Monday, September 8, 2008

Another weekend. A couple of plays.

Kapeng Malamig was supposed to have a show last Saturday, but a week before then, we were told of a conflict in the venue due to an event in the school, so our September 6th show got cancelled. There were supposed rehearsals in the morning, but not all of us were needed. So Lara got me to go with her to a VTR in Cubao that afternoon.

When it comes to planning things, I've been used to keeping what was agreed upon unless someone confirms otherwise. Once the date is set, game na, unless you'd inform me if things will fall through. Apparently, Lara was used to having people confirm with her on the date itself if things are still pushing through. So by the time I had sent her a text message that I had arrived an hour early at our meeting place, she had assumed that I wasn't going because I hadn't confirmed that morning. At the same time I had sent the message, I received a messaged from her saying that she wasn't feeling up to going anymore. Hahaha, another problem was that it was raining in her area, and most of her messages were lagging. Once she got my message, she left her house in her signature dash.

By the time we managed to find the building where the VTR was at, we arrived there almost at the same time as this guy, Patton, who was also there for the VTR. Ended up hanging out with him in Gateway while Lara and I killed time as we waited for Joan to arrive. Us three girls were planning on watching The Golden Child (Filipino version) in CCP, while Patton was planning to watch The Silent Soprano in AFP. As we talked, it amused us how small the world keeps getting. Patton talked about how he was just breaking into the indie film biz. Lara ranted about how her recent stint in mainstream went. I just listened and put in my own two cents.

When Patton had left, Lara and I moved to Coffee Bean while we waited for Joan. Off to the MRT when she arrived. My goodness, the anaconda of a line at the MRT was crazier than rush hour, because of the ongoing UAAP games in Araneta. For quite a long time, they even stopped entrance of people going south, until one irate guy behind me started complaining and ranting at the guard loudly, specially because a whole lot of people simply said that they were going north just so they can get on to the southbound platform ahead of the rest of us. So on a whim, Lara, Joan and I decided to take the northbound train instead and then go back. Haha, by the time we had reached the platform, they resumed entry to southbound passengers, so we went back to the other side. Made it to CCP with at least 5 minutes to spare, hahaha.

Per usual, The Golden Child was spectacular. English or Filipino, it's still a great show. One thing, though, was sometimes Art Acuna sometimes spoke in a rush that he buckled over words. Other than that, I still have to say that the play is still outstanding. The set seemed to have simplicity but was well executed, and of course, its cast was very powerful. There were so many lines that struck me, specially that part about adapting to change (which Martha had also posted in one of her blog entries). And the simple wit just cracks me up. Bow ako sa inyo.

Yesterday (Sunday), I decided on a whim to watch Theater Down South's production of Rapunzel. Lara (which I shall call Mae for this part of this entry) and her friend Lara with son Gino also came to watch. Before I start talking about the play, I'd like to give my usual disclaimer that all that I put down is my own honest opinion. I'm not some critic writing for some high-brow publication anyway. To each his own, remember? Ria, here's what you asked for yesterday that I couldn't seem to voice out yet.

P350 for an hour-long musical was a bit steep. But considering the market is the people in Alabang who can afford it, I guess it's alright... for them. Community theater kayo, right? Do you give discounts for students and such? Because the theater was mostly populated by kids. OK, so this is a musical written by the creators of the popular sitcom Friends. So they put in that sort of humor in a children's play. But damn, that burned a hole in my wallet. Among a cast of 7, not a lot stood out. The witch looked menacing, yes, but in her efforts to be menacing as she spoke with that accent, I can barely understand half of what she's saying. Her witchiness was pretty much like a caricature, but hey, at least it entertained the kids. More caricature-ish acting from Rapunzel herself, plus the prince and his steward. Rapunzel and Prince Brian also spoke a little too fast, but at least the steward made up for it (sometimes, as his voice sometimes faded out, showing how dependent the cast was of the lapel microphones). Only a few voices stood out--The Prince and the 3 ensemble. Also, is the character of the Prince supposed to be this sort of papa's boy or mama's boy, seeming helpless all the time that the steward always has to dig him out of his own stuff? I've also noticed that there were a lot of funny lines that were sort of put to waste, as it wasn't delivered all that well. Wait, that sounded pretty bad. To rephrase, ang daming funny lines na nasayang dahil tinatapon lang na parang wala yung delivery niya. Parang mali ang timing, I guess. Then there's that scene in the palace where the four (Rapunzel, Prince Brian, Witch and King) sing this song about growing up. Do the two guards in the background have to dance like that? No offense, but dancing with your mouth open like that was a tad much of playing it off for laughs, much like some of the stuff in this entire play.

I guess that's it. Time to hide before people start pelting me with anything they get their hands on.

21 comments:

  1. tara, ruamket din tayo sa mga Alabang people :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. what does CCP have to offer after Golden Child? Nag restage nga ba ng Mulan?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe TP's doing Mga Gerilya sa Powell Street next, in November. Mulan's restaging will be on the 11th and 12th, pero I don't know the sched talaga.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I pelt you with wide-mouthed smiles :D Na-miss ka ni Micko. Na-senti yata sa pagka-pickpocket.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahaha, you know I still hate and love you. =P Haha, na-miss niya ako? Pickpocketting talaga ang senti moments eh, hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. same cast ba ang Mulan? wala naman kasi announcement.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Hogi. Actually, I do agree with you regarding the witch, , although I cannot make that a public reply as to my loyalty has to belong to the company.

    Yes, it's 350 only because we have to cost it accordingly. Rent in Insular Theater isn't cheap. We don't have patrons or a sophisticated marketing arm. We will eventually have discounts for students when we can afford to give them and when we have sponsors (if you look at our programme you will see just how sparse our sponsorships are) who will help us foot the bill. You know how these things work. But to earn that, a reputation must be established and people should know that we are actually there to stay.

    Thanks for the comments!

    ReplyDelete
  8. There are a few new additions to the cast to replace some of them, and the rest will be reprising their roles. I guess pre-sold na special shows sila, kaya walang announcement, I'm not sure.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nagulat naman ako when I saw my name. I was like, "Huh? I wasn't with you!" Sorry, slow.

    Let me know if someone pelts you. Sisipain ko. Muaha.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wahahaha, syempre ang name ang unang binasa, hindi yung context.

    Naks, yan ang gusto ko sa iyo eh.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i pelt thee as well...with substance...mwahahahaha!!!

    may opening pa tayo sa 20?

    thanks for coming...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hahahahaha! Congrats, Niki!

    20th? Opening ng Kapeng Malamig! =)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Haha, good luck! Inaabangan na namin ang set mo! =)

    ReplyDelete
  14. http://jameelalopez.multiply.com/journal/item/66


    I just read this article... and you are the first person I remembered.

    ReplyDelete
  15. kinikilabutan ako, hogs... pag nakita ko ba sila, is it okay to poke their eyes so that i will feel better? ;D

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hahaha, if it makes you feel better naman, hahaha! =P

    ReplyDelete
  17. yep. :P don't worry i will wear gloves all the time. lol

    ReplyDelete