Sunday, February 22, 2009

Update of a girl's "work in pragres."

Not exactly an update, but because I haven't been blogging as much as I used to, I guess you can still call this an update, hahaha.

I got to watch a rerun of Top Design a couple of weeks ago, aptly right after I had met up with a couple of friends from my interior design block in UST. Yep, if I hadn't pursued theater, I would've been an interior designer. It was so funny how that came about. I loved playing with dollhouses as a kid, and recreating the space in those houses. But I never regretted spending a year studying interior design. I never thought of myself as a real artist, and only knew how to draw by directly copying something, and sometimes even just by tracing over things. Under the super critical eyes of my professors, I had to learn how to draft, sketch and master handling certain drawing tools and coloring materials. I had to painstakingly repeat plates and studies just because I drew over a line twice or have too much green in a particular shade of brown. But even as I muttered angry words at them behind their backs while hoping that the rains would flood the entire campus for the next few days, I was still grateful for what I had picked up from them. I had enjoyed studying art history so much that I brought it with me to CSB, along with the simple drawing techniques.

When I had seen Clarz and Frances in Taft that day, I was so happy for what they have become. I remember Clarz crying in the hallway during our freshman year because of an unreasonable grade our professor had given her. I remember my adventures with Frances and Jill and the rest of our gang just so we can finish an art history project inspired from Jill's "love letters" to us. Now these two are real interior designers, and are airming for a really big project to design a school. Wow, I sure hope they bag that job.


There are some things that never change, even in certain groups, if you know what I mean. There was a group of people that I never really clicked with because of their power trips and unreasonable judgment, and for quite a while, I thought they had changed because the original people had already left. Maybe their outlook on life changed when new people came. That's what I thought. But I guess I thought wrong. There are still some of the same kinds of people, the type who just doesn't like you just because "hindi ka nila feel."  Regardless of your talent and your skills, basta di ka feel, ayaw nila sa iyo. How superficial... How juvenile. Then they carry this huge aura that screams "I'm better than you" just because they know what they can do, or just because they feel as if they just are better than you. Igh. Sorry ha, but just because a material's funny doesn't mean that you can play everything for laughs.


Oops, my apologies for the rant.

Anyway.

I've already been to the National Musuem once (what kind of Filipino am I? Hahaha) a few years ago, but yesterday was the first time I came face to face with the Spolarium. It was supposed to be some sort of field trip for class, so I just thought that I would just come in, look at everything that I needed and write things down, then leave. So once I stepped inside the room, I approached the first painting nearest the door and started scribbling away. When I got to the center of the room, there it was. Juan Luna's Spolarium. My pen still was poised on the notebook I was holding, and I was just standing there, gawking at the entire piece. Despite the painting's theme, it was so so so beautiful. The rich colors, the details, everything. Huwaw.


Showtime is near. Tuesday to be exact. Hay naku, one thing I still hate about familiar materials is the regret that I had watched versions of it, giving me pegs that I tend to copy. Arg. Then old habits suddenly returned. I become afraid of silence again, and my eyes keep shrinking. And I tend to go deaf. Double arg. Maybe it comes with the pressure, hahaha. I know the original cast will be checking out the production. Bumisita lang once si Labli, na-lost na ako eh, hahaha.

Two more days. I'll just have fun with it, I guess.

4 comments:

  1. Did you check? The seams? The places where it was cut? Did you see? Did you seeeeeeeeee? *bounces up and down like an excited child*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ay sheeeeet! Yun ang nakalimutan kong tingnan! Yun pa naman ang iniisip ko the day before ako pumunta, rawr. Tanga lang, hahaha. Matingnan nga ulit sa Wednesday. May iilan samin na balak bumalik eh.

    ReplyDelete