the theater before heading over there. Crossed the street then hung around in the lobby, eventually finding Sir Ed sitting at the showbuyers' table. Waves of nostalgia hit me while I was just standing in the lobby. Those Meralco days were the good old days. OJT in The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe (2002). First real job with Atlantis in Beauty and The Beast. I remember waiting for someone in the Narnia cast to ask me to buy mango float for them so I have an excuse to go to the lobby and also buy one for myself. Sleeping on the couches during the first act of Beauty and The Beast, then waking up just in time for intermission to sell programs and other merchandise. Bugging the ushers while we all hang out in the lobby together during the show.

Haha, sure enough, when I went to the couches, the ushers for this production were there, waiting for their section assignments. A couple of people called my name, and when I adjusted my vision (man, I need new contacts), that's when I saw June Vee and Charo sitting among the ushers. Sat around with them while they did their briefing and I waited for the house to open. Haha, Joaqui saw me earlier even before I entered the lobby, and that was when he approached me and asked when I'll be watching Spring Awakening. Hehe, told him I'd be visiting them this week.

Mikki arrived late even though he was one of the ushers, so I listened in as Joel briefed him on ushering the people in the gallery, as the 2 of them were assigned to that section.

To those of you who really do plan to sit and watch the show from the gallery, I'd advise you to go to the bathroom before the show, as you won't be allowed to leave even during the intermission. No cameras or videos allowed, of course, and you really have to switch off your cellphones instead of just putting them on silent mode.

When Dingdong arrived, we still waited around in the lobby for the rest of the people who were to sit in the gallery. Once everyone was there (and had gone to the restrooms), Joel and Mikki briefed everyone and we were then herded inside the theater.

The show was pretty cool, even though we were seeing things from the back. Even though the orientation really was for a proscenium stage, there were efforts to face our side as well. Ditto for the lights and the set. Carlo Orosa and Sheila Francisco made an awesome tandem as Mr. and Mrs. Noah, and those Sison brothers as Japheth, Shem and Ham were so adorable. The youngest reminded me so much of Russell from Up, hahaha. The ensemble were equally entertaining. Sam as the Narrator/God even showed his dancing prowess in one of the scenes in the 2nd act. Ahehehe, of course, once Carlos had seen us in the gallery, may "papansin epek" na siya every time he passes us by, hahaha!

I remember back in Mr. Noah's Big Boat, the audience applauded when the ark was finished. I wanted to applaud during this new production because it still amused me even though I was seeing a couple of stage hands hiding behind the ark's frame. It goes to show how much effort was put to make this production work. Believe me, I've been there. I was once the novice who was wearing the headset and lurking at stage right. I was once one of the people (and sometimes the only girl) who skittered back and forth and suffered rope burn on her hands from pulling all the rope to make several set changes.

Congratulations to the entire cast and crew of N.O.A.H.! Thanks for the seats, Joel! Hope I get to watch it again, this time from the front! Sam, hope you remember what show you were in, hahaha!

Dingdong and I dawdled around the lobby after the show, just standing around, checking out the merchandise, the people, and the food. He was pretty curious about the personalized chocolate and purchased 3 bars, then we both bought 1 mango float each. Of course, I couldn't leave a show without buying a souvenir program, so I did. Hahaha, when I paid for my program, Tita Luna said, "Thanks for supporting Trumpets," before introducing me to one of the FOH people as a Playshopper from several years ago, and I even added that I haven't seen a Trumpets show in years.

I actually miss being in Trumpets. There's still some part of me connected to that world, even if it was just for Playshop a few times, and that one production. Well, at least it's pretty nice to know that I could still visit and still feel welcome with the people I know, hahaha.


Random thought from a fews days before that I forgot to add in my previous blog entry. May mga crush pala na bumabalik kapag lumilitaw ulit sila sa buhay mo. Nagiging crush mo lang kapag nakikita mo, tapos nawawala kapag nawawala rin siya. Hahaha, yun lang.

6 comments:

  1. Naku, wala pa yan. Habang nasa lobby pa kami, may sinabi pa siyang, "I feel as if I should be working," dahil nakatayo lang kami dun, habang yung ibang ushers ay nagtatrabaho na, hahaha. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, maaga si Mikki, sumabay sakin yan eh. haha. BUT, ayun, he ended up being late kasi nasa backstage the whole time. hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wahahaha, kaya pala eh. We have you partly to blame! Kidding! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. well, not me coz i was getting ready. he was asleep! hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ayun naman pala, hahaha. Mikki talaga. =)

    ReplyDelete