Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Curtains: Para hindi mo ito maintindihan.

Para hindi mo ito maintindihan was performed at last night's Happy Mondays Poetry Night at Mag:net Katipunan. I don't know if we'll be closing this book right away, but the entire journey was a quite a stimulating and refreshing experience.

Our group first met up at Gateway mall before we hailed a cab to Mag:net. I had brought my trusty oil marker so we can retouch our faded henna tattoos before we had dinner. There were already people coming in to hang out and wait for the event so we never really got to rehearse using the space itself. I finally met Opa's former teacher, Joel Toledo, who was the organizer of Happy Mondays. While we were just sitting around, Joel came up to us clutching the lineup and informed us that we would be performing last as a finale. Huwaw.

So we just hung around some more, talked, as people kept trickling in. The event began sometime around 8:40 in the evening, as Joel had said that they were still waiting for the Batute group to arrive. I have to admit, I have never been to a poetry reading before, so it was refreshing to be at an event such at this. I actually enjoyed that story this one guy read about this girl that was a serial dater. I loved it.

We decided to change into our white T-shirts after the first set of readings, so we headed downstairs to change, warm-up, and throw lines. We ended up staying there until after the intermission, so we never got to watch the Batutes, which my LJ friend Siege is part of.

Went back upstairs after the first reader of the second set, and just stood in the back until everyone was finished. Then finally it was showtime. I honestly had no idea where to position myself, as it seemed that Jenny, Betty and Opa had already chosen specific areas. So I settled myself on a seat at a table near the front where a couple of readers from the first set were sitting.

I have to say, performing at different venues gives this piece a different look each time. You have the opportunity to play around with the space that you have.

Super thanks to those who came and watched! Sir Dennis was there within half an hour after we had texted him the invite. Jenny's friends are so loyal, hahaha. They had already seen us perform at Shotlist, and they were back at Mag:net. Ian also came back to watch, and dragged Nicco along with him, wahahaha. Speaking of Nicco, he had such a funny yet positive way to tell me how I gained weight. Thanks to that, baby bro, hahahaha!

Thanks again to Aba Lluch Dalena for the henna tattoos, to Allan Alcantara for our online poster design, and Ria Torrente for our pictorial photos.

And of course, a million thank yous to my Ingenue buds, Betty Uy-Regala, Jenny Logico and Opaline Rae Santos. The polar bear gave us more than just salmon (and 2 weeks supply of hotdogs, hahaha). We were introduced to more intimate round-table discussions, Grotowski, Artaud, and Colgate. Lab, lab all.

2 comments:

  1. jejejejejeje. :D million dollars na lang..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wahahahaha, gusto ko rin ng million dollars. I'm broke, jejejejejeje.

    ReplyDelete