Thursday, March 19, 2009

Drafted to join the Spelling Bee, ahaha.

When something goes wrong onstage, it's up to the actors' presence of mind to improvise and keep the flow going. The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee requires actors who know how to improvise as there's audience participation involved. I guess that's why they got Joel from SPIT as Vice Principal Douglas Panch, wahahaha.

Because I had class in the evening, I decided to check out the afternoon DTR of Atlantis' Spelling Bee yesterday. Lawyn immediately drafted me as one of the guest spellers so the cast can rehearse with audience members as well as celebrity guest spellers. The other 3 spellers were Jill, Reb and Karl. After a little briefing in the lobby with Chona, it was game time.

Cathy then called us one by one after the opening song, and I ended up sitting between Chip Tolentino (Felix) and Marcy Park (Thea), with a huge number 15 card dangling from around my neck. I was planning to get offstage as soon as I can so I can watch the entire show. But the first word I got was "emperor" so I couldn't make anything up, hahaha. Reb got "bingo", Carl got eliminated, and Jill got "dog." Wahahaha, I really wanted to laugh my ass off onstage (Reb was contagious), especially when I started hearing the obscure words being used in crazy sentences, and when the cast made all 3 of us dance along with them in "Pandemonium" (ending with Reb standing alone upstage with his hands over his eyes, HAHAHAHA!).

Holy kamote, I was the last among the four of us to stay in when I had planned to be one of the first, ahahaha. So anyway, my supposed last word was this obscure word that I knew I'd mess up spelling... but to my surprise, I actually spelled it correctly! Ahaha, because of that, Joel had to call me a second time to spell a second word which I had to spell incorrectly, with Mitch Mahoney (Noel) already standing next to me, armed with the juice box. BWAHAHAHA. This is the reason I didn't want to be the last, ayoko magkaroon ng moment during "Prayer of the Comfort Counselor," ahehehe.

Finally got to sit in my own seat so I can crack up as loud as I want during the rest of the show, hahahaha. The cast was hilarious, right on up until "The Last Goodbye." Hopefully I can get to watch an actual show to catch real audience members and celebrity spellers.

Ahahaha, sure enough, Joel's major note was when I spelled my supposed last word correctly. Eep, my bad. But I actually thought I spelled it wrong! Sorry! Hahahaha! During their dinner, everyone started teasing me that it was my fault because I was such a good speller (nyahahay) and "henyo" daw ako, according to Noel. But Joel was right when he said that at least they had encountered that "problem" during a rehearsal instead of during a show, otherwise, it could happen the same exact way and he wouldn't know what to do, ahehehe.

Even though I didn't get to watch a real show yet, congratulations to Bobby, Chari and the entire cast and crew of Spelling Bee!

To those who want to watch Atlantis Productions' The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee, please do so! It runs at the Carlos P. Romulo Auditorium, RCBC Plaza Makati from March 20th to April 4th. Please contact Atlantis Productions at 892-7078 or 840-1187 for ticket inquiries. Or you can refer to their website for respective blockbuyers of each showdate if you have a specific date in mind. Direct link is here.

14 comments:

  1. Yes. =P Malamang, as it's written on my Facebook status. =P

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehehe! I had the same exact experience during the BlueRep staging! I watched one rehearsal the day before previews. I was the Last guest speller standing. The last song I had was obscure too but I spelled it right apparently! heheh! Then the second word got me na. heheh! :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha i'm watching tonight's preview! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha, super gulat talaga ako that I got the last word right. So Joel sort of panicked and called on me again before I even tried to sit down, hahaha! Kaloka. To quote Joel (taken from his Rocky Horror days), "I refuse to admit that this is my fault." HAHAHAHA! =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mox! Manood ka! Masaya siya, promise! =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. i ushered tonight (because one of the ushers got sick) :D the show was really fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you had fun! Man, I miss the Blue Rep ushers na, hahaha. =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. HUWAW!!! It's starting na on March 20?!? I am sooooo there! Thanks, Hoger! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yepyep! Go watch! It's super fun! =)

    (Hey, you used my signature "huwaw," hahaha!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. hmmmm......................SSSSShhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!

    ReplyDelete