Sunday, March 30, 2014

Attending Rep's NOISES OFF press preview.

I still cannot believe that it's been 3 months since I last wrote here. And how appropriate that I'm back to writing, and writing about theater, no less. And as an added bonus, it's about one of my favorite plays that I've read!

Ever since I watched Noises Off (the film version, not the theatrical version), I was craving to read it, and to watch it staged live. It truly is one very VERY relatable play if you're in the world of theater. I remember literally slapping my knee and rolling on the floor with laughter when it came to a crucial part in the film where, literally, there were no noises offstage, or backstage, for that matter, which is where the title of the play came from.

I was coming from an evening dance fitness class before the preview show, and I had so little time to freshen up, change clothes and look decent before I had to rush to Onstage theater in Greenbelt.

I was so excited to see the set upon entering the theater, but the curtains were drawn over most of the stage. I was excited because the set was one big factor in this play. You'll find out why soon enough.

The show starts out with Frances Makil-Ignacio going onstage to answer a phone call. The scene goes on, and after a while, to people's surprise, she drops character and talks to herself, muttering confused stage directions. Then suddenly a loud booming voice from offstage--from somewhere inside the auditorium--gives her the correct stage directions. It's the director of the play-within-a-play, played by Chinggoy Alonso. Yes, my dears, this is a play within a play.

Noises Off tackles the hilarious drama and mishaps of life in the theater during its hectic and crazy production runs. You'll realize how crazy tech week can be, the pressure and the crunch time just to pull off a good show for the audience before the curtain rises on opening night. And of course, you can't miss out on actors' personal dramas with other people, especially with their co-actors and other members of the company. Believe me, coming from a firsthand experience, you wouldn't want to miss out on those.

Each of the cast of characters have their own quirks and issues, and they're greatly expressed all throughout the show, at first somewhat discreetly, but as the play progresses and issues heat up, what you'll see is backstage chaos, but of course, "noises off!"

One thing that sets this play apart is that for the second act, its entire set turns around 180 degrees to show the backstage part of the play-within-a-play's set. Once the backstage is revealed, so is the craziness and chaos (sometimes organized, and sometimes just downright ridiculous) that comes with it. Wait for the third act, and the set turns back around again.

I seriously recommend that you guys watch this play. You won't regret it. If you're a theater person, you'll also relate to the quiet chaos that you'll see emerge during Act 2. It's delightfully funny and you'll tire out of laughter. Sometimes you'll even attempt to control your laughs as if you're also backstage with them.

Noises Off runs from March 28 until April 13, then from April 25 to 27, 2014 at the Onstage theater in Greenbelt 1, Makati.

Tickets are conveniently available through Ticketworld at 891-9999, or www.ticketworld.com.ph.

No comments:

Post a Comment