Friday, April 9, 2010

Workshopping yet again.

"Theater is a safe environment to do unsafe things."

I remember reading that in Bobby's blog 5 years ago, when Atlantis' Beauty and The Beast was about to open at the Meralco theater. I loved that quote so much that I wrote it everywhere--on a Post-it on my desktop, my notebook in the office, in one of my favorite notebooks, and even saved it as a message on my phone.

I remembered that quote on the first day of Rehearsal and Performance Techniques workshop in CCP this past Tuesday. Even though it was already my 2nd time to take that class, it still feels like a brand-new class to take. Anyway, back to the quote, it reminded me of what JK kept telling us during warm-ups. Aside from the usual, "Challenge yourself," he would say something like, "Go for the kill," and "Get in trouble." I like how he put it, because hey, acting is all about taking risks, and you can't always play safe and stay in your comfort zone. Where else can you see yourself barefoot, having people scrutinize your walk without much judgment, and where you can find everyone falling without fear, as there's always someone to catch you, and where you can be all over the floor rolling in every way (and I'm not just talking about mere log rolls here)? Plus there's the thrill and headaches of script analysis and creating a character step by step, and eventually making it your own.

I told myself that I wanted to return to the RPT class this year, so I immediately set my mind to find means to enroll myself for this summer. Thank goodness for freelance ushering, no matter how much or how little you earn with that, hahaha. Anyway, I eventually found out that Sir Dennis, the one who usually teaches the class, will be teaching at the new branch in Miriam, which was way too far for me. But I also found that that Miss Tess, one of my teachers from the Beginning Acting class a few years back, would be teaching RPT in CCP this year, along with JK. I chatted with her one time and she mentioned that she would be taking a different approach on the class. We would be more physical, she had said, unlike when Sir Dennis was teaching it, as he always took more time on table discussions. I like different. Like I keep telling other people, I like this class (hence the reason for coming back) because it's not always the same thing every year, unlike most of those basic theater workshops that almost teach the same thing over and over again.

There are 11 of us now in the class. One had to drop out because she had scheduling conflict on the final week of class right on until the recital day, but another enrollee came to replace her. I heard last night that another one will be enrolling, but won't be coming to class until Tuesday, as he will be flying in from Japan tomorrow.  I actually like it that classes are small like this one, because it's more intimate, and mas natututukan ang lahat, compared to having a big class where it takes time for everyone to have their turn at things. And so far, the people in the class have been great. Haha, MA was so funny yesterday as he had come in late (he got stuck in a bad traffic jam despite the fact that he lived so close), and he actually brought peach mango pies for everyone. We snacked on them while we took time to go through our monologues and action verbs.

We're finally getting the entire script of our recital tomorrow. As of now, we only have a couple of monologues with us to focus on this week, and I can't wait to read the entire piece.

In other news, most Make Believe classes have started this week in Merville. My own class in Alabang begins on Monday. Ack, I'm kinda anxious, nervous, and excited all at the same time. It's going to be my first time ever to lead a class of kids, but thank goodness I won't be alone, as Sean will be teaching the class with me, and Nina will also be there once in a while to help out.

"There is nothing more rewarding than working in theatre. And I know many people who will agree with me on this. Theatre is a safe environment to do unsafe things. And, thus, the bonds you form sometimes will last you your whole life."

2 comments:

  1. i love this blog. and peach mango pies are goooood for the soul. i still owe you laing. i missed your blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, thanks MA. =) Next time na lang yung laing, when you have time na lang. =)

    ReplyDelete