Monday, August 25, 2008

Two musicals.

So I attended my first rehearsal of Kapeng Malamig last Saturday afternoon. It was great to see Gino again, my workshop superfriend, hahaha. Went to the venue with Lara, as Jojo wasn't able to attend that day.

Holy kamote, after a brief warm-up, sinalang na kami agad for choreography. My golly, I haven't been in a musical in ages, nor danced as much. I'm not really much of a dancer, and I'm not very enthusiastic if I know that there's something I can't do. Thank goodness Jerome's choreography was easy enough. Maybe it was because I got used to Roeder's dance exercises, hahaha. I remembered how to turn by recalling what he taught us, and I giggled as Gino did a jazz walk. Okay, one dance number down pat.

After a break, we finally got introduced to the production manager. Talked to her regarding the usual matters, plus background of the theatre group and additional stuff. By the time we were done talking, the rest of the cast had already begun to choreograph another production number. The first time they rehearsed it, I was waiting for my turn to talk to the PM (one-on-one), and Geli, the stage manager, put me among the ensemble again. My face was completely blank, but I managed to follow the steps as easily, thanks to a couple of cast members who would pull my hand and whisper as to what to do, yay. So anyway, Tiffy, our director, had decided to re-block and redo the choreography. Hahaha, it looked as if it were choreography for a boyband's dance number, hahaha. But in fairness, I actually enjoyed dancing the whole day.

When I woke up on Sunday morning, I had expected my thighs and arms to be really sore because I wasn't used to dancing that much. Sure enough, I was sore, but just a little.

Off to RCBC after mass for Peachy's thesis. Songs For A New World had to run a DTR at around 2pm, and because I will be working at the front of house, I needed to watch the DTR so I could see the entire show. Peachy briefed me on the distribution of the remaining tickets, as well as the pending payments, plus the selling of the souvenir program. Because of the weird price, we realized that we didn't have enough smaller bills for change, so Sundee and I went to the parking area to break some change. Managed to break a couple of large bills at their office, yay.

The DTR began past 4pm, so I settled in my seat a couple of minutes before the run started. The ushers trickled in one by one during the show, except for Jhelo and Bulinggit, who had arrived before the DTR. Yay for Mimay, who was to be my right-hand man at the FOH. It was tough to find ushers for that day, especially because the Blue Rep gang was paying to watch this event. By the time Joms had arrived, I was only one usher short because Elai never arrived. Oh well, balcony's pretty easy to handle anyway, plus Joms had told me that he had perfect attendance during Avenue Q's farewell run.

By the time people started arriving, the front of house was crazy. People came up to us by the dozen to claim their tickets and to pay for them. For a while, I never got to follow Peachy's ticketing chart. Oh well. But it was great to see a whole lot of people, most of them being familiar faces. Even friends that I haven't seen in ages appeared! I just love the turnout.

I was so glad when the show finally started. Mimay and I bummed around the lobby with the rest of the ushers, like I used to do during Atlantis shows. Camwhoring and talking galore, plus hogging Taste Temptations' yummy cookies and pastries, hahaha.

I have to say, Peachy and Janina's thesis was a big success. I could hear the huge burst of applause and loud cheers through the double doors after every song number, and the audience crowded the entire lobby for almost an hour, congratulating people, mingling, taking photos ops, etcetera. Now this was a really great idea for a thesis. What a turnout!

Congratulations to Peachy, Janina, Robbie, Carla, Caisa, Anna, Harold, Felix and everyone who was involved in Songs For A New World! Can't wait for the rerun of this one!

10 comments:

  1. i've never ushered with bluerep. i was always part of the audience :( but if this would have reruns, then i guess bluerep would be more than happy to usher :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks thanks again for the big help and salvation =)) hahaha!! RERUN!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Hogi for all your help! mwah =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, try it next time Atlantis gets BlueRep to usher for their shows. It's actually fun. =) I sure hope this show will do a rerun... then usher for us! =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. No problem! All for the love of Peachykins! =) YES! RERUN! *cough*backstage*cough*

    Hehehehe. =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. No prob, Anna! Congrats again! You guys were great! =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for the support Hogi! Sorry I can't be your human calculator that night. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha, it's alright, Harold, I came prepared and brought my own. Otherwise I would've dragged you offstage second before the show began, HAHAHAHA! Congrats again! =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hehe. Nandun naman si "Rachel" para tulungan ka. =P

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hahaha! Ah, yes, si "Rachel." Baliw talaga yang si Mimay, hahaha. =P

    ReplyDelete