Sunday, July 4, 2010

Virgin Labfest 6: SET D - Pink Festival.

I only got to watch Labfest's Set D during its 2nd week, because I had Legally Blonde duties during its first weekend. I honestly didn't know what to expect, especially after talking to Nicco in the lobby a couple of hours (yes, I was that early) before the show.

I caught this set on the day of the TP Actors Company auditions, so I accompanied a couple of friends upstairs at the Silangan Hall as they were auditioning for it. By the time I returned downstairs, there was already a line outside Batute, anticipating open house. I got to sit next to Hendri at my favorite spot, finally, even though it meant sitting next to a girl manning a video camera for documentation purposes.

Miss Lallie's play, Huling Habilin ng Sirena, was directed by Victor this year. Nicco played the lead, Sarah Jane, a gay guy prepping up for an upcoming gay beauty pageant, until he was threatened to be thrown out of his land by his landlord, played by Abner. Sarah Jane's lover, Sid (played by Alex Dorola, who also wrote a play for this year's Labfest) then arrives and tells him to stay, even after a promise of leaving the place. Interesting ensemble of actors, really. Only one person was kinda off for me, and didn't have any chemistry with Nicco. I did hear, though, that they have alternates, so I regret watching at an earlier date to catch the alternate. Oh well.

The 2nd play, A Fistful of Sand, is composed of poetry and series of scenes about people working abroad in the KSA. I don't know if I'm just off, but it reminded me of experimental films because of its dreamlike treatment. I honestly didn't quite get much of it, even though the actors were all so fraught with all those emotions, so I'll give them that.

Carmi Martin
, written by J. Dennis Teodosio and directed by Paul Santiago, was my favorite for this set. A gay professor brings a call boy back to his apartment for some playtime. Ariel Diccion as Gabriel was super hilarious as he delivered punchline after punchline, and had a great tandem with PJ Paule as Adonis. Funny exchanges all throughout the play, and you'd never expect such an ending for this type of material. I have to say, I like PJ's performance in this play better than his performance in Set A's Balunbalunan, Bingibinighan. I love their comedic rapport the whole time that you can't wait for the next quip to come up.

I guess that's the fun risk of watching Labfest. You'll never really know what you're going to get, as you'll either love or hate some plays. All the while, it's great that new material always keeps coming every year.

No comments:

Post a Comment