Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Stop hurrying and enjoy the view.

I have this weird affinity for sunsets. I love the bursts of color it makes in the sky. The fiery reds and oranges, sometimes golds and pinks and the occasional lavender. I remember telling a young colleague a few days ago that I used to chase sunsets during afternoon bike rides in our village, and much prefer them to sunrises.

This past Sunday morning, while I was on a shuttle ride to PICC, I was in such a rush. Due to downpour of rain in our area, I thought I may not make it in time for our service's call time. "Great," I told myself. "It's been a while since I last served in the music ministry, and I'll be late." While this thought kept running in my head, something made me stop as the shuttle coasted into the highway.

Amidst the dark clouds, there in the distance was the golden yellow glow or the sunrise. I just stopped thinking about all my negative thoughts about being late, and just stared in awe because it looked so beautiful. I didn't even bother to bring out my phone to snap a photo of it, and just enjoyed the view. Magical would be the best way to describe it. It looked like in the distance, at the end of Coastal Road, I was heading off to a happy beautiful and magical place that resembled Narnia. Well, I guess I was right about heading to happy place because I was going to PICC for The Feast.

That simple view of the sky at sunrise was a mere simple joy that seemed like a gentle reminder. It reminded me that every once in a while, despite all the hurrying and rush in our lives, we should also stop and appreciate God's beautiful creations. Especially those we take for granted.

And then, surprise, surprise. I make it to the PICC Plenary Hall at exactly 6:44 AM, one minute before call time. The entire ride only took me exactly 22 minutes... And I was the first one to arrive.

Simple joys like this always lift me up no matter what mood I'm in.

Don't rush. Stop every once in a while, enjoy the moment, wait a little, and things you don't even expect will come to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment