Friday, June 19, 2009

The quest for earring wire, and doing what you love.

I had to go to South Mall this afternoon to buy a Father's Day gift for my dad from Mom and me, and figured it's a perfect opportunity to check The Bead Shop. I was told that I could buy earring wire there if ever I don't want to trek all the way to Divisoria.

First stop was The Bead Shop kiosk. I asked the lone guy there if they really do sell earring wire, but unfortunately, they ran out of stocks that day, even though they really do sell them. Darn. So I headed for the department store for Dad's gift.

I was hunched over my phone for a few moments while walking when I heard somebody call my name. It was Jen, a friend I had met through DLSZ's production of Oliver when I was in 7th grade and she was in 6th. My goodness, it's been ages since I last saw her, and we managed to catch up on each others news in the middle of the department store. After quite a while of chit chat, we parted ways and I finally found Dad's gift.

I had sent text messages to a couple of friends asking if there was a Bead Shop in Festival Mall (the next nearest mall), and I was waiting for a reply so I decided to walk around South Mall for a while. I ended up in the back part of the mall, and I found this small store called Pink Box that sold accessories and personalized charms. Hmmm... I saw a display of earrings, so I decided to check it out. I asked them if they also sold earring wire, and yes, they do sell those! Yay! It was P10 for a pair, so I guess that was alright. They only had 2 pairs of the silver, so I got both plus some gold pairs. I took out my shrink plastic earring designs (2 kinds of Greek theater masks) and asked if the wire links would fit. Hahaha, the girl I talked to actually offered to assemble it with no extra charge, and even let me have a bunch of extra wire hoop links for free as well. I was so grateful that I bought a bunch of hairbands, hair-ties and clips from their store (well, I needed those anyway, hahaha).

My goodness, I really must buy more shrink plastic. I think those earrings and some pendants would make great gifts to give and sell. Hahaha, if it weren't for Reggie, I wouldn't have discovered this crazy addiction, hahahaha!

==================================================

Speaking of Reggie, I saw in her blog that she wrote an article for her US-based cousin's own blog about the successful woman. I totally love the article. Check it out through the link below.

How I Quit My Job to Follow My Dream, by Reg Silva.

It was another inspiring article, much like the "Sayang Siya" blog entry I posted about in my previous post. I also could relate to this one, even though the difference was that Reggie was a fresh college grad when she started to work for that big broadcasting network, while I had simply put school on hold to work for one of the country's leading theater companies. In the beginning, I was super excited when I first started working, because the company was doing a really popular Disney Broadway production. I learned the production side of the theater real fast, even though I first did some odd stuff here and there, plus answering these weird questions over the phone (such as "What show dates will [*insert celebrity here*] perform in?"). I was having a blast while I was getting to know all these, plus learning how to charm (Huwat? HAHAHAHA) marketing representatives so their company can be our sponsor, then being one of the first to check out all those sponsorships, hahaha. I also got to meet theater biggies (even though I sometimes just smile at them in the lobby as I hand them their complimentary tickets), both in the local scene and even abroad (I can't believe I got to sit in a car next to a Broadway Asia producer and a Phil-Am playwright). But of course, we were working 7 days a week, and we went home really late during show days, then report back to the office the following morning.


After 3 years worth of productions, everything just felt mechanical. I resigned from the company to be a full-time student again, and to finally finish my college degree. I agree with what Reggie said, "resigning felt like a breath of fresh air." People noticed that I seemed different after that. Happier (pareho rin tayo, Reg, hahaha), according to some. So I went back to school, and worked freelance backstage, which was what I loved the most, but never had enough time for before. OK, of course I still loved acting so I kept going to workshops, and even tried my hand at thesis productions, which I still participate in even until now. I found more room for my own creativity, though I don't think I'm not yet going to cut it like what Reggie did, hahaha. But I'll just keep doing what I love, and who knows where I'll find myself.


"I took a leap of faith," Reggie had said. Tama nga naman siya.

4 comments:

  1. Nope, it slipped my mind because I was so excited over the earring wire, hahaha. =P

    ReplyDelete
  2. may the bead shop rin sa bf (main branch ata nila)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really? Where there? Maybe I'll check it out. =)

    ReplyDelete