Monday, January 9, 2012

Kicking an old childhood habit, and learning something new, among other things.

I used to bite my nails as a kid. Not just bite, mind you. Sometimes I pick the skin on sides of the nails. Disgusting habit, I know, but some people say that nail biting was a sign of low self-esteem. I don't know. Well, true, I was quite the wallflower back then, and I didn't have much confidence in myself except when I'm with my close friends.

In 4th grade, my mom attempted to put nail polish on my fingernails to prevent me from biting them. It worked, yes, but of course, as a kid, you can't always have nail polish on, especially in school. So off they went, and the habit was back.

High school was a different story. When nail polishes in wild and vibrant colors came out and half my classmates wore them to school (some even applied them during classes), I envied their pretty nails as I looked down at my stubby ones. So I grew them out, swore to stop picking at them, got a manicure and learned how to apply nail polish myself. It worked. I figured I also grew out of my nail-biting phase for good.

I thought wrong. Back in 2005, during my first office job, I found myself picking at my nails again while idly staring at the phone, waiting for it to ring. And I kept the habit again, except for special occasions when I needed to have my nails done.

Just today, I gave myself a little manicure. Ever since our company Christmas party (when my nails were painted blood red), I've been enjoying how my nails look like, as I haven't been picking at them since then. I guess I'm darn proud of myself. No, not about the manicure, but the fact that I haven't been biting or picking at my nails again for quite some time. Now I need to brush up on my nail polish painting skills again. I remember how I used to apply nail polish like a pro that I would change colors every week.

In other news, my cousin David dropped by the house for a visit this afternoon. He came home briefly from Qatar to spend the holidays with family. One significant thing I noticed about him (aside from the fact that he got fatter, hahaha), was a silver band on his ring finger. As it turned out, he and Nits got married last Tuesday. Just a civil wedding at the city hall, as the church wedding that they're planning will be for next year. When he had said that, my dad suddenly mentioned that he and my mom actually had a civil wedding themselves before their own church wedding. I never knew anything about that. Funny timing, as their 36th wedding anniversary will be tomorrow.

Oh well, you still learn new things everyday about the people you thought you knew.

Anyway.

I'm still dwelling on what Carmie had said when we had met up in Greenhills. The thought that I could be the floor director for her dad's show. Well, someone's already working as the show's FD, but I can't help but wish and hope that an offer would be open once I had fulfilled my commitments with TP. Oh please, oh please.

4 comments:

  1. goojab, you nail-bite-aholic, you! :D i look forward to seeing your world-class nails! haha!

    re: FD job... if it's meant to be, then it will be. :D kung biglang ma-vacant yung job by the time you're done with your TP commitments, well... hindi rin yata ganun kaganda yung balitang ganun. :D

    ayun. just sending some last-minute love before i'm off. hehe. cheers! seeya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha, world class nails talaga? Di naman.

    Hay, oo nga naman, if it's meant to be lang talaga. Still crossing my fingers na open siya after Eyeball's run... But guess who's ushering again for Charlie Brown? =P

    ReplyDelete
  3. ZOMG! YOU? Fo' Realz?!?! :D :D :D *excited*

    ReplyDelete