Saturday, June 16, 2012

Free sampling class week.

This week, Big Shift offered another round of free sampling classes to introduce their new season. It was just like last April's sampling classes, but at least this time I don't have to feel so awkward because I already know the people.

I ended up attending both of Ian's sampling classes, and even invited some people to join me. Unfortunately, either the people already made plans during those times (heck, it was at 8 in the evening), or ballroom dancing really isn't their thing. But surprise, surprise, Howie joined me during the first ballroom sampling class on Thursday night. At first, I thought almost no one would be interested to attend ballroom. But wonder of wonders, while Howie and I were still hanging out outside the satellite studio (where the class were being held that day), there were a bunch of girls who signed up for the class, plus this pretty Chinese girl (I forgot her name) who once attended one of our evening classes. She could barely speak a word of English, but thank goodness her friend was there to translate.

We covered the rumba that night, and there were times that Ian singled me out as an example, but my big mistake that night was not warming up before class, because my left leg was cramping like crazy. I managed to survive the class with a bad left leg, but lesson learned. I was glad Howie actually enjoyed the class, regardless that he was the only one there who had to learn the guy's steps for the sliding doors, and had to dance with half the girls in the room when Ian made everyone review the basic rumba plus alemana turns.

Once everyone started leaving after the class, Ian took a couple of minutes to check on my own technique, because my sliding door was kind of messed up that night. Then he took me aside and told me that Ate Helen was offering me her gift certificates, as she will be using the class package that her son Adrian had won during the actual dance showdown last Sunday. Oh my oh my, super thank you, Ate Helen. You helped me save a bundle for another package.

Howie, Ian and I left the mall at the same time. Once Howie bid his goodbyes, I hung out with Ian for a few minutes more while he smoked. He mentioned this one photo I posted on Facebook of the two of us, and he noticed Carmie's comment, about hoping to see me compete someday. "Hindi malayo na mangyari yun, na mag-compete ka," he said. Oh my. It's like what Pasinaya 2008 all over again.

I went back to Big Shift on Friday to attend Ian's second sampling class, which had an earlier time slot of 6:30. I arrived way too early, a little past 5, because Ian wanted to teach me some advanced techniques before class started, and he wanted me dressed and warmed up before then. I was about to sit on the couch outside the main studio when a familiar face inside caught my eye. It was Roan! She had just signed up for a couple of the sampling classes for that day, and didn't want to tell me until she was sure she could make it. She signed up for the 5pm pole dancing and the 6:30pm intermediate jazz. We managed to quickly chat up a storm while I changed into my skirt and shoes before her pole dancing class started.

I had already finished warming up by the time Ian had arrived. We moved to the space outside the satellite studio and I had to do this rumba segment that he had taught us before. Rumba fan to hockey stick to overturn, ball change, curacha. He had to clean my entire technique, from hip movement to my messy footwork. My goodness, I was sweating it out already and class hasn't even officially started.

When class did start, only one guy was there with us. He looked like he did have a dancer's physique, and he moved like one, but like me when I started out, he had a poor turnout. I still have a lousy turnout myself, but I guess I'm still trying to get used to it. Anyway, we covered the basic cha cha cha that evening, and about 3 or 4 more girls joined the class, including the interpreter of the pretty Chinese girl from the night before.

Once again, I had notes. As I had already been put into the advanced level, I'm now required to do more hip movement. And make smaller steps (20% less, hahaha). Those two notes actually go hand in hand in a way, I've learned.

Oh, Ian finally gave me Ate Helen's gift certificates that night. Again, thank you so much!

After changing out of my sweaty clothes, I managed to strike up a quick chat with Howie, Fran (yes, Howie managed to talk Fran into attending the intermediate jazz sampling class) and Roan at the bigger main studio while waiting for Ian to gather his stuff. As it turned out, the intermediate jazz teacher didn't arrive, so they were given gift certificates for a free session instead. They still stuck around to attend the 8pm contemporary jazz class.

Left the venue again with Ian, and walked together to the corner of Buendia and Makati Avenue together. He told me that I could come in to class early so he can focus on my technique for half an hour before we actually start the hour-long class. I actually like that idea, because an hour is pretty short for what he's been teaching. My goodness, he really wants me to keep this going. "Gusto ko maloka sila sayo sa susunod na recital," he had said. When I had said that I missed Abby, he even said that I'm the next Abby. Ahahaha, if only I could do half of what Abby can already do, I could have the same amount of confidence.

I can't wait for classes to start again.

2 comments: