Saturday, November 17, 2012

Learning and unlearning with an open mind.

When I first started taking ballroom classes, it was basically an open class, with me being the only regular student who attended the class everyday. Because of that, the lessons depended on who were attending on a particular day. If I was the only student, we'd keep moving forward on what I've been learning already, and focus on some techniques. If another occasional student was there (with the exception of Abby, Ate Helen, and sometimes Bernard), we'd tackle something different and new. So in a way, my lessons were kind of inconsistent.




(Photos courtesy of Big Shift DANKA)

I've only recently heard of the syllabus classes in ballroom through Julius, when I first attended his sampling class at Big Shift (though I have no idea why they got another ballroom teacher while I was the only regular student). When I did a little bit of research, I realized that some of the lessons that I've been learning as a beginner are already way too advanced steps and techniques.

I decided to take the syllabus class that Bran's teaching in Dancing Queen. In previous blog entries, I had already mentioned that the Bronze bar class was starting, and considering I haven't studied under them for the Bronze class, I had to catch up via one-on-one private lessons.

On Tuesday of last week, the class after Le Bran was actually a review of the entire Bronze syllabus, so I got to catch up on all 5 dances. I still have a huge weakness for the samba, as I only got to run through the entire syllabus routine right then and there, but I managed to barrel through. It was also my very first time to dance the paso doble, which was kind of a challenge for me. Another challenge that day was after every time we dance, we change our partners. The connection is different with every person who leads us.

Classes started Thursday of last week, but I didn't get to attend. I only got to attend this past Tuesday. We studied the chachacha, and for some reason, I couldn't quite catch on as well as the rest (the other students were Korean ladies). It seems that I can't put everything together simultaneously--my posture, pushing the floor with my feet, the hip movements and twisting of the body, and connecting with the partner through slight pushes and pulls. I felt like such a newbie all over again. It was like I'm Jody in the movie Center Stage. I know the basic footwork, but in terms of technique, I still have so much to learn.

On Thursday morning, I wanted to redeem myself. I also couldn't help but pray and hope that we do the rumba instead of the chachacha. After Le Bran class, I couldn't help but smile widely when Bran said that we'll be studying the rumba that day.

There were actually key points that I learned about the technique that wasn't discussed in detail yet in my classes with Ian, so I was glad to pick it up. Then Bran actually commended my curacha/Cuban rock, as I did it with ease. He had no idea that I've been practicing that everyday for almost 8 months now. After that, we worked on a bit more technique as we danced the syllabus routine until the spot turns, changing partners after each dance.

Then we were given "homework." Bran showed the basic rumba walk that Ian had been teaching me, with a lot more technique. What Ian kept referring to as keeping the heel down, it meant keeping the back foot turned out, at the same time letting the hip follow. It looked much clearer to me that day, even though I looked so awkward during the first couple of times we had to cross the floor. Once we started doing it to the music, it felt more comfortable, and Bran noticed the change. He approached me after the class and told me that I made a big improvement compared to Tuesday's class, and Maui (sp?), whom I had danced with on both days, said so as well.

Bran kept reminding me of simple concept that I've learned in theater. Learn, unlearn, and re-learn. Because I got used to taking an open class, even with the techniques I've learned there, there are still so many endless ways of learning. There's nothing wrong with taking a syllabus or an open class, as long as you keep an open mind.

Ian's workshop starts tomorrow. I can't wait for that as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment