Monday, December 24, 2012

On the standard discipline, and social dancing at a party.

A couple of weeks ago, Val encouraged me to attend Belinda's standard class, saying that it's better that I'm exposed to both Latin American and standard ballroom disciplines, while I'm still in the Bronze level. It was scheduled every Friday evening, both the Bronze Latin and the Bronze standard.

I checked it out a couple of Fridays ago. Because I was somewhat confused with the schedule, plus I had encountered a teeny bit of a traffic jam, I arrived at Makati Cinema Square at 6pm, half an hour after the class had started. I had also thought that the Bronze Latin was the first class, because that's what I heard from Val, but when I got to the downstairs studio, they were already halfway through the Bronze standard class. I immediately tried to catch up with the middle-aged ladies as we learned the first 4 figures in the syllabus.

Maui had told me in passing that I should also get standard ballroom shoes made. I just smiled and chuckled in reply. I don't think I can afford to have another pair of shoes made just yet.

After that hour was done, I joined them upstairs in a much smaller studio for the Bronze Latin class. Ended up dancing with the students, and then I stuck around a little bit longer and watched Belinda, Maui, Brando, Val, Joemari and Kimmy rehearse for a show.

I decided to attend the class again this past Friday. Because I kept mixing the schedules up, I arrived at the studio 15 minutes before the class began. This time the Latin class was up for the first hour, so I ended up sitting in and dancing with the 3 other students.

While we were dancing the chachacha with Maui as my partner, he told me about the syllabus competition in February, which Joemari had also mentioned the day before. He encouraged me to join, and I said that I'm not sure yet if I can, and if I'm even confident enough to do so.

I realized that it's really tricky to immediately shift from Latin American ballroom to standard. In Latin, we were required to turn out our feet. But in the standard discipline, the feet has to be parallel. Just when I'm getting used to turning out my feet, this comes in, hahaha.

Anyway, we then reviewed the 4 figures that we had learned from last week, then Belinda added 4 more figures. It took me a while to remember them, but amazingly enough, I actually got the hang of it.

After the class, my feet kind of hurt, and it was probably because I was wearing the wrong kind of shoes for the dance. This time, it was Belinda's turn to tell me to get standard ballroom shoes as well, saying maganda ang sayaw ko. I was pretty flattered by that, but of course, I still can't afford the new shoes. My measurements, though, are already with Ate Paula, plus the design that I had in mind, so if ever I can have it made, I can just text her to give the go signal to have it made.

Val then came up to me and gave me a couple of notes on my chachacha, because I seem to have some trouble recovering from the New York. She corrected my technique my telling me to keep the inner part of my feet, including the heels, down. She said that she wanted to correct me right away because my other moves were already kind of good. Really? My, how flattering. I'm loving all these compliments.

As if that wasn't enough, while I was watching Brando choreograph a group of middle-aged ladies a dance for their Christmas party, Myrone had mentioned na mas gagaling ako sa standard, kasi bagay yung structure ng katawan ko dun, plus madali raw ako dalhin. Apparently there are some ladies who, even with their thin figures, feel heavy when dancing.

So maybe I'm beginning to enjoy the waltz, but that's only one dance in the standard discipline. There's 3 more. Can I absorb all of them while still studying Latin American ballroom?

I also attended the Christmas party at the studio last Saturday night. I was feeling kind of festive, so I ended up wearing that red-and-white dress that Rosa gave me. Upon arriving at the venue, the scholars greeted me at the door, and I haven't sat on my chair for a few minutes when the guys were already getting us (my Korean classmates were already there) to dance. I willingly went along, considering this is also good practice for class. The catch was I didn't even bother to bring my dancing shoes. Thank goodness I wore my wedges instead of my regular heeled shoes, so I was still kind of comfortable when I danced with each of the guys. It was pretty fun, just dancing with these people. So this was social dancing, ahahaha.

Brando asked if I can do some voice-over duties for the dance show's curtain call, and I obliged. The program started, and I was just in awe with most of the performances. Val once mentioned a few days ago that hopefully I could join them for one occasion in the future. Why not? Hahaha.

More dancing (and even camwhoring) ensued after the show, and I was back on the dance floor. These guys never stop, but I was having fun anyway.

Only a few hours before Christmas day. Hope you guys are having a very Merry Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment