Sunday, March 15, 2009

Recalling workshops, and TP Actors Company's Script Analysis recital.

I was cleaning out the clutter in my email inbox a couple of days ago, wanting to get rid of the unnecessary emails that I had kept due to certain references at certain times. Considering that the first email in my current address was dated back in 2005, I was amused at some of the emails I managed to dig up and read through again along the way.

There were so many emails from the yahoogroup of the first workshop I had attended in Tangahalang Pilipino. It was really the best group I had spent the summer with. As in hindi talaga kami nagsawa sa isa't isa. We hung out at someone's place every Friday night after class, and never went home until the next day, and sometimes until Sunday. Beginning acting pa lang ang class na yun, pero ang laki ng growth ng buong group, not just as actors, but as people as well.

Anyway, I just had to laugh when someone had created a poll in the group (I think it was Fiancee).

May 24, 2006

Sa Loob ng 6 na Linggo na Workshop... Ano Ang Pinakamahirap na Activity we have done in Workshop...? Yung Dibdiban Talaga na Halos Umiyak ka na...!!! The Winner will recieve ! 1 Year Supply of Kropek... "_____VOTE WISELY______"

The results were as follows.

The Poem Verb : 50%
Time & Weather, Enter In__Exit From : 0%
Character Profile : 25%
The Animal Evolution : 16%
Tongue Twister : 8%

Hahaha, "The Poem Verb" activity was when we were required to choose a poem to recite, but inject emotion into the piece using a verb we were given once we were on the acting area. I remember reciting a Sylvia Plath poem, then the 1st verb I got was "punish." Wahahaha, kamusta naman at kung anu-ano na lang ang ginawa ko kay Tupe for that verb. Suddenly he got bored when the 2nd verb I got was "soothe." Other favorite verbs were "charm" and "seduce," both used by Tin, while her crush was visiting the class along with some other actor friends, hahaha!

The animal evolution was one of the funniest exercises we ever did. We each randomly drew out slips of paper with names of animals on them, and we required to research on how they look and move, then show the class how the animal moved, and if it were given human qualities. Kamusta naman ang octopus na naglalaba, namamalantsa at nagtetelebabad all at the same time. I also remembered the parakeet, the gorilla, the squid, the dragon (HAHAHA), and the praying mantis.

Then who could forget the favorite tongue twister. "Minimikaniko ni Moniko ang makina ng minika ni Monica." Run, pose, and say the whole sentence. Merv ran, stopped, and pulled a strip of paper from his pocket. Talagang may kodigo pa eh, hahaha!

It's almost summer. Supposedly workshop time again. But time and budget contraints are in the way so I won't be able to return this year. Sadness.


Went to the TP Actors Company's recital in Script Analyis yesterday. Hahaha, Betty and I were the first ones to arrive outside the Conference Room, so we just hung around in the hallway outside the venue, just talking. Hmmm... just sitting there on the bench triggers certain memories, like hanging out with Aelain and Robi before class began, and sometimes sitting outside with Trency and Rayna, with our scripts on our laps.

Anyway, when Betty and I were about to enter the conference room with Opa, Sir Dennis immediately approached us, asking us to write down quotations on slips of paper that he handed us. As it turned out, this was not only their recital for script analysis, but also for improv. Rosa then called me to say that she was parking her car, and since she doesn't know the way to the venue, I met with her at the entrance and herded her into the conference room. Even after we had returned our slips of paper to Sir Dennis, he was still at it, asking all each of us certain questions so that the answers will be used for the improv.

Sure enough, after Sir Dennis had introduced the Actors Company one by one, it was time for improv, hahaha. They did the familiar story exercise, the Oracle, the shopping list, the quotations, the experts on an obscure object, the talk show and a radio show. Hahaha, everyone was laughing their asses off at whatever the AC managed to come up with.

I miss doing improv. I learned not to fear it during our BA workshop.

Finally, the stage was set for the 2 plays for the evening. Gabun by Tony Perez was up first, featuring Tad and Russell. Basically it was about to guys who discovered that they had the same father. I was in awe watching these two. You can actually feel Jaime's awkwardness towards Adrian, and each guy's sentiments toward their father. Tad had told me a couple of days before about how his character had felt near the end of the play, but I didn't expect my eyes to well up in tears as well as Adrian tearfully told Jaime about their father's suicide, and how he had uttered a different son's name. Heck, I even caught Sir Dennis wiping away his tears after the curtain call.

Silang Mga Nalugmok sa Dilim by Arturo Navarro (a.k.a. Dennis Marasigan, ahehehe) was up next after a brief intermission. Per usual, Riki was quite a standout. Too bad there were these "sayang" moments. I have to say, there were some things that weren't really quite believable. So I may not be a good actor, but there were a few things didn't ring true. But of course, this play still had its highlights, such as the B-plot about Kat and Chrome's characters, despite Chrome's funny amputated leg (HAHAHA). I actually expected what would've become of Tara's character, considering all the circumstances. And of course, Bong's villain uncle.

All in all, the recital was quite good. Congrats to the Actors Company and to Sir Dennis Marasigan!


Before I post this, I just want to share this pretty sight I encountered late this afternoon.


The sun was hiding behind some clouds as it was about to set. The light on the water along the horizon reminded me of those rare days when the sun only chose to shine on certain patches, either to spread the sunlight or to keep it from spreading.

4 comments:

  1. HAHAHAHA. omigosh summer. :( haaay i misssss tp workshop! i miss being a parakeet. i miss ms. tess and ian. :( I miss BA people. :( *seduce*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got your text about the reading. Wanted to check it out sana but we already had plans to watch GA's play in Teatrino. Croo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha, talagang pinapunta kita sa blog na ito eh. At talagang special mention ka dahil ako ang may pakana ng pag-upo ng isang bisita sa harapan mo nung verb mo na, hehehe. =)
    Miss ko talaga ang parakeet mo. Katabi lang kasi ng octopus ko, ahahaha. Da best talaga ang BA.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, sayang. May iba pa silang mga recitals this week, in case na gusto niyo manood. =) Meron sa Tuesday, and the rest, di pa ako sure kung kelan within this week.

    ReplyDelete