Sunday, July 27, 2008

Briefly looking back with Rosa... segue to a meme snagged from Martha and Olive.

After yesterday's rehearsal, I met up with Rosa at Glorietta before we had to go to Assumption to watch Romeo and Juliet. Found her with her officemate Ate Ng at Bo's Coffee, where Rosa gave up on her drink and less-sinful cheesecake for me to eat.

It was my first time to meet her Ate Ng, and after Rosa had said that we've been best friends (along with Iam) since 5th grade, Ate Ng then asked if I had been interested in theater since time began, upon noticing that all 3 of us have pretty different interests.

Haha, Rosa and I then recalled that before we had met each other, it was she who was interested in the performing arts. She was in the dramatics club for 2 years, while I took up Girl Scouting and was in the library club. She was actually the one who had talked me into trying out for my first school production in 7th grade by means of (literally) dragging me all the way to the music room for the auditions. After we had both passed the audition, during one of our first meetings, Rosa had slipped out of the music room (with Iam in tow) most probably because we had learned about Sir Tony (Espejo), our director. I stayed, and that's how I fell in love with theater.

How amusing it is to look back.

Which segues to this meme I found in Olive and Martha's blogs. Olive did it as an unbirthday activity and Martha followed suit for her own reasons. I remember doing this twice already, as I had grabbed it off Reggie's blog some years ago. But it would be nice to do it again. Maybe it would shed some light into things I always put off thinking about.

Fifteen years ago I...
was in 5th grade, and randomly had lunch with different friends in my class. After a time, I hung out regularly with a girl named Miriam, and when another girl asked if she could join us because she couldn't find her other friends, all 3 of us instantly bonded. We became best friends ever since, no matter how different we were from each other. Our crazy quirks, simple eccentricities and library trips brought us together. Hahaha, we even had our own spot on the floor in the library, where the Nancy Drew and Bobbsey Twins books can be found.

Ten years ago I...
was a high school junior and was in the school's track and field varsity team for the second year in a row. I had always been a typical class wallflower, having some frustrating experiences with my classmates the year before. I was sort of afraid to bond with the people, but because this year had different people in our class, I suddenly felt at ease. I spent more time hanging out with my track friends, including this group of senior guys. I hung out with them every day after track practice and always went home way past curfew. Plus for the first time, I felt rejected when I didn't get to be part of the school's musical production.

Five years ago I...
wrapped up an OJT for Atlantis' Dreamgirls. Broke up with my (then) boyfriend of 4 years, and poured out my frustrations with a colleague in the production. I didn't realize it then, but it was my final summer with Trumpets Playshop. I also branched out from my eccentric Broadway taste in music and explored the world of acoustic. Hahaha, by then, I had become a groupie and made new friends through a forum some of us had created for a popular acoustic band when they were at the peak of their career. I learned a lot about the music business through my friend's dad, who was the producer of the group's album. But the mere mistake of even trying to get involved with someone in the group had created quite a stir, and I was advised to "stay away," which I eventually did after getting harassed several times. I learned to move on and find peace of mind, and by doing so, I returned to my theater roots by bagging a couple of jobs. First was as stage manager of the Akafellas' concert, and then as stage crew for Atlantis' Urinetown.

Two years ago I...
joined my first workshop under Tanghalang Pilipino, under the influence of my baby bro, Nicco. Hahaha, after several talks (even the night before the workshop's first day), we signed up for Beginning Acting under Ms Tess Jamias and Ian at the last minute. Mimay ended up joining us as well. Weekly night outs at someone's place na walang tulugan were our ideal methods of bonding. I ended up sharing the stage with Mimay and Nicco, two of my closest friends in our particular circle, our crazy moments captured on every photo and a DVD. I also learned how to wear my heart on my sleeve this year. I realized that being plastic even to yourself can be pretty hard to deal with.

One year ago I...
returned to Musical Theater through my 2nd workshop with TP. I was also a virgin to Writers Bloc's Virgin Labfest (like Olive), but as an assistant stage manager, thanks to Minette's referral. She was the one who noticed that I was much happier being with TP. Also bagged a job at the season's first play, Pilipinas Circa 1907, where I didn't realize that I was becoming closer to one person in particular as I casually dropped by every dressing room backstage. After a brief relationship the year before, it was thanks to Tad that I had learned that it was alright to love again.

Yesterday I...
went to watch METTA's Romeo and Juliet with Rosa after Tartuffe rehearsals. It was also in celebration of 10 months with Tad, and I gave him a bonnet that I had crocheted (which I also want for myself, hahaha!)

Today I...
spent the day vegging out after hearing mass in the morning.

Tomorrow I...
have rehearsals again for Tartuffe, and I haven't memorized my long lines in the 4th act, ahahaha.

Next week I...
have no plans yet whatsoever, aside from school and rehearsals. Still hoping that Jill and I can get together sometime next week, hehe.

Next year I...
will be finally be finished with my degree. I hope to be more focused in my chosen path, and I don't think I'll be coming back to where I had started when I had put off school before. I'm seriously thinking about ballroom dancing next year.

6 comments:

  1. If your schedule wasn't so insane you could join us on Saturday, meow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, it's not that insane! Saturday lang yun eh. =P

    ReplyDelete
  3. ballroom dancing is good... how about dance sport? he he

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha, marunong ka? Paturo, hehe. =P

    ReplyDelete
  5. wala bang pictures diyan? gusto ko makita kulot ni Rosa. :p

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ay, wala akong pics. Yung alam ko lang na pic is yung nasa blog niya eh. =P

    ReplyDelete