Sunday, September 13, 2009

I must really learn to stop all this mediocrity.

My computer conked out a couple of days ago so I felt so crippled without it. Apparently it needed a new power supply so I had it replaced. Thank goodness it was just that. If this baby crashes, I really would have to buy a new one, which is both good and bad. Good because this computer is at least over 5 years old and some pieces are already kind of hard to replace, and bad because I don't really have the funds to buy a new desktop or laptop.

Anyway.

Here's a thought. I have weird mediocrity issues. I'm afraid of doing mediocre work, but because I keep thinking about that, I still end up with exactly that. So I had no idea what to expect when I had decided on a whim to try auditioning again.

Opa had invited Betty and me to audition for DUP's Mary Stuart. I was iffy for a while, but Betty's enthusiasm was pretty contagious, so I eventually geared myself up for it. Until I got hold of a copy of the script (both English and Filipino translation) a couple of days prior to the audition. Most of the characters were male. Oh well. I just want to audition just for the experience anyway.

I was already intimidated at the fact that they play's director is Tony Mabesa, but I tried to shrug it off. Once Betty, Opa and I had arrived at the Faculty Center on Friday evening, we were almost immediately called in. All the auditionees were there, including Rayna and Francis. We were told to read a monologue of any role of our choice, and it was up to us to read the English or Filipino text. I tried to read through this one monologue in Filipno, but in the middle of it, I was suddenly called to the front. Ack, not even enough time to be nervous, but I sort of panicked, immediately decided to read the English text instead, hahaha. (Betty and Opa both read the Filipino text.)

When Sir Tony was still scrutinizing my resume, he asked me about my surname's origin. Of course, based on our genealogy, I said that it was Filipino, and briefly rambled that it was originally the name of some medicinal plant. "So herbal ka," he quipped. Wahahahaha. After a bit more small talk, I read the text from the script I was holding. That was that.

The audition setup seemed pretty informal. It felt as if Sir Tony was teaching a class or a workshop. We were all sitting or standing there watching the others read through again, and we listened to Sir Tony's comments as he pointed them out to us.

After the auditions, Betty, Opa and I had dinner at Chowking in Philcoa. Haha, funny topics abound. Certain exes, loves and crushes, ehehe. I just love these girls. I sure do hope we get to be in a prod together again sometime.

12 comments:

  1. "My computer conked out a couple of days ago so I felt so crippled without it. Apparently it needed a new power supply so I had it replaced." ---GET A MAC NA KASI!!! HEEHEE

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uulitin ko, I don't have the funds, HAHAHAHA. =P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hogi make sure you have the internals of your PC cleaned. 5 years worth of dust can cause computer damage.

    Compressed air and elbow grease will help your PC run for more decades to come

    ReplyDelete
  4. Will do. Haha, was already armed with a brush kanina, dusting the internals. Thank goodness my cousin was here to help me figure things out when we opened the CPU.

    Iba iba ang tinging ng iba when it comes to an old computer. Others say just keep it in tip-top shape, while others tell me to buy a completely new desktop.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It costs more to run it than to sell and buy a new one. :) I'm guessing your system consumes half a kilowatt of power. While a computer you buy today that performs equally as well as your computer would only consume 10% of that. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I guess that means I still need to save up, hahaha. =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hahaha, interesting. I was comparing computers to phones pa man din earlier. =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. #1 weird thing I notice among Pinoys. Buy expensive gadget then eat skyflakes for a few years. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oo nga. Hay naku, anything for the coolest gadgets talaga, pfft. =P

    ReplyDelete
  10. I miss the days with no phones. People knew how to keep their word and show up. Now it's just a text away to cancel.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I miss those days too. Lakas na ng loob ng people to be late or cancel just because communication is pretty convenient na.

    ReplyDelete