Thursday, December 4, 2008

Those were the good years.

Mimay had posted a note on Facebook, part of which had her reminiscing December of 2005. As our comments piled up, we started looking back at 2005 and even as far as 2004, back when we had met.

My goodness, another walk down memory lane. And it all began with a simple quip, ahaha. Mimay had said na ang sama ko pa raw back in 2004. Not that I was rude to them. I was always acting ever so formal as the play's stage manager and co-producer. I guess it was part of what I had called "professional detachment." They even called me "conyo" and probably even "burgis" because I almost always spoke to them in English. But it cannot be helped. Hahaha, I even had a trademark "Heya!" at the beginning of every text message I sent to them.

Eventually I had forgotten all that crap about detachment as the play had progressed. When the play closed, I realized that I had fallen in love with each of the cast. I had looked forward to every evening rehearsal and got so used to it that I had those withdrawal symptoms that I had expected. I got daily missed calls and "San kayo?" messages from Nicco. I started feeling at home in Drei and Miko's condo. Mimay still made an effort to visit us all the way from QC after disappearing for a while (typical Mims, hahaha). Nikki, Mish and I became inseparable (even now with Nix, and before Misch left for the US). Rain and I became more than just mere acquaintances, classmates and thesis mates. A re-staging was even produced and everyone was more than willing to help.

Restaging JATD at St. Cecilia's Hall, St. Scholastica.
Man, check out some of those costumes... fail!
Hahaha, but it's all part of the experience.


Hanging out in Drei and Miko's condo one evening.
Yes, Drei is wearing Mimay's headband.


Hogi: shet, nakakamiss yung mga araw na yun ah
Mimay: yeah
Mimay: ccp made everything happen for me
Mimay: i mean, had i not met arvin nong workshop, hindi ako makakajoseph
Mimay: hindi rin ako magnonoli
Mimay: hindi rin ako magwoworkshop ng tatlong taon
Hogi: hahaha
Hogi: buti na lang ccp ang pinuntahan mo
Mimay: parang si TIN
Hogi: dahil diyan, dun din ako nakapunta
Mimay: yeah, kasi gusto kong maexperience ung ccp e
Mimay: sinearch ko lang online, tas nakita ko tanghalang pilipino
Mimay: kakatuwa
Hogi: naks
Mimay: kakatuwa
Mimay: noh?
Hogi: oo, sobra
Mimay: kasi kung di ako pumunta ccp, di ko kayo makikilala
Hogi: korek
Mimay: di rin namin kayo makukwentuhan kung gano kasaya sa ccp
Mimay: hahahaha
Hogi: di nabuo ang thesis ko ng mga kengkoy na tao
Mimay: yeah

Had I not met some of the people in this crowd, I wouldn't have found out about Tanghalang Pilipino's workshops. That triggered another memory. In 2005, Mimay took another workshop in TP, and eventually got casted in Noli Me Tangere. (*insert stabbing guilt here because I never got to watch it*)

The following year, Nicco and I ended up taking TP's acting workshop with Mimay, Betty, Tin, and the rest. Nicco got accepted as a scholar for TP Actors Company. Betty and I had our crazy share of "Batman and Robin" stories. Sadly, it was the same year Tin lost her mom. Yet, more adventures began. My love affair for acting resumed.

Tanghalang Pilipino's Beginning Acting Class 2006.
Final scene of Act 2, Our Town by Thornton Wilder.


To quote Mimay, "the best years of my life." Couldn't have said it better myself. Grabe, Mimay, malayo ang post mo sa entry na ito, but napa-reminisce ako, hahaha. Senti mode.

I wonder how everyone else is. Ikaw, kamusta ka na?

2 comments:

  1. omigossshh. luhaaa. naiiyak akooo. marami kaming moments ni mimay na sinasabi namin na workshop sa TP ang pinaka masasayang years sa buhay namin:( actually, tayong tatlo, pati si ate betty ata haha. :( nakooooooo. Ang sarap balikan ng masasayang panahooon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw... Dun sa TP nagsimula ang history ng haliksusu, hahaha. At simula ng pag-facelift mo, HAHAHAHA. Ang sarap ngang balikan. =)

    ReplyDelete