Saturday, December 8, 2012

An exam.

I've been coming in to the studio every day this past week. It's been about 5 months since I last danced at least an hour a day. And for this week, I've been doing it for 2 hours daily.

Thursday of last week, Brando made an announcement in class that there will be an exam for us. An examiner from the UK will be coming in to watch us dance and grade us for our respective levels. At first, I thought they were going to delay my own exam for next month, but Brando would have to check first if I'm already ready to take it.

So I came in the following day, as our pre-assigned partners were all coming to the studio. My partner was Alvin, who I remembered competed with Myrone in the individual male Latin category in last month's PDTA syllabus competition. I still needed a lot of work on my technique, and Alvin focused on my weaknesses with Brando checking up on all of us. When the practice session was over, Brando finally said that I can take the Bronze exam along with the rest of the girls in the class. Being the only Filipina in the class (most of them are Korean ladies, and then there's one Japanese lady), it was easy for the teacher to give me notes on the spot, pinpointing all my mistakes, while he had to wait for the others to listen to him as a group so they could also get their own notes. Because I was easily singled out all the time, I still felt like a novice in class.

So because I needed so much work, I decided to come to the studio every day, even for Le Bran. I can work a little on my technique during dance fitness, then polish wherever needed during the Bronze Bar class or during practice sessions with Alvin. There are times when I get so frustrated because I still don't have the consistency in my footwork, and I even felt kind of sorry for Alvin for getting stuck with me as his partner. But props to him for being so patient with me.

When I had rehearsed after Le Bran yesterday, we (one of the other Korean ladies also came in to practice with her own partner), I was finally told to actually perform, as I always had a look of concentration because I was thinking of the technique, so I tend to forget to smile. I needed to commit more on my performance, forget about trying to do the right technique, and just let go.

Most of us came to the studio today (Saturday) to rehearse the sequence of the exam program, as the emcee would be there to rehearse as well. I was kind of overwhelmed because the other scholars were there too, but I guess I was glad that I won't be the only one taking the Latin Bronze exam. Imagine what it would feel like if I was in Mitzi's place, who was the lone entry in Bronze Bar.

Anyway, I finally got the feel of the actual floor that we would be dancing on, and we rehearsed our entrances and exits. I have to admit, I felt kind of confident when I made my entrance earlier, but I sure hope I can do it as well on Tuesday. So many emotions are battling it out inside me now that the big day is nearing. Excited, nervous, anxious, scared even.

But I can do this. I know I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment