Monday, June 15, 2009

"Sayang."

During my regular blog-hopping, I stumbled upon this entry from someone's blog that pondered on the phrase, "Sayang siya." We've heard these words several times already, and even uttered those words about someone, and sometimes, it's about us.

I can totally relate to this. I'm one of those "sayang siya" cases myself, having stopped school just because the opportunity of working in Atlantis was offered. Sayang daw because I should've been a college graduate first, and that I could've gotten a better, high-paying job soon after that. Most of the people who say I'm sayang are from my family, which is not really a surprise. One aunt even asked me, "Ano kaya kung mag-nursing ka na lang? Mas marami ka pang kikitain pag nurse ka." But did she even try to ask if I wanted to be a nurse? Pfft.

But I have to agree with Grace. To quote: "I hope that this phrase would be eradicated from the minds of people [I am trying to eradicate it from mine!]. For me, saying 'sayang siya' is a way of looking down on other people, only it is masked with a dash of sympathy. People are products of what and who they are, of their choices, and of their experiences, so we have no right to say this, either of other people or ourselves. And let us remember, and I do hope we realize this, that people might actually be where they should and want to be. No life is a waste."

Even though I'm back in school right now, where half the population is 10 years younger than I am, I still have no regrets about the past 5 years. I have learned a lot during those years, and most of those lessons are things that I don't get to learn in school. Heck, yung mga kahinaan ko sa school, and especially sa thesis, I learned in the office and in the theater. Konti lang ang matututunan mo sa stage management in school back then, and I was so grateful for the hands-on experience I got in TP. I learned how to be more persuasive, and how to talk to people in the workplace. I also learned how to find my way around the metro. Syempre hindi naman pwede na may kotse palagi or sasakay na lang lagi ng taxi. And sometimes I can't believe that I actually learned how to run the office on my own during those times that I have to be the only one in charge. I even learned how to finally wear my heart on my sleeve, and it happened during and after workshops. Plus I learned how to make certain decisions, plus a lot more lessons. And all those helped make me grow more as a person. So I don't believe na "sayang" ako in the long run.

23 comments:

  1. well nagsasayang din sila ng oras para maawa sa ibang tao. haha i was told, when i got into lit, sayang ako. then mas sayang naman daw now that i'm in theatre arts na.

    who knows, baka mas nasasayangan sila sa sarili nila for not going after the things they really want.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's possible nga. There are still a lot of people who pursue such things para lang sa ibang tao, most especially for their parents. I guess that's why hirap sila mag-decide.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A college degree is almost useless in the Philippines anyway.. Nasa abilidad nalang and how hard you're willing work..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hogi, Hinde "sayang" ang pag post mo ng blog mo na ito. it's my first time to read my contact's blog. Walang Sayang as long as you know how to handle the situation. God Bless you Hogi!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Grabe talaga, just a couple of weeks ago, my parents were forcing me to take up law... I took the test, pero di ko nakuha yung results dahil di ako nagpass ng baptismal certif... at di ko na talaga pinasa! Hahahaha! Soon after the test, I told my Dad na hindi ako yun... kaya yun, 1 week kaming di nagpansinan! ^^ Just do the things you love the most and you'll never be miserable in your life! ^^ No regrets! ^^

    ReplyDelete
  6. Korek ka diyan. At nabuhay ka, Moppet, hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hahaha! Talagang sinadya mo eh. Tama, no regrets! =) Musta na diyan, Teacher Remus? =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahaha.. buhay na buhay ako.. ehehe nag change ka na ba ng number girl? miss na kita hogi.. anyways, sabi ko nga Walang Sayang.. it's your life.. it's your choice.. it's your "War". what ever happen you did the right thing according to your plan or should i say "YOUR WAY?" as long as you know in your heart that your right and happy and then Go!!! and proved everyone that you didn't waste any sec. min. time, day of your life. and you will die a happy and full filled man. sorry hogi, kung medyo Ewan na mga sinasabi ko.. hay, nakaka relate lang me sa blog you. kung alam mo lang. ehehe ingats.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amen.:) Jer29:11 Miss you hogi! Hope all is well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nope, same number pa rin ako. Text kita, hehe.
    Naks, salamat sa pag-comment, Moppet. Di naman medyo ewan ang sinabi mo; gets ko naman siya, hahaha. =)

    ReplyDelete
  11. The verse is perfect, Ting! Miss you too! =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. i love what you just said. everything :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks, Maix. Hope you're doing better. =)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ito parami ng parami yung trabaho... CLE at English na ako ngayon. Aaargh. ^^

    ReplyDelete
  15. Naks, English teacher ka na rin pala, hehehe. Where ulit? Bloomfield ba?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good for you, Hoger. Here's to finding ourselves and other people accepting us for who we are. We're never 'sayang'. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks, Ikey. Here's to us indeed. I know I keep saying this, but man, I miss working with the 'fellas! =)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hogi!!!! Sorry di me naka panuod ng play.. uhm.. medyo busy lately. Friend talaga kita kasi gets mo ako.. hehehe.. someday i will post it why hinde natin daapt sayangin ang time at life. Alam ko hinde lahat maiintindihan ang gusto ko sabhin. pero masaya ako kasi your one of those who knows and understand my situtation. Thanks Hogi!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hahaha, meron pa rin this week, Tuesday til Sunday. Nag-shuffle lang ng sched ng plays. Check mo CCP website for complete sched. =)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hogi, sorry hinde kmi nakapanuod nagka trangkaso ako.. huhuhu.. pero wala akong It's 1 in one ha.. jowk. ingats!! text text tyo friend.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hahaha, at talagang dito ka pa rin sa post na ito nagme-message sakin eh. =)

    ReplyDelete