Tuesday, February 9, 2010

After Rent's first week.

I haven't blogged in a while. Rent's opening week took up most of my time last week, so I never found the time to just sit down and post an entry.

So yeah, 9 Works Theatrical's production of Rent opened last Friday, after a number of preview shows that began on Tuesday. I myself had never seen the performance prior to the previews, so I was in the dark as well. When I took my post at the front-of-house on the night of the first preview, I knew I wouldn't be able to watch the first act, as there were still so many unclaimed complimentary tickets. Teena and I ended up watching the end of the first act, then went back inside to catch the rest of the second act after a few bars of "Seasons of Love" began.

After this first week of shows, I've been hearing a lot of comments about the show, and I have to admit that I share the same sentiments. But of course, who are we to speak up, because as (I think I heard) Robbie had said, you really can't please everyone. Some think that it's awesome, some got a wee bit disappointed. So for this production, maybe I'll keep some thoughts to myself for now. Hey, it's only the first week anyway. Sino ba naman ako, diba? Like I sometimes say, I may be wrong.

Anyway, despite both good and bad comments, I'm pretty much enjoying myself as just one of the lowly ushers. I get to watch every show, and I can pick whatever scene I want to watch, hahaha. Of course, we really can't avoid those pasaway audience members, but every show has them anyway. And I love how I see friends from different circles at every show. Plus there's free ice cream and coffee (thanks to sponsors) in the lobby at almost every show, hehehe. Twice, I caught Manong sneaking out to the lobby for ice cream after his last scene in Act 1, and even Noel once during the same scene.

I'm making the most out of my rest days by staying at home, making the most out of sitting and lying down, because by Thursday, I'll be back on my feet again, hahaha.

Of course, I also make some time for myself, like going for the Cinemalaya auditions last Saturday morning. Went there with Lara, because I'm afraid that if I went by myself, I might back out again, hahaha. After 2 years of skipping the auditions, I tried it out again. Hahaha, Sir Dennis just had to be positioned in the middle of the whole row of directors. When my turn was over, after I got to talk to a couple of the directors, Sir Dennis mentioned in passing that he's letting me join his film. We'll see. Haha, I don't care if it's just part of the crowd, at least it's still a Cinemalaya film.

I also managed to make some time to attend the annual Pasinaya at CCP last Sunday morning. Made it in time to catch the Philippine Marines' drum and bugle corps again before the official opening. Went directly up to the Main Gallery for Word Jam and after a couple of performances, I got to watch Aba and her band, RockBato, perform one song. After that song, I silently waved my goodbye while they were still performing, and I rushed to the conference room to catch an excerpt of Doc Resureccion by some kids I knew from CSB.

Joms had arrived to join me, and we both got to see the Tinikling showdown at the CCP front lawn, modern dance performances by Lyceum's dance troupe, and another performance by Ballet Philippines before we had to leave for RCBC. By the way, was that Robbie Hayden, the choreographer we had for Zobel's school musical productions, with Lyceum? Haha, I remember when we both had to recall a specific dance step from a previous musical, because the same choreography sort of had to be done for another production.

Anyway, one more rest day to go. Gotta make the most of it. Maybe I'll pop in that DVD that's been waiting for me to be watched, along with a couple of others.

12 comments:

  1. hope to catch rent, missed the cinemalaya auditions and the marines in pasinaya... hehehe

    regards

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, sayang naman. Ran into Vinz nung Cinemalaya auditions. Miss na raw niya kayo.

    Hope to see you sa Rent! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol about cast members getting ice cream!
    can't wait to watch -- kaso lang tagal pa. tagal naman kasi ng show ni peachy hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wahahaha, bakit kasi sa last weekend kumuha ng show si Peachy eh. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. kaya nga eh!! peachy, hmph!!! hahaha, jk peachy! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Join the Lottery for the earlier shows, hahahaha! =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. There's a sort of raffle at the front-of-house table. You can tell them that you want to join the Lottery (limited seats in the orchestra). If you get lucky to have your name picked, you'll be able to watch the show for only P350 per ticket. =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hay Rent. Rent rent rent rent rent. We're not gonna pay rent. Napakanta na lang tuloy ako. Haha. Ktnxbai. O_o

    ReplyDelete