Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Watching Cinderella's first matinee.

Got to watch Cinderella this afternoon with the Atlantis staff (an "unofficial" matinee before this evening's opening show?). By the time I arrived at the office for lunch, Lawyn immediately asked if Tad was doing anything that afternoon, because we suddenly had an extra ticket. Rang Tad, but as it turned out, he couldn't skip their 3pm acting class. Darn it. But because Riki was getting out of class early due to the fact that he's sick, we both agreed that he take Tad's place so he can kill time before he can drive home.

Hahaha, picked up some interesting news from Mae while I was hanging around in the office before we had to go to CCP. Anyway, Lawyn, Mae and I went ahead to the theater with Claire a little earlier because Claire had to be there an hour before the show started. Ate Sally and Ate Janine stayed behind as they were waiting for Ate Sally's cousin and nieces.

Because Riki still had to show up in class, I met up with him in the lobby before the house opened to hand him his ticket, then he could just catch up once he got out of the conference room.

Each of our seats were in different but consecutive rows, but I ended up sitting on the other end of my row, while Ate Sal and the rest were on the other end. Hahaha, to my surprise, Mrs Garcia and Deedee, along with two other ladies suddenly appear and sit right in front of me. I haven't seen both mother and daughter in ages, and it was actually great to see them again, specially with Mrs. Garcia looking pretty well.

On with the show. Once the curtain rose, I was awestruck by the set designs. But I couldn't help but suddenly laugh out loud when I saw the town square in the opening number. There was this huge fountain right in the middle, so it looked like the opening of Beauty and the Beast, hahahaha! Those stepsisters were a funny tandem. That creaking knee was hilarious! And those rat siblings were so adorable. The ensemble was such a treat to watch, from their colorful costumes and of course, their tremendous presence. I wonder how much of today's Filipino performers can match that. Loy and Sheila Martinez, who were part of the cast, did so. Of course, no surprise about Lea. Her voice was crisp and clear and made it as effortless as mere breathing.

The special effects were pretty seamless if you don't think much about it like I did (like I always do, HAHAHA). The Fairy Godmother's teleportation from outside the door and into the house amused me for a while, then I suddenly started figuring out how everything would be transformed. How will that huge pumpkin on the table turn into a glorious carriage? Ah, the secret of the scrim. Once I got distracted by the tranformation of the two rats, everything else was already happening. The carriage was suddenly in the middle of the stage, and out comes Lea in a sparkling gown (haha, of course, this stage secret of dressing was my favorite). Huge applause from the crowd. Hahaha, Lea's expression as the carriage began to move was so cute! It looked as if it really was Cinderella's first time to ride in a carriage.

Riki didn't get to go in until after intermission (20-minute intermission!) but I filled him in on what he had missed in the 1st act. On with the ball. Hahaha, the prince (I forgot his name, as I was only looking over people's shoulders into their souvenir programs, ahehe) was pretty tall for Lea, but okay, he has the aura of the prince down pat. Plus he's cute, ahehe. Even though I couldn't hear some words, I still am a sucker for that certain "Prince Charming singing voice." And there we go with the transformation again, from the gown to rags, hahaha! The magic of the pillars!

I really can't help but be amused with all the designs and special effects all throughout the show.

Hahaha, after the show, I almost immediately ran into Bobby and Chari at the doors. Congratulated and thanked them, and nodded to Bobby smiling like a kid who enjoyed a good cartoon movie. Congratulations to Lea and everyone involved in the production!

Didn't really stick around long after the show, as Tad was already waiting for me at the entrance for an early evening out. Darn, didn't manage to get a souvenir program. Maybe one of these days, I can just drop by CCP and buy one from Kiwi at the lobby.

28 comments:

  1. Awwww! Wish I could have watched, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go watch! Your daughter will love it! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wasn't too impressed with Peter Saide. He is nice eye candy though. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. There! That's his name, thanks! Hahaha! Half the time, he's OK, but sometimes his voice can be pretty soft even with the lapel on. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked his "Lonelines of Evening". Kakatuwa yung finale -- I thought he kinda looked like a wedding cake topper at the top of the stairs. =)

    They did appear to have some problems with the mics -- even Lea's was fading in and out at various parts of the show.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahaha, that's exactly what I thought!

    By the way, I can tell you the secret of the costume changes if you want. =) Though part of it is written in the blog na. =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Na-excite ako. We're watching on August 24 pa. Do you happen to know if it's Lea performing at 8 PM? The main reason we're watching that time is for her, hehehe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hahaha, typical Pinoy question. Basically, what you said was the main reason I never watched Miss Saigon, and why I really had no plans to watch Cinderella.

    Yep, Lea will be doing all performances, unless she gets sick and loses her voice. =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Peter Saide tends to sing-song. It's not the kind of sing-song you'd expect...it's his own way of sing-song.

    BUT. He is cute. Cutecutecutecute. I want to take him home.

    (I got to watch for free rin, haha!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. you're such a spoiler. hahaha. i was soooo careful of not describing anything in detail :)) hahaha

    anyway the stairs were VERY steep! hahaha scary.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would have killed for that. O_O

    ReplyDelete
  12. Join the cinderella blog contest.. sayang the $100.. ur good at this!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hahaha, by now, napanood na ng mga nagbabasa ng blog ko no! It seems that everyone except me had planned to watch the play. And knowing my dressing secrets, obvious na yung costume change magic, hehe. =))

    Shet, scary nga ang stairs. I would've stumbled sa first 2 steps pa lang, hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  14. and cindy's slippers are too high also :))

    sheryl is APM of cinderella pala!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yepyep, okie siya. Super ganda talaga ng set! Nakakaaliw din yung special effects niya. Yun talaga ang favorite ko, hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Haha, sing-song nga. His voice also tends to fade in and out at will.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Haha, we needed someone who can be there on short notice. =P

    ReplyDelete
  18. Naku, no na, hahaha. Nakakahiya. I saw the info on Gibbs' blog and Lea will just laugh off my joining. =)

    ReplyDelete
  19. im so inggit! i was supposed to watch the matinee too but had other things to do :( i have to watch! (even if this time, i have to pay huhuhu)

    ReplyDelete
  20. hi, what is new with TP AC? saw the article on Golden Child.. seems interesting.. i miss the production with all the ACs.. they were very good altogether onstage..like in Mulan. I heard some left na.. sigh....

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hahaha, baka it was made that way for it to be seen talaga. =))
    Yepyep, Sheryl's involved in it nga, hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  22. No new news yet. Only a bunch of them are in Golden Child eh, pero not all.

    ReplyDelete
  23. is is true that some have left AC? sad naman...

    ReplyDelete
  24. hope they are still acting,naman.. magagaling lahat eh.. sayang talaga.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Well, nasa kanila naman yan eh, hehe. =)

    ReplyDelete