Friday, September 25, 2009

Nar Cabico as Ernst in Spring Awakening.

Most people may know Nar Cabico as one of the guys who played Didi in Zsa Zsa Zaturnnah Ze Musikal, or probably even as one of the 3 guys in the comical singing group, the Balangaw Ensemble (with Nicco Manalo). I first got to see Nar perform in Pragres (where he essayed over 10 distinctively different characters) when he was just a fresh graduate from the Philippine High School for the Arts. An actor, musician, singer, this jack-of-all-trades can do anything that he sets his mind to.

Q: So how does it feel to be performing in this Tony Award-winning musical?
A: Thrilled and pressured and super lucky! Hahahaha!

Q: When you auditioned, was Ernst the role you really wanted? Or was there another role in particular that appealed to you?
A: When I auditioned, the callback I got was for Hanschen / Georg, so medyo nawalan ako ng gana dahil gusto ko mag Ernst. Tapos when Chari asked me to come to the Atlantis Office for a reading, they told me to read Hanschen. When I got there, they told me to read Ernst and I did not prepare for it!!! But I was so excited because it's the role that I really wanted to do. SOBRANG SWERTE KO.

Q: Was there anything special that you did in the auditions that the panel liked in particular?
A: I sang "What Hurts The Most" with my guitar during the first verse, and then pagdating nung chorus, ginamit ko yung piano ni Jojo (our musical director) and sang with the piano. Then at the end of the song Chari said "Okay, stop it right there, Stevie Wonder!" Hahahaha! It was fun.

Q: What was your first thought when you found out the role [of Ernst] was yours?
A: Who's my Hanschen? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Q: Considering the fact that each character in this musical has certain complexities and trauma, what did you do to prepare for the role?
A: Watched movies like The Reader, Anne Frank, etc. I also read the original text and I searched articles in the net about Spring Awakening. AND SYEMPRE, I tried to change my body clock because rehearsals start at 11am, eh sanay ako sa 6-10pm na rehearsal. Super discipline!

Q: Are you anything at all like Ernst?
A: Ahahahahahahhaha Oh Hogi, alam mo na yan... Hahahaha!

Q: What's the most challenging thing you had to do in rehearsals so far? And what was the most memorable thing?
A: Nagkasakit ako BUT I don't want to excuse myself from the rehearsals. Kinochoreo ang "Totally Fucked," meron akong tatlong jacket na suot! Hahahahaha!

Q: Try to describe each of your co-actors in one word.
A: Wackie: KUYA
Nicco: MORITZ
Kelly: EMO
Bea: BIBO!!!
JC: Goodkisser (hahaha one word talaga)
Ava: KABANDA
Inno: BUNSO!
Miguel: HIGANTE
Yanah: AMUUSING hahahaha
Sitti: STARSTRUCK
Jett: ROCKSTAR!
Cheska: BAGETS!

Q: I know almost the entire cast had said that they can't seem to find just ONE favorite song in the musical, but if you were to choose, what's your favorite? And why?
A: Touch Me. Nakaka-- alam mo na. Hahahaha

Q: What's the best advice you received? Both in life and in acting/theatre?
LIVE LIFE.

Q: What's the best advice you could give to anyone?
LIVE LIFE.


Spring Awakening will open tonight, September 25 and will run until October 18, 2009 at the Carlos P. Romulo Auditorium, RCBC Plaza, Makati. For tickets and other inquiries, please call Atlantis Productions at 8927078 or 8401187, or you can check out their website at www.atlantisproductionsinc.com.

2 comments: