Thursday, May 31, 2007

Putting It Together (again?)

A few weeks ago, I found out that Marielle, a friend of mine from high school, was taking the Adults Musical Theater class in Trumpets Playshop. I was actually surprised, because I knew that only her younger sister Eleanor was the one who's into performing, being a cheerleader and also a member of Blue Rep. The Yelle I knew from my clique was the tall and quiet artist who was in the varsity track and field team with me.

Hahaha, so when I found out that Yelle's showcase was drawing near, it was funny to say "Break a leg." Coming from a fellow track member, it sounded weird if we had said that to each other then. And it sounded just plain funny now.

So anyway, I decided to check out her class' showcase at the AFP Theater this evening. After dropping something off at Miss Bernice's place (thanks for the directions, Nicco and Teena!), I headed for AFP.

This is my first time in 3 years to come back to Playshop to watch a musical theater showcase. And it was my first time in 4 years to really mingle with the crowd. But in truth, I couldn't really mingle by the time I got to the theater lobby. Because I don't know anyone anymore! I tried to search for a familiar face in the crowd, but I couldn't find anyone. Well, I did find Kiwi and Junevee, but that was different. Oh well, Kiwi was OK to talk to, but after a little small talk, there was nothing else to say.

When I went to the box office to buy a ticket to the showcase, I checked out the schedule posted next to the window to see the title of the show. Yelle didn't mention any title, and when I had asked what the show was about, she just said, "A lot of original stuff. Spoofs and spoofs. Plus a production number." Anyway, so there I was at the box office, and when I saw the schedule, the title of class' show was... Putting It Together! That was the exact same title of the showcase of Playshop Alabang's very first Musical Theater class. Ahehehe, of course, I was mighty proud to be in that class. Huwaw, upon finding that out, I couldn't wait to see the show.

While I was already in line waiting for the house to open, I saw a familiar face standing by the lobby doors. Not a familiar face that I knew personally though. Holy kamote, it was Danny Javier of the APO Hiking Society. Suddenly all the songs from Blue Jeans the Musical started playing in my head, hahaha. I wanted to approach him, introduce myself and tell him about our workshop recital, but I was too shy to move. Rawr. And by the time I was already inside the theater, he was sitting nearby, along with Buboy Garovillo. Huwaw. Kulang na lang si Sir Jim Paredes, hahaha.

On with the show. When the cast began singing the title song, "Putting It Together," I found myself mouthing the lyrics along with them. Aw, memories. Their play was mostly about the lighter side of things, funny situations in a coffee shop, a call center, between policemen and women, and inside an airplane. They were funny, as Yelle had said. It can't be avoided, but only a number of people stood out. Yet all of them played their parts. I was already at the edge of my seat laughing when Yelle (as a call center agent who lived on coffee) took off those huge sunglasses to show those ginormous eyebags, hahahahaha! Complete with a song number! Woohoo! Congrats, Marielle! Darn proud of you! Next year ba ulit? Hahaha!

After the show, after congratulating Yelle, I immediately left the house. As soon as I got to the lobby, I found Bernice and Dang standing there. Oh my, it was great to see friends from high school that I haven't seen in ages. I had forgotten that those two took Fine Arts in UP along with Yelle, and now they're working together as well. We got to talk while just standing there, and I think I surprised them with the way I was acting and talking, which was so unlike the quiet Christine (oops, hahaha) that they knew back in grade school and high school.

Oh well.

I decided to take the MRT to Ayala, so I can take the shuttle at the Landmark terminal. When I got to the terminal, my eyes bugged out when I saw the uber-long line at the route that I usually take. When I went to the table where I had to pay the fare, I was surprised to find Ate Shang. Hahaha, so we decided to take another shuttle that didn't have a line, which went a similar way to our village. Man, I missed talking to her. So we talked up a storm the whole way home, and decided to get off outside our village to grab a bite at Figaro and talk some more. Hehehe, she's still trying to get me to work at her advertising firm. My oh my, I don't think that's my calling. I have other plans in mind, as some of you might know, ahehehe.

At Figaro:
Ate Shang: Available pa yung mga pasta ninyo?
Counter girl: Yes, ma'am.
Ate Shang: OK, sige. I'll have... the chicken caesar sandwich!

No comments:

Post a Comment