Sunday, March 7, 2010

Trekking to UP for They're Playing Our Song.

I saw this event on Facebook that I was invited to not too long ago. It was a thesis production of They're Playing Our Song at UP. Meynard, the director, was the one doing the invites, I think. I loved the music of this particular musical, and what made it even more appealing was that it was free, so of course, I just had to watch.

I had worked with Meynard when I was doing an OJT for Trumpets' The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe, and apparently I had also worked with the guy who's playing Vernon. I had met Jeremy during my first paying job at Atlantis' Urinetown.

Anyway, I haven't had much quality time with Lara and Dingdong in months, so I invited them to come watch with me. We agreed to watch yesterday's matinee at 3pm. We met up at McDonald's Philcoa for lunch (because Lara had no idea how to get there, and that's where I usually get off from my ride from Buendia), then hopped on a jeep to UP. It was already 15 minutes before 3pm when we got to the Faculty Center (the show was at the THY), but the house wasn't open yet, so we had to wait for a few more minutes. Meynard was actually the one who announced open house, and despite the fact that we were told to follow the ushers when they seat us, I still insisted on sitting on the very first row in the middle. Hehe, brat lang. We were almost told by an usher to move to the bleachers, but I think I saw Meynard tell her that it was OK that we already sit there. Yay, thanks, Meynard.

Even though I was very familiar with the play's material for as long as I can remember, I had never seen a performance of They're Playing Our Song, so this was a treat for me. Even though it was just a thesis production of Mica Pineda (the girl who played Sonya), I was entertained during the entire show. Her quirky, upbeat energy complimented Jeremy's uptight character that was still bursting with energy that matched hers. Though there were times in the beginning that her low notes couldn't really be heard, but she warmed up pretty quickly. The alter egos were quite a sight to see in their sparkly retro costumes, but it seems as if the ladies lack a little bit of energy to mirror Sonya's. The guys, on the other hand, were funnier to watch, especially when they transformed themselves into that British car with headlights and a trunk, plus a little smoke to boot when the car overheated, hahaha! And I don't know if it was just me, but there was a time during the dinner when when Sonya looked a little too spaced out while she was looking directly into Vernon's eyes, as if she wasn't really listening, just waiting for her cue. Oh well.

But comments aside, we totally enjoyed the play. Let's just say that it was the right play to watch at the right time. =)

Congratulations to Mica Pineda (nice meeting you, by the way), Jeremy Aguado and Meynard Penalosa. Good job, you guys!

Lara, Dingdong and I walked to Chocolate Kiss after the show so we can talk and bond over dinner. Haha, we even made a little stopover at a fishball vendor behind the Music building to have some chicken balls as appetizer.

Quotable quotes of yesterday.
- (About auditions) "Di pa ako ready kumanta." "Pero handa ka nang maghubad?"
- (When Dingdong's dessert orders weren't available) "Sir, kumain na raw po kasi kayo. Hindi available ang mga order niyo eh."
- Lara the "hermitanyo."

It was a day really well-spent. Lara and I spent the entire commute home just talking, right on until when we reached outside my village, where "the other Lara" was picking her up. It's great being with both my dashing divas again.

4 comments:

  1. are there other shows pa? would love to see this again. i love this show! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, today was their last show day. =(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sayang, I didn't hear about it sooner. I would have loved to see it again.

    ReplyDelete