Monday, June 11, 2012

On my first dance recital.

Last night was Big Shift's Pump Up DecaDANCE Showdown Party, which somewhat served as the recital for all students of the classes under Big Shift. Prior to the event, I was nervous as hell, as this was my very first dance recital.

I remember that I couldn't dance to save my life. In a musical theater workshop 5 years ago, we were taught basic movement from ballet and jazz, but that was it. Safe to say that from one or two of those sessions were basic movements that helped me stand out when the PDTA president had noticed me at a one-hour ballroom class, but I still couldn't dance if my life depended on it. But despite that, I still wanted to learn how to dance ballroom.

Ian had started choreo of our cha cha cha last Monday, to the song "Kiss" (the Art of Noise featuring Tom Jones version). It took me ages to get the choreography right, which included one class that only had me, plus an evening class with Abby that very same day. There was a little light scolding here and there during our Saturday rehearsal, because I realized that I had depended on the mirror and my peripheral vision to look at the others when I get lost, instead of relying on muscle memory and memory itself.

Anyway, so after a week of rehearsing, last night was the big day. I was still nervous but I didn't want to show it, as Abby had been pretty vocal about it already. Plus Ian had decided to pair me up with his younger brother Bonbon, who never came to rehearsal except on the day itself. When the brothers had arrived, it was high time to rehearse. As there was no other place to rehearse, we ended up staying in front of the closed CCF venue that faced the escalators. Eventually, because Bonbon had only learned the choreography that day, Ian had decided to pair up with me and let Bonbon dance with Ate Helen. I breathed a huge sigh of relief once I found out.

We rehearsed it a couple more times inside the actual venue, just like the day before, just so Bonbon would know the blocking and how big the space would be later. Then it was back to where we were rehearsing so we can get ready. Ian had said that he would provide me with my costume. When Bonbon handed it to me, oh my. It was bedazzled so it was pretty heavy, it had a low back, and an uber short skirt. I stared at it for a long while before I told Bonbon that it might be too short. He said it was alright, and I did have the legs for it. Coming from him, I think I'll take his word for it. Oh, and by the way, the dress is actually his, as he sometimes dances as a girl.

Ian had also offered to do my makeup, as he does Ate Helen's as well, but after doing one eye, he had let Janel (Abby's personal makeup artist) finish up. He also let me borrow some falsies, as the other 2 girls were wearing falsies as well. I have to say, he did a pretty good job.

We kept reviewing the steps, especially for my sake and Bonbon's (well, mostly for me, haha). As Bonbon is the better dancer (as Ian had admitted), he did help a bit with some of the technique. When I tried rehearsing the dance proper with Bernard, his energy was pretty contagious so I just had to project, to Ian's delight (because I hardly smiled when we rehearse the dance). I realized I really had to give all the energy I've got.

Abby was still vocal about her nervousness by the time the program started and we were already inside the venue, so I still clammed up. We (Abby, Ate Helen and I) hung around inside the small recording space behind the tech booth for a while as Bonbon gave us a little more tips on technique regarding sharp movements. Ian said that he didn't really have to motivate me anymore because I already knew how to do that on my own. I shared my performance motto from years ago, "If all else fails, project!" Hahahaha.

By the time it was our turn to dance, I've forgotten whether I was still nervous or not. But Abby was right. Once you hear the music, all you can do is just dance your heart out. Which I did. It actually felt good despite the fact that usually I don't like it when people watch me. But because of the confidence that I finally know the choreo by heart, I was on a high. Never mind that Ian tripped on the hem of his pants sometime before our highlights. I know that we still pulled off a good performance.

The rest of the night flew by. We got to watch the other performances as well. When we watched the beginners' hip hop performance, it was so adorable that Zhana and Adrian were front and center. Those two could really jam, as they didn't just have the moves, they also had the attitude. Ian and Ate Helen also had this nice rumba exhibition. Bernard had 2 other performances for jazz funk and some of the Hotlegs.

The event wasn't really hyped up that much, but I have to say that because I loved how I did that night, it was all good. Not bad for my first ever dance recital. I was a beginner when I first started the classes in April, then I kept coming to class 6 days a week. And I ended up dancing with my teacher, 2 advanced students (who have already been competing for years), another professional ballroom dancer, and a jazz funk teacher. All have had prior dance training while I had zero. I can't wait for the second season classes to start.

To my teacher Ian, thank you for everything you've taught, and for the patience. You already know how much I'm grateful. To my classmates Abby, Ate Helen, plus Olivia, Tita Lucy and Zhana, I had fun dancing with you. Thanks as well to Bernard for the optimism and extra help when we danced together in class twice a week. Thanks as well to Bonbon for the extra last minute pointers, plus for letting me wear one of your costumes. And of course, to Big Shift for opening up this awesome opportunity, I can't thank everyone enough.

6 comments:

  1. Congrats, Hogi! :D :D :D Sample! Sample! Sample! Hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha, salamats! Gusto mo ng sample? Attend ka ng sampling class either tomorrow or Friday night. =P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wala, hahaha. In fairness, nanood ang nanay at kuya ko. Last time nanood mom ko ng recital, 2007 pa, hahaha. Natuwa naman siya, pero as usual, sa isip niya, summer thing lang ito.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Naku, inay, karir na yan. Yan ang magpapayaman sa atin, kamo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha, hindi yan naniniwala diyan. Sayang nga umalis na sila agad bago niya nakilala si Ian. Siguro posibleng maiba ang pananaw niya if ever. Super mahal ang bayad sa mga katulad niya pag outside ng dance school eh.

    ReplyDelete