Sunday, March 21, 2010

AC recital, BFFs at Greenbelt, and Wedding Singer auditions.

I went to watch the TP Actors' Company's voice and dance recital last on Thursday evening. I always try to watch at least one of their recitals if it's open to the public.

I can actually still remember the first time I heard about the TP Actors' Company's recitals way back in 2005. Some girl had called our office, requesting if Chari could watch Tanghalang Pilipino's recital for their audition class. I remember scribbling the name "Wenah" on my notepad along with her contact number before I had contacted Chari about the phone call.The following weekend, I had the opportunity to watch their company's play, and a day after that, Wenah had called the office again to follow up on her request. After my confirmation of Chari's attendance, I shyly admitted that I had watched their show the day before, but was way too shy to ask about their classes and recitals. I finally got to watch one of their recitals a couple of years later when Nicco was finally part of the company as a scholar.

Anyway, enough of the history lesson.

So I managed to catch the recital that day, and instead of the usual Conference Room as their recital venue, it was at the Little Theater stage, which still had the bleachers set-up onstage as Tatlong Mariya was still running. Sosyal ha, LT na ang recital ng AC, hehe. As it was still a casual event, all guests were told to enter through the backstage entrance. Well, there were really only a few of us who came and watched the show, so it was no biggie.

Unlike the last voice and dance recital I got to watch 2 years ago, this one wasn't in groups. Everyone had to do their own solo song and dance. They alternated each song between each dance, and I have to say that I was pretty impressed, because, hey, I'm no dancer, hahaha. Pero in fairness, parang pang-BP nga ang ginawa nila, hehe. They each choreographed their own dance, and as for the songs, instead of the usual contemporary or musical theater songs, they pulled out monologues from plays and transformed them into songs.

I know I already congratulated them as a shout out on my Facebook, but congratulations again to the TP Actors Company. Idol ko talaga kayo, hehehe.


Dyown had texted me on Thursday night if we could meet up on Friday with Micah. I had to decline, because I might just hang out at The Wedding Singer auditions during the day. By the time I was at home late at night, I changed my mind and told them that I'd meet them.

We met up at Glorietta (we were all late, hahaha), and by the time we were all there, we were starving. Had lunch at Chef D'Angelo and caught up on each other's news. It was great to see Micah and Dyown again. I think the last time I saw them was last year, when they dropped by Taft to meet Nar and me, sometime around February. Anyway, we shared updates, randomness, and the occasional angst over lunch.

After lunch, we had walked aimlessly for a good 15 minutes until we had finally decided to head over to Red Mango in Greenbelt 3. On the way there, we passed by Timezone, and I couldn't resist trying out this new game that seems to be always occupied, Technika. IN fairness, masaya siya. Anyway, after a few games (with Micah still holding her phone while playing air hockey with Dyown), we finally headed up to Red Mango. Yum, frozen yogurt, good company, photo ops, a little more angst, and crazy Dyown anecdotes, hahaha! We killed a little more time than expected, as Micah was still meeting up with her cousins in Trinoma.

Dropped by POC to check out The Wedding Singer auditions for a while, and they kept bugging me to audition that day. Ahahaha, sorry, I couldn't. I left after an hour for RCBC for Avenue Q.


Yesterday was the 2nd day for The Wedding Singer auditions. I had finally gathered enough guts and shame to audition first thing. I had to meet up with Dingdong first so we can walk to Infinitif together, but by the time I had arrived at our meet-up place in Starbucks, he was still home. Arg... Oh well, at least I still had time to kill.

There were already a whole bunch of people at Infinitif when we arrived, and by the time they spotted me, someone was already shoving an audition form in my hand, hahahaha. Anyway, my plan for the day was to just get in there and sing, then walk to RCBC for Avenue Q's matinee show. But after singing my second song, Robbie then told me to stay for the dance callbacks at 2pm. Ack... Pauline was gonna kill me, even though Claire had assured me that it was alright.

Because I wasn't really counting on being at the dance callbacks, I had no extra clothes with me, and to think that I had come in my usual jeans and shirt. The only extra shirt I had was my Avenue Q shirt. By the time almost all the dance callback people had arrived in their dance clothes, I decided to take a chance and change into the other shirt so I can move better. We were then called in groups inside the room for Francis to teach us the dance for "It's Your Wedding Day" chorus. Holy kamote, for the life of me, I can never follow dance steps that quickly, but go pa rin ako, hahaha. After a while, I still couldn't get the hang of the last part, so when our group evacuated the room for the next batch, Anna, Shelyn, Bulinggit and I went two floors up to rehearse the entire dance. Thanks to Bulings, we finally got the hang of it after a while.

After everyone has been taught the dance, we were then called in smaller groups of about 6 people. Holy kamote, here we go. We got to run it twice for rehearsal, then we were told to dance it twice while in two lines. Huwaw. I didn't care anymore how dugyot I looked. Like I used to tell myself, if all else fails, smile na lang, hahaha.

I was sweating like a pig by the time it was over, so I changed back into my other shirt. Then I headed on over to RCBC in time for the ending of Avenue Q's matinee.

I have to say, even though I'm always afraid of auditions, I had a blast yesterday.

6 comments:

  1. Hahaha, salamat Carlowww, maski I doubt callback pa ako after that day, ahehehe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. okay lang yun, it's the experience that matters most. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. True, true. =) Kinukulit kaya ako nila Dyown at Micah na mag audition na nung Friday. Eh nag Red Mango kami, so hindi handa ang boses ko, hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey! :) I think I saw you in Avenue Q last March 20? :) Hahhaha. I was shy to say hi :)) LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahaha, I think I saw you too! But it took me a while to remember your name because all I remember was "one of Meynard's Kate Monsters," hahaha. You look all grown up na compared to the time I saw you at your workshop! =)

    ReplyDelete