Thursday, May 17, 2007

renaming childhood games?

I just had to post this. I was commuting home this evening from Ayn's house (because of rehearsal for Mimay's play), and when I hopped on an FX halfway home, the radio was tuned into 89.9 (I think). I ended up listening to the DJ and 2 other guys, talking about Filipino games.

I don't know if he was for real, but one of the guys claimed that he grew up in Canada and had no idea how those games are played, or even what they were called. I was about to take a power nap when I heard him mention this "game with slippers," and he called it "tapon tsinelas". Holy kamote, it sounded so funny with his accent. And he thought that it was just a game similar to tag, with slippers. Obviously, the game was tumbang preso, and the DJ had to explain that it's played not only with slippers, but also with a can. The next game he mentioned was "petiks" (HAHAHAHAHA!), and asked about how that game of cards was played. Dude, ano ba yan. "Teks" ang tawag dun, diba? Then there was this game he swore they played in PE, but he called it "man hunt." Then he tried to translate it to "hanap lalaki" (or something like that. I forgot). Holy kamote, that guy kept me awake during the ride. My golly, it turned out to be patintero. I only got to listen until after that, when the guy mentioned "pogs", which was obviously "Pog," because the driver changed the radio station. Good for him. Hahahaha.

Santa banana, what a useless post at this hour.

8 comments:

  1. i think this is not a useless post, hogz. it made me awake and want to hunt that effin' "Canada Boy"... Bwahahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha, Pog. I still don't get that game. Parang wala lang, slam lang ng slam, then tapos na. Hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha, annoying, diba? Holy kamote, when I first heard "tapon tsinelas", I almost lost it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. let's play "tapon him"!!! the first to make tapon that stupid guy to ilog pasig will be the next president of the philippines...

    ReplyDelete
  5. ay gusto ko kaya nung pog!!!! hahahaha..

    ReplyDelete
  6. I collect pog when I was a kid! wahahaha. ate hogs ano ba. makukuha mo ung mababaliktad na pog. ung ung price mo tpos dadami na ung pog mo! wooh. (bata pa lng, gambling na, hahaha)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hahaha, hindeeeee... Alam ko yung game, pero hello lang kasi siya. Slam lang ng slam, collect lang ng collect. Di ako nasiyahan dun eh, hehe. =P

    ReplyDelete