Saturday, December 15, 2012

On my first medal exam.

I'm the most awkward person, even just while standing up. I may not have the poise that other ladies have. Heck, I'm also very accident-prone. And I have no prior training nor even knowledge in dance whatsoever before I took up ballroom dancing about 8 months ago.

So even with one summer recital and one little psuedo-performance under my belt, I was very nervous about my first medal exam for Bronze in Latin ballroom last Tuesday.

Alvin and I had been practicing together in the studio as much as we could the week before, and I knew what I needed to work more on, as long as I stick to it.

I left work an hour early on Tuesday morning, then met up with Rach (thanks for recommending her, JB!) at RCBC so we could go to Makati Cinema Square together. I was glad she was a very bubbly and chatty person, as I needed that to forget all my nerves while prepping up for the exam.

When we arrived at the studio, the others were already having their hair and makeup done in front of the big mirror. Rach and I settled on the other mirror on one side of the floor and got started on my makeup. I loved her stuff, and she did a really good job on my makeup. Even though I was a little antsy when she was doing her final touches, her bubbly demeanor did ease things up a bit, even though I was the very last one to be finished with makeup and last to get dressed (didn't do much to my hair except slick it back with lots of hairspray). I just had to laugh when I saw Alvin dressed in black pants and a red top, because it was obvious we didn't talk about coordinating our clothes before the exam, as I had brought a two-tone blue ensemble.



Why is it that I can't get the schedules right? I hear one thing, and it's actually another. Like for instance, I was told of the Latin and Standard class yesterday, at 5:30pm and 6:30pm respectively. And when I arrived at 6pm, it was the Standard that had the 5:30 class and the Latin came right after. Anyway, it happened that very Tuesday. I heard from Val the week before that the exam was at 1pm, call time at 10am. Call time was correct, but then while I was having my makeup done, I heard that the exam would start at around 11am. Huwat? Thank goodness I only told a handful of people, but of course that would still be a hassle. I immediately messaged Rosa about the time, and she managed to make it, even though she didn't get to see my own dance.

Anyway, moving on.

When everyone was ready, Val did a company call for all the examinees. As it turned out, examiner Paul Harris couldn't make it. In his place, Brando would be the one to grade us, which was good news, Val had said. Haha, we joked that it was sort of bad news, because he was already our teacher, and knew all of our weaknesses, so he knew what to watch out for in every one of us. After a little prayer, Alvin and I ran through our chachacha and rumba one last time before settling with the other examinees on stage right (of the dance floor, anyway) where the sequence was. I was the third to dance in Bronze Latin. Number 3, my favorite number, hahaha.

When the Bronze Latin began, I started pushing the walls to get rid of excess nervous energy, then closed my eyes when the 2nd examinee (was it Minnie? I forgot) started their rumba. When I was called out, I immediately put my "game face" on and projected my best smile as I walked out to the floor with Alvin. "Let's do this!" I remember shouting in my head.

When the music began, I remember that I wasn't thinking about the steps nor the technique anymore. Heck, I already knew this, so why the hell was I so nervous in the first place? I was just merely dancing my ass off. And I suddenly felt that the smile on my face was already genuine because I was having fun out there. This is my moment, I said. I'm not one to call attention to myself, but I was really enjoying my moments out there on the floor. From the energetic chachacha to the slow rumba, I gave it all I got.

With a "Do you want more?" smile on my face as I made my final bow, Alvin and I exited with poise. Once I was off the dance floor, even though my smile was real out there, it was actually pretty tiring. Hahaha. I hung out in the gallery area (the old balcony area when the venue was still a cinema) with the other examinees who were already finished, and watched the rest of the exams.

Rosa arrived when the scholars were done with their own exams, and it was just the Bronze Bar (for Mitzi) and Silver (for Val) left. Talked the dances out for her to orient her on what dance it was and what was going on.

After everyone was done, it was time for photos. Group photos, then photos for each examinee and their partner, then more group photos (as Miss Luz wasn't around for the first round of group photos).








Congratulations galore from the teachers, and when Brando approached me, he said that I did a strong performance. That comment made my day.

After Le Bran class on Wednesday morning, as Minnie, Mitzi and I were there, we were each given 5 minutes with Brando to discuss our exam results. During my turn, he first congratulated me for my performance. He said that I knew how to present myself from the very beginning, as I kept my performance level up from when I first walked into the dance floor right on until after I had walked out. Then he mentioned that I have strong knees, and I must really look at it as a strength rather than a weakness (as I sometimes fail to lock my knees). I got a grade of Very Good, which is pretty suitable because I still have so much on regarding my footwork on the chachacha. The rumba was a different story. I got a grade of Honors/Honorable Mention, which was the 2nd highest grade (which was Distinction), and I was mighty proud of that. My only note was that I have to focus on my balance. Overall, I was darn proud of myself. I didn't get a grade of Distinction, but at least I knew I did my best and I did pretty well for my first medal exam.

I'm going to keep this up until I reach the Gold level. Let's do this!

No comments:

Post a Comment