Sunday, November 4, 2007

The Theater Checklist

Stole this from Mahar's blog. Like him, I'm curious about everyone's answers would be...

[x] 1. You’ve said countless times, "I can’t. I have rehearsal."
- Oh yes... Hay...

[ ] 2. Anyone who says Macbeth has a death wish.
 
[ ] 3. You realize theater is your social life and you don’t have any friends outside of theater.

[x] 4. If you're an actor, tech people become your heroes.
- Hell, yeah!

[ ] 5. You think the Reduced Shakespeare Company is hilarious and understand the jokes while other people watching it are confused.
 
[x] 6. You want to shoot people who think putting on a production is easy.
- From my early days, to thesis to everything, hello!

[x] 7. Stress is a way of life.
- I used to say that if I'm not stressed, I'm not working hard enough, ahehehe.

[x] 8. Cast parties rank right up there with birthday parties.
- It's what everyone looks forward to after a good show.

[x] 9. You never realized how much fun you had at rehearsals until you don’t have any more.
- Yeah... Sometimes we'd just keep recalling all the crazy things we've done.

[ ] 10. You’ve been quoted on the Quote Wall.
- I haven't had the pleasure, but I do have my own pages in Father Flynn's notebook during Doubt. Paging Bea, can I borrow those scribbles? Hahahaha!
 
[x] 11. You can’t seem to memorize your lines, but you know everyone else’s lines verbatim.
- And to think that I have poor memory.
 
[x] 12. You have the urge to be in character in public.
- Hahaha, I always do.

[x] 13. Once the production is over you don't know what to do with your time.
- Remembering Cris during the first run of Joseph. "What will I do with my evenings???" Withdrawals have no time limit.

[x] 14. You complain about how ugly your costume is.
- Nyahahay, I remember looking like a cake with pink icing, and a perky McDonald's endorser.

[x] 15. You absolutely love your costume and want to steal it from the costume room after the play is over.
- I already did it before. Hyukhyukhyuk.

[x] 16. You think your director is the coolest guy ever.
- I sing praises about all of them.
 
[ ] 17. You think your director is an idiot.
- Need I say who this one is?

[x] 18. You love going to see other productions just to compare them to yours.
- Mang-okray ba? We need to learn to critique as well, hehehe.

[ ] 19. You argue with your director about which play to do next.

[x] 20. You go see other productions and cringe when you see people that can’t act.
- Ah yes. Hay...

[ ] 21. Homework? Never heard of it.
- Who said that you won't have homework when you're in theatre? Script analysis, character profile, etc! I know a bunch of teachers who are notorious for this.
 
[x] 22. You could easily set up a cot and live in the theater. You’re there all the time anyway.
- We already did this before for one production, hehehe.</i>

[x] 23. You dread the thought of having rehearsal, but the second you get there you don’t want to leave.
- It's because of the work you enjoy doing, and the company you're with.

[x] 24. You meet someone from another theater and instantly become best friends.
- The world of theater is such a small world... There are so many of you! And I love y'all! And you, of course. Teeheehee...

[x] 25. You beg all of your friends to come see you in the play when you are only onstage for two minutes.
- Guilty! Hahahaha!

[ ] 26. You have lost count on how many times you've died.
- Just once. Last year.

[x] 27. You don't think twice about seeing guys in make-up or tights.
- Half the time, I think they know more about make-up than I do!

[x] 28. You're in public and look like you're talking to yourself because you are reciting your monologue.
- Ahehehe... I always talk to myself, anyway. But this is true as well.

[x] 29. You are a techie and want to strangle the actors because you have their lines memorized better than they do.
- Hell yeah!

[ ] 30. You think Shakespeare was a genius but dread putting on one of his plays.

[x] 31. You know what Hell Week is.
- In this biz, who doesn't?

[x] 32. If you put on a musical, you randomly sing all the songs at any time of day even if it is a musical you hate.
- I get LSS all the time.

[x] 33. Sleep? What is sleep?
- Never heard of it.

[ ] 34. Techies and actors don't understand each other, but they pretend that they do.
- It all depends, really.

[x] 35. You swear like a sailor.
- Ahem. Where did I learn this?

[x] 36. You've been dubbed a "Stage Nazi" or a "Tech God."
- Close enough. I've been dubbed the "ninja," courtesy of Chie.

[x] 37. There's more drama backstage than there is onstage.
- Yes, like Mahar had said, you can't get enough of it.

[x] 38. Actors and techies argue about who has more work.
- I haven't argued with anyone about this, but I remember a bunch who have.

[x] 39. You're on your deathbed and miss school, but you somehow manage to go to rehearsal.
- Guilty of this one too.

[x] 40. You quote lines from previous plays you've done when you have casual conversations with friends.
- Sometimes, we mix them up for fun. In </i>Virgin Labfest 3<i>, Ed did it a lot to annoy me.

[x] 41. You suddenly realize that your entire wardrobe is black.
- Hahaha, YES!

[ ] 42. Theater sex. Enough said.
- What the...?

[x] 43. You know what spiking is, and it's not what you do to hair.
- I'd be in big trouble with my teachers if I don't know what this is!

[x] 44. You've been working with the same people so long that you have blackmail to last a lifetime.
- Oh, so many to blog about (Paging Joseph people)... I'm notorious for keeping secrets that I can blackmail a lot of people.
 
[x]45. You've been injured so many times it's a miracle you're still alive.
- I've fallen down so many sets of stairs already. And my right foot has never been the same since my last accident.

[x] 46. Applause after a show is the best sound ever.

[x]47. You have a sigh of relief when you are doing a comedy and you hear the audience laughing.

[x] 48. You can't remember what a home cooked meal tastes like, but you can remember every single way Taco Bell makes a taco or burrito.
- Ever since we found the convenience of having a Tapa King, Mang Inasal and Jollibee, it's somehow like that. The cheaper the better, being the starving artists that we are. Biskwit at kape lang, masaya na ako!
 
[ ] 49. You know you're a theater guy when you can put on makeup better than half the girls in your school.
- This is one flaw... I still don't know how to put on makeup!

[x] 50. Modesty is long forgotten.
- "Pakapalan ng mukha" is the secret here!

[x] 51. You pride yourself in how fast you can strip your clothes off and change costumes. (Or help people strip!)
- Quick changes in Dreamgirls was good training, hehehe.

[x] 52. People who aren't in theater just aren't cool.
- Not really, though. They're not really uncool, because some of the time, we're not on the same wavelength, so it's hard to jive.

Total: 40/52

8 comments: