Monday, February 6, 2012

Good things always come.

My voice is finally back! And I'm not coughing like crazy anymore, but I'm still taking the prescribed medication that the EENT gave me last week. I was in a crazy, unproductive rut when I'm at home, so even though I was "sentenced" to vocal rest, I was still excited to go back to work in CCP, even if it meant that I had to use my voice.

On the first day of my week's worth of vocal rest, I got a text from Anna, asking me if I wanted to be an assistant stage manager for some production, as her boyfriend Acey's already one of the 2 ASMs. I asked what show it was, and for the schedule, and as it turned out, it was Hendri's production of Children's Letters to God! I've been hearing about this since December, and they're doing a few shows in Cebu and Dumaguete. I said I wanted to, but I needed to know about the entire schedule. After my text exchange with Anna, I found Hendri online on Facebook, and he talked it out with me. Considering it was a good project with great timing on my part, I accepted the job. Plus it has the perks of working with people I love and/or wanted to work with, plus I get to travel to Cebu again!

Hendri had told me to contact Dingdong, who's the stage manager for this production. I was told that I could pick up the script from him at Onstage during Next Fall's closing weekend. I ended up going there yesterday, it's closing show. I wasn't really planning on watching the play; I just wanted to pick up the script, then head over to CCP to meet up with Carlo and Micah, as Carlo's in Manila this weekend to watch Eyeball and Mamma Mia. I ended up staying because Dingdong said that he'll give me the script during intermission, hahaha.

Next Fall was pretty good. It tackled a gay couple's issues about their differences, most especially in religion. They were witty, they were sincere, they made me laugh and even cry at the end. It even highlighted a play that I did as a workshop recital (Thornton Wilder's Our Town), so I felt nostalgic as well. Overall, I was so glad I got to watch it during their closing show, so super thanks to Dingdong for that.

After the show, I headed over to CCP to meet up with Carlo, Micah and hopefully even EmJ. Eyeball's Set A had been over for about an hour when I arrived, but I found Jelson at the Little Theater lobby. As I was still waiting for Carlo and company, Jelson invited me to join him and some others (Pam, Erick, Tad, Riki and Lao) at Jollibee for dinner. I went along with him, even though I had already eaten during the cab ride from Makati to CCP. So I ended up sitting there with them, then we started walking to Starbucks. On our way to Starbucks, we even stopped at one of the tiangge stalls and looked at some toys, when some little kid took Jelson's hand, thinking he was holding his dad's hand. Hahaha, it amused us for a bit until the poor kid got shocked when he realized that Jelson wasn't his dad.

After settling at a table in Starbucks, Micah appeared, and I got a text from Carlo at the same time. I joined the siblings instead at a different table after getting our drinks, and EmJ had appeared as well to say hi for a bit. Chatted for a while until they decided to head over to the Main Theater, so I bid my goodbyes to the TP crowd. Riki had even asked if I was watching Mamma Mia with them, and I simply quipped that I might hang around in case there would be a freebie.

Said hello to Tin (who was working the entire floor selling souvenir programs and CDs) in the Main Theater lobby, and we talked and joked around until we heard the 5-minute chimes go off. When the crowd had dispersed, I hung around a bit by the merchandise booth with Tin, Noeme, Chewy and the others there.

While they were on break, Sir Ernie had appeared, and asked who wanted to watch. Of course, I had to smile and said that I'd want to. He rummaged through his bag and gave me an orchestra ticket! Super thank you, Sir Ernie! It was on row V (second to the last row), and I had missed a couple of song numbers, but I didn't care. I was about to watch Mamma Mia! The usher then informed me that I would be seated in the nearest available seat, and I can transfer to my own seat by intermission, but I didn't mind. Heck, of course I didn't mind, because the ushers led me farther down... to the 4th row of the orchestra! Woohoo! I got to see the show way up close! I was all smiles the entire time. And when intermission rolled around, I left the theater for a while, and when no one still hadn't claimed that seat, I stayed instead of going far back to my actual seat, hahaha!

Watching the show, I remembered why I fell in love with musical theater. The songs, the dancing, the heart and passion of the actors as they performed. And because I grew up singing to ABBA's songs as a kid (imagine a 6-year-old me singing to "Chiquitita" and "Fernando" at least once a day whenever my parents played it on the stereo), I enjoyed all of the songs. I wanted to sing and dance along with all of them. Everyone in the cast, from the leads to the chorus, were A-mazing. I loved their energy. I'm so grateful that I got to watch it, and super up close!

I love how things always turn up pretty well after a lousy rut. And I'm truly grateful for things like that.

Here's a random thought while I was watching the show last night. I remember a time when I was pretty happy and content with my life. Never mind that I didn't have a significant other, and I wasn't bothered by the fact that I didn't have a boyfriend, not even dating anyone. I was perfectly content with the way things were going then. I want to go back to that disposition. I can't wait. I know this is blind optimism, but I don't care. Unconventional happiness, good vibes are still good vibes.

No comments:

Post a Comment