Friday, September 18, 2009

Q & A with Spring Awakening's Joaquin Valdes.

Before Spring Awakening was announced in Manila, I only knew of Joaquin Valdes from the very first staging of Trumpets' The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe, where he originally played the role of Edmund (and back then, he was known as Wackie). I only got to meet him early this year at the CCP Pasinaya when Atlantis did a short preview of Spring Awakening as well as The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee. Anyway, I managed to get to ask Joaqui the same questions I had asked Nicco in my previous blog entry.

Q: So how does it feel to be performing quite a demanding character in this Tony Award-winning musical?
A: It feels daunting! I have huge shoes to fill, not only because a lot of people are familiar with the Broadway Melchiors, but more so because the role and the material is really amazing. I'm pressured to give justice to the amazing piece more than anything else.

Q: When you auditioned, was Melchior the role you really wanted? Or was there another role in particular that appealed to you?
A: When I auditioned, I wanted Melchior. I put it in the audition sheet. The character is really close to my heart.

Q:What was your first thought when you found out the role [of Melchior] was yours?
A: I was pretty shocked; they texted me one day and I think I had read that message at least 10 times to make sure that I wasn't imagining things. Overall I was thrilled.

Q: Considering the fact that each character in this musical has certain complexities and trauma, (plus nudity) what did you do to prepare for the role?
A: Chari was very clear from even before the auditions that she was looking for brave, and generous actors. They had to be risky and willing to jump... not just talented. So my preparation for the role was pretty much trying to immerse myself in the material, music and mayhem of it all. I did some light research to learn more about the turn of the century... but over all I just jumped in. Chari always told me that I overthought things...I needed to work on being more vulnerable.

Q: Are you anything at all like Melchior?
A: I'm frighteningly and dangerously VERY MUCH like him. There are actually lines Melchior says that I had already thought to myself even before I read the play.

Q: What's the most challenging thing you had to do in rehearsals so far? And what was the most memorable thing?
A: The most challenging part of rehearsals is also my most memorable one... when Kelly and I had to do our intimate scenes. There's a beating scene and a love scene... both of which are insanely difficult even for the most seasoned actors... so Kelly and I had a very challenging time... (we still do).

Q: Try to describe each of your co-actors in one word.
A: Jett - Buddy
Cheska - Foodie
Kelly - Hot
Bea - Perky
Yanna - Yunnuh
Ava - Mature
Sitti - Sweet
Inno - Bunsoy
Miguel - Hungry
JC - Artist
Nar - Musiko
Nicco - Intense

Q: I know almost the entire cast had said that they can't seem to find just ONE favorite song in the musical, but if you were to choose, what's your favorite? And why?
A: All That's Known---it's a life-song for me... you watch me... one day all will know...

Q: What's the best advice you received? Both in life and in acting/theatre?
A: I wrote this in my article about Spring Awakening (you can read the article here)... the best advice a received from a director was to "do roles that I'm afraid of"... Melchior is role that I'm terrified of... because it's so beautifully written and realized... but more so because it's so close to who I am.

Q: What's the best advice you could give to anyone?
A: Go change the world.


Spring Awakening will run from September 25 to October 18, 2009 at the Carlos P. Romulo Auditorium, RCBC Plaza, Makati. For tickets and other inquiries, please call Atlantis Productions at 8927078 or 8401187, or you can check out their website at www.atlantisproductionsinc.com.

*photos courtesy of Dingdong Novenario.

No comments:

Post a Comment