Saturday, June 23, 2012

After the first week of the second season.

In the elevator after one class this past week, Adam had asked me if I had been dancing [ballroom] long. I had admitted that I really can't dance to save my life, and I had only started dancing this summer.

While we were hanging out outside the studio before class, Bernard had told Adam that when he first attended our ballroom class, he noticed how stiff my curacha was (considering it was only my 3rd day, and it was his first). But I had managed to improve as the days progressed.

This week's the first week of Big Shift's second season, and straight on, from our very first day of class, Ian started me on certain advanced techniques, plus focused on correcting my basics (I sometimes still have a poor turnout, I do shortcuts when I do the rumba walk, and my hips still won't cooperate). Each class this week offered a different challenge, like learning a new rhythm, learning how to connect with a partner, new advanced steps to learn and how to put all of them together. Sometimes I come to the studio a little early for stretching and warm-ups, with Ian just there observing and correcting me if needed.

Classes this season are only 3 days a week, unlike last season's 6 days a week. Plus the ballroom schedule in the early afternoon had been moved an hour. Still a good schedule for me for 2 days of the week, then I just have to take the evening class on Fridays.

After class yesterday evening, Ian introduced me to Arknee (I guess he forgot that we were already introduced the day they got together). I was just expecting to leave the venue with them then we go our separate ways, but then Ian invited me to have dinner with them. We ended up at Wendy's, and just stayed there for a while, talking. It was so amusing watching Ian so kilig. It also amused and (I don't know why) kinda embarrassed me at how he raved to Arknee about me being his loyal and keen student this entire summer (heck, I never missed a day of class). He also mentioned a little earlier that he'll be prepping Arknee up as well, so he can be my dance partner. Oh my, oh my. So I guess the search for my partner has ended.

We still kept on talking during the walk to the intersection. I don't know why, but Ian still kept raving, at how he'd grown to love me as his student at Big Shift (favorite? Hahaha), and how we've grown pretty close by now. I have to say, Ian's become a pretty cool friend outside Big Shift. I'm really grateful that he's decided to take me under his wing now that I've focused on this.

Speaking of focusing on ballroom, yes, I made a big leap. A drastic change. I was supposed to be involved in 2 projects under TP this season. I backed out of both of them to focus on ballroom dancing. Some people said it was fine, as this is a rare opportunity. So of course, I had to go for it. And hardly anyone knows this, but I actually started learning ballroom dancing before I got into theater. My best friends and I were in a dance and movement club back in seventh grade, and we were already ballroom dancing before Rosa had talked me into auditioning for the school musical production. When I got fell in love with theater, I stayed. Ballroom dancing, though, was still a fascination for me, which was why I attended that session in Pasinaya 4 years ago.

And well, here I am. And we'll see how this goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment