Thursday, January 26, 2012

On vocal rest.

After 2 weeks of not going to my morning part-time job to focus on our Eyeball set, I went back to work last Tuesday, only to find myself losing my voice by the hour as I barreled through my calls. I had a migraine last Saturday until Sunday, and also caught a cold and cough from someone (I think it was one of our actors) in the process. By the time my Tuesday morning shift had ended, I had a full-blown cough and only half of what remained of my voice.

I rested my voice by the time I got home in the afternoon (though I mingled a bit in the CCP Main Theater lobby before the first Mamma Mia! show began), and hoped that my voice would be better by the next morning.

Wednesday morning, I discovered that my voice was worse, so before even starting my shift, I headed to the clinic, and the doctor gave me a clinic pass and some prescription medicine, and ordered me to 3 days of strict vocal rest. My goodness, looks like I won't be earning any money this month.

The last time I was on vocal rest was last year, when I was juggling both my part-time job and 3 school events, plus an acting workshop in the evenings. I didn't really follow the 3-day vocal rest period, as I needed to speak up during the workshop class, plus I was the stage manager for an event that happened on the day I was sent home from work, so it took a long while to recover. This time I'm following the rule to a T. I was told by the doctor that the ideal time for vocal rest was for 7 days, but 3 days would be enough already.

It's only the second day today, and I'm already bored. I used my phone, notepads and gestures here at home (it's harder to communicate with my dog, though), and just a while ago, I got hungry and had a craving for McDonald's. Going outside the village would mean speaking to a tricycle driver and the cashier at McDo (though I once used my phone to tell them my order during last year's vocal rest). Thank goodness for online delivery.

I also had to decline an offer to watch Rivalry's press preview tonight. As much as I'd want to, once again, commuting would mean speaking, plus I know that when I'm with friends, I WILL end up speaking, even just for a bit. I'd rather not risk temptation.

By the way, I just had to add this. While I was in the CCP Main Theater lobby the other day, I ran into one of my former professors in lighting design. I came up to him and said hi. Thank goodness he somewhat remembered me, and he asked how I was, what I've been up to. Then he said that we should keep in touch in case he needed someone to work at his events as stage manager. Oh, thank you, Sir! And this was the guy who gave me one of my memorable OJTs in The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe, which was a pretty good experience and my first time ever to use a headset, as he wanted each of us to really learn the ropes.

So now that I'm done sending out a few emails, now what am I gonna do?

And you, dear reader of this blog, how are you? I'd like to hear from you, so please leave comments and make this temporarily mute girl happy.

4 comments:

  1. i have a similar problem, top range of my singing voice is shot. hang in there. I use a children's sketch toy to communicate whn I have to voice rest. i rested for 3 days in jan and it didnt work. took long time to get back speaking voice, singing voice still not fully back. i will see eent soon .Get well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Haha, I don't even sing. I was told by the doctor that the ideal period of vocal rest is actually 7 days, but 3 days would be alright if you really need to use your voice. Hopefully by tomorrow, some of my voice will be back. Thanks for dropping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. will drop by suddenly in your place (as if i knew where it was) and tickle you crazy til you scream. *evil* LOL!

    hang in there! drink lotsa fluids! hope you get well soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wahahaha! Thank goodness then na you don't know yet where I live. =P

    Thanks! Grabe, with all the water I'm taking, I can hear myself slosh when I need to go to the bathroom, hahahaha!

    ReplyDelete