Monday, February 14, 2011

Merely watching.

One of the many reasons why I didn't commit to working for one production this quarter is simply because I don't want to be tied to just one show when there are so many good stuff to watch during arts month.

Last Thursday, I got to watch the 2nd day of Monodrama Manila (as part of the International Monodrama Festival, I think) in CCP's Tanghalang Huseng Batute. Alimuom, the monologue that Tad had performed in UP and in CSB, was part of it. Anyway, I got to watch the matinee show of the day's set. I was sitting next to Tuxqs and Miss Shamaine during the first monologue, Su Lokes, an entry from Mindanao. It took us a while to figure out the story, even as we shuffled through the program for its synopsis, but eventually we figured it out when we had stepped out of the theater during the intermission to defrost ourselves.

It was even more freezing than usual that time in the Batute (I think they just had to air conditioner filters cleaned or something), and even when I sat in between Anna and Russell in the gallery during the second monologue, Biyous (an entry from Visayas), I was still freezing my ass off. Something about the guy's characters threw me off. I got a little confused with his gay character and his patron, and well, I guess I got a little bored after a while, and even Russ stepped out for a quick bite, while Anna covered herself with Russ' jacket and started texting away.

We stepped out of the theater again during the intermission, and headed back inside just when Alimuom was just starting. Per usual, Tad's reformist soldier was engrossing, his stories were so graphic that it was almost revolting. There were some parts of the monologue that I didn't really want to listen to because of the imagery, ahahaha.

After the show, I went with Anna, Russ and Riki to Mang Inasal to eat. It was intriguing to hear some news about Riki, but I decided not to press on. It was so amusing watching these two guys with their antics with Anna, that you can't help but laugh til your sides ache. We were also joined by Martha and one of ZsaZsa Zaturnnah's new Dodongs (oh shoot, I forgot his name). Of course, Riki had introduced Anna and Riki as former ACs, and me as Tad's ex. Haha, kaloka, ganun talaga ang pagpakilala sakin. And speaking of the devil, Tad joined us a bit later. Kamusta naman ang panukso na pinapatabi siya sakin when he arrived.

When it was almost time for the ZsaZsa cast to resume rehearsals at 6pm, I tagged along with Tad, Anna and Russ to Starbucks to just hang out until Tad had to go back to Batute for the evening show. Interesting conversations abound, such as The Actors Guild, how the AC is now and before, and all that stuff.


On Friday, we resumed script analysis class, after quite a long break. Wow, and to think that the last class we had was on the first week of November. Anyway, we quickly wrapped up Pirandello's Six Characters In Search Of An Author, and then we started reading The Man of La Mancha. Funny musical, and we couldn't help laughing as we read the lines. I was also pretty amused at how Sir Dennis would suddenly begin a song with such fervor, complete with musical vamps, hahahaha.

One favorite line I liked in the play was, "We both select from life what pleases us." Interesting.

And when we had to write down all our initial reactions on the play after first reading it, I liked what Reg said. "I miss the man who treats me like Dulcinea."

After class, we headed to the buffeteria to eat, then I tagged along with Kat and Rayna to the Batute, so we could catch the Lithuanian National Theater Company's Birute Mar perform Antigone at the Monodrama Manila. My goodness, she was amazing. Even though we never understood what she was saying, her movements and expressions were so clear. Her eyes were so hauntingly piercing. Brava.


On Saturday, I first met with Rosa for lunch after my shift. We both had the yummy Curry Beef Rice at Pepper Lunch, then had their molten chocolate cake for dessert. Yummm. We went around Glorietta for a while until I had to go to CCP to catch another matinee of that day's set of monodramas.

Haha, Miss Nikki was delightfully amused when I told her I was a paying audience that day. As soon as the house opened, I settled in my favorite seat at the top of the bleachers. Little did I know that I was sitting at a perfect spot for a later performance.

Nar was up first for Anak ng Babaylan. I was so relieved that he was performing, because when I watched it the first time in CSB with a different actor, I didn't quite understand it. Nar was fascinating to watch, with all those ethnic movements as he performed the monologue, ending with his character sacrificing certain beliefs.

I already got to watch Skyzx in Queen Kong also in CSB, and her performance was still equally hilarious despite her character's unfortunate situation. It was just annoying how the students around me kept giving crazy comments all throughout the show (starting with "Nababaliw ba siya?" at the beginning of Nar's monologue).

The students just had to gasp when they realized who was performing in the next monologue. Ahahaha. None other than Shamaine Centenera Buencamino. She had performed El Galeon de Simeon when we went to visit the Galeon Andalucia last year, and she was awesome. With this quieter, more closed venue, I was able to concentrate on the performance more. And I realized, the kids around me had also shut up, caught up in the performance. My goodness, I was trying to hold back tears near the end of the monologue, and when I briefly glanced around me, I could also see half the crowd wiping away tears ever so discreetly, so I stopped holding mine back. Huwaw, now that was stellar.


Teena had texted me while I was still in the theater, asking if I was coming over to RCBC that day for Rent. I asked her if they were shorthanded that day, because I decided to just go if they were. And yes, they were. So instead of attending the monodrama forum after the matinee show, I headed for RCBC.

OK, I have to admit, this year's Rent is better than last year's. After I had ushered during the evening show, I simply told Geli, "It works." Exactly. Ganun naman kasi dapat. Learn and unlearn, diba?


Anyway, enough updates for now. Oh, Valentine's day already? Just for a little interaction, here are some little questions for those who read this blog. What's your favorite Valentine's Day memory? And how are you going to spend this year's Valentine's Day?

Time for sleep. Happy Valentine's Day, everyone!

6 comments:

  1. Wow. How I wish I had a lot of time for these activities like you, Hogi. :) This was a nice read. Thanks for sharing. Oh, as for your questions, wala pa akong favorite Vday memory. Yet. And since today is already Vday, this is how I spend it. Online, writing and doing my research, then off to work tonight. :) No need for a date. I'm happy as the day went by (refer to my FB status) heehee!

    hope you have a very nice Valentine's Day, and looking forward to more of your posts! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh lol! May reader interactivity na? I'll bite.

    Fave v day memory... This'll sound pathetic, but it always has been almost tripping on a big, fluffy, blue Teddy bear gift.

    I'll just be a worker this year. I need to focus on my corporate life to recover from the ushering madness. Haha I love ushering, especially with this theatre family, but it can get tiring.

    Eh ikaw, what're your answers to your own questions? Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. actually, parang ang sarap nga this time around to just watch and appreciate and process. BUT it also causes poverty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, benta nga sakin yung status mo eh. It's true, though. You really have to love yourself first. It's one of the few things you have to be selfish about. =)

    Happy Valentine's Day to you too, Jha! =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why is it na for some reason, I knew na isa ka sa mga kakagat sa question ko? Hahaha. Ewan, lucky guess siguro. =P

    Sasagutin ko ang sarili kong questions in a separate entry na lang, hehe. Kayo muna ang sumagot dito. =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So true. So it really helps if you know and are friends with the people behind the prods, ahehehe.

    ReplyDelete