Thursday, April 1, 2010

Ending March on a good note.

Taking advantage of still being able to go out during the early days of Holy Week, I decided on a whim to check out this show in Market Market by some of my friends from Trumpets, directed by Sir Jaime (haha, I still never got around to calling him Tito to his face). It was called Christ in The Concrete City, and I expected something text-heavy because of what Joms told me.

Headed over to the venue and immediately saw familiar faces. Even the cast was outside mingling, so there were so many friends and acquaintances to say hi to. I remember Pam coming up to me and introducing herself once we were inside the venue. We've heard of each other for quite a long time, but it was the first time that we had actually met each other.

Yep, they were right. The material was pretty much text-heavy, but I never really saw it as too preachy as some people had anticipated it to be. They had edited some parts of the original script to colloquial speech and even Filipino and Taglish, so it was easier to understand. The cast's performance was pretty good, and showed Sir Jaime's seamless direction. And may "manual revolve" pa sila, hahaha. A swift movement of the actors, and the whole acting area had changed. There were some little things, though, like the "anti-talking" motion in quiet conversation, but other than that, the show was really great. Congrats to the cast and directors!

After the show, a little bit of mingling, and then Alys, Tracy and I were off in Joms' car to accompany him and some others to their Magsimula Ka callback auditions. It was Joms' birthday yesterday, and he invited us to eat afterward, so we tagged along. At Spotlight, we ended up hanging around outside, just talking with Kakki and Didang some others while we waited. Hahaha, our stomachs were grumbling already because of the anticipation of Shakey's pizza that Joms had proposed. At the last minute, when everyone had already finished with their callback auditions, we decided to have dinner at Som's instead.

Off to Som's and it was time to finally eat! Hahaha. Thanks for the birthday treat, Joms! I read a review in Iam's blog about the place, as I had never had a prior Som's experience. But I have to say that my favorites were also hers, which were the spring rolls and the yummy milk tea, even though I had countless servings of the shrimp fried rice and the pad thai. Yum. Crazy funny anecdotes abound, like the "jabar" quip courtesy of Nikki, hahaha. I have to admit that it's been years since I hung out with friends from Trumpets, and it was nice to hang out with this crowd and meet new people that I've always just watched onstage. And I love Joms' birthday wish for all of us this year, with an additional "minus one" in the end, so as there would be something more to look forward to in the following year.

When dinner started, someone proposed to watch How To Train Your Dragon after eating at Som's, but then plans changed and we decided to just hang out and have a few drinks over at Ikey's place instead. Yeah, Joms had bought beer and stuff, while Ikey had served wine as well, plus popcorn, chips and chocolate (hence the quip, "The darker, the better." Ahehehe.) People settled on the couches, the chairs, the floor and the massage chair, as some played Wario Ware on Ikey's Wii, until they got tired of it and we all decided to just watch American Idol instead.

When we finally called it a night, I hitched a ride with Joms, who was rambling again as usual, hahaha. Pagbigyan na, birthday naman niya eh, hahaha. Plus I had my own share of ramblings last Sunday and during the short drive to Ikey's place from Som's.

All in all, it was a good day for me.

2 comments:

  1. Good day, good day. hahaha! Ramblings... BAH HUMBUG!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wahahaha, I needed a day like yesterday, so consolation na rin yung ramblings, hahahaha!

    ReplyDelete